INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC took over my laptop  (Read 3427 times)

bigmun01

• Recent member
MC took over my laptop
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:41:37 pm »

After downloading .97, MC took over my laptop.
MC won't open itself, and the MC icon now appears over the shortcuts for several other programs, (i.e. IE9) none of which will open either.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times from the interact section, as a new download from the download section, and from the 16.75 download saved in my download files.
I re-downloaded MC15.74 from the forum, and it works perfectly.
It's like the file associations for MC16 are out of whack. Perhaps I did something to cause this, but I don't know what, other than that I set MC as the default bluray player.
I have reset all program defaults repeatedly between reinstallations, but after every reinstallation, MC16 takes over the other programs again, and won't run them or run itself.
I am at a loss, and would appreciate help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC took over my laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 02:00:56 pm »

I've never heard of this kind of problem.

Is there anything unusual about your setup?

Are you saying that some of your desktop icons have been switched to MC?

The file association you did may have been incorrect.  Associating with MC16 with exe, for example.  Try reversing your changes.

bigmun01

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 02:10:09 pm »

There is nothing unusual about my setup, it's the same as it has always been.
Yes, the MC icon appears over top of the various shortcuts on my laptop. None of them will open, includin MC16, as I said.
I have put all program defaults back in place each time, and as soon as I reinstall MC16, it takes over again.
I don't know what to do. I have had virtually no problems with MC in the past, and this is quite frustrating.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 02:13:57 pm »

Try doing a full disk scan of your system drive.  This will require a reboot to perform.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 02:20:55 pm »

It isn't that I don't believe you, but this is REALLY weird.  I agree the disk check is in order, but can you post a screenshot of this?  I want to see for myself what is happening...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 02:39:45 pm »

I do have an idea... I think your Icon Cache is corrupt.  It isn't really specific to installing MC per-say, but once the cache is corrupt, installing ANY new application will cause it to go all crazy.

Here are some generalized manual instructions: http://smallvoid.com/article/windows-icon-cache.html

Here is a really nice set of instructions (including a nice BAT file that does it automatically) for Windows 7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

Here are some simplified manual instructions from Microsoft for Windows 7:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/icon-cache-gets-corrupted-after-installing-new/d92093bf-b424-4f67-8bb4-53112355dcfb

Similarly, the same type of thing can happen with Thumbnails, by the way (picture and video files showing in Thumbnail mode in Windows Explorer), and here are some easy directions to fix that problem: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 02:48:29 pm »

PS.  If you happen to be on Windows XP, using Tweak UI is easier than doing it manually.  If so, just ask how and I'll explain.

bigmun01

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 08:37:42 am »

Thank you for your suggestions, although I'm not sure what 'not seeing the problem before', or expressions of doubt in my believability means. I have no reason to make this up, and try not to be a bother on these pages. This problem, however, whatever the cause, is real and is beyond my modest abilities to correct.
I tried all the steps you graciously suggested, but the end result is the same. Each time I reinstall or re-download, (whichever version), MC16  reappears, will not open, and it's icon appears over the icons of numerous other programs (i.e. IE9, my Verizon Wireless modem, Reaper. and others). It tries to open these programs, and can't. My program defaults are all set to their proper places, according to the default manager. (My MC15 version  continues to work fine throughout).
I wish I knew how to show you the before and after, but I don't.
For what it's worth, the change occurs while the install wizard is running. The icon appears over the other programs at this point, and installation continues. (I've tried 'custom intallation, and deselecting all file associations on that screen. This doesn't help). When installation is finished, MC refuses to open.
Just so you know, I run windows 7-64 Home on an HP laptop.
Thanks again for your help. This is, however, a holiday weekend, and I surely hope you don't spend it on my problem  It can wait till next week.

Alexx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Now I feel wonderful!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 09:18:49 am »

Just so you know, I run windows 7-64 Home on an HP laptop.

I have the exact same system and experienced the exact same problem.  For me however, I ended up having to use HP Recovery to get my laptop up and running again.  Everything was froze solid.  I was able to get everything fixed by doing a system restore under the HP Recovery program.  The problem occured when I enabled Video under MC's Features.  I DO NOT believe this to be an MC problem however, but some sort of interference with an HP program.  I still use MC, but have not yet had the courage to enable video again.  Maybe someday....  I use MC for mainly audio anyway and that works flawlessly on my HP 7-64 laptop.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 09:19:47 am »

Uninstall MC and choose "remove registry entries" when you do so.  Then reinstall.  You will lose all settings.

I think you may have associated MC with exe files.

Alexx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Now I feel wonderful!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 09:46:16 am »

Uninstall MC and choose "remove registry entries" when you do so.  Then reinstall.  You will lose all settings.

I think you may have associated MC with exe files.

Jim, you nailed it EXACTLY.  However this happened by using Window's default programs settings.  If you just blindly have windows select everything, it also includes *.exe files.  You need to use the manual selection process and skip the *.exe setting.  Very unusual that this is even listed there but there it is and that explains what happened.  It had nothing to do with the video setting.  Good call Jim, as usual.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 10:26:05 am »

Thank you for your suggestions, although I'm not sure what 'not seeing the problem before', or expressions of doubt in my believability means. I have no reason to make this up, and try not to be a bother on these pages. This problem, however, whatever the cause, is real and is beyond my modest abilities to correct.

I was NOT suggesting that I didn't believe you.  I was trying to understand the exact manifestation of the problem, and sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.  Hence:

It isn't that I don't believe you, but this is REALLY weird.

If it isn't Jim's idea, and it isn't the Icon Cache, then I'm out of ideas for now.  Clearing the icon cache can be tricky though....

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 10:49:25 am »

I had this problem under Vista at one time, but not related to MC.  Same symptoms but with other programs. I never could pinpoint it and ended-up creating another user account and re-doing the desktop.  You might try creating another Admin account and see if the problem occurs there too (assuming you're running with full privileges).  If it doesn't then you have some kind of corrupted user file. 

Since then, now under Win7, I always run my day-to-day as a limited user.

bigmun01

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 09:33:49 am »

I followed Alexx' advice, did an HP restore, and reinstalled 16.0.75. It worked perfectly. I'm still a little wary about further updating-don't want to push my luck
Thanks for the help.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 11:24:15 am »

It worked perfectly. I'm still a little wary about further updating-don't want to push my luck

Really, your wariness should be directed towards Windows.  :-)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

bigmun01

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 11:41:55 am »

I'm sure you are right. I went to.87 and all is well so far.
Pages: [1]   Go Up