INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red October and Subs  (Read 2819 times)

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • MC Nerd
Red October and Subs
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:47:45 pm »

I'm just wondering if RO works with external subs? I can get it work with internal ones, but not external files it seems.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
Re: Re: Red October and Subs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:11:54 pm »

Ffdshow can load ext subs depending on the config.  If ro doesn't config them it should.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

JohnT

Re: Red October and Subs
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:29:10 pm »

RO is supposed to be configuring ffdshow to handle external subs.  We'll take a look at it tomorrow.  A sample file might be useful if we can't replicate the problem here.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:55:12 am »

I'm used to using FFDShow to get my subs so I can be of some help if you let me know what the RO settings are as far as this is concerned. I think it would be helpful to testers if we knew what all the settings are actually. That way we might be able to suggest what might be going wrong. If that info was in a sticky while RO is being debugged, it might make things faster...

In my testing I put a sub file the same name as the movie in the same directory as the movie, and in a folder called subs. Neither worked.

On a related note, some of the subs look like ffdshow subs and others look "bad". I haven't really had time to test and look at what is in the graphs.

Edit:
One thing I forgot to mention is that I did have the subs working with the same filters as RO HD before so they should work.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 01:35:17 am »

If that info was in a sticky while RO is being debugged, it might make things faster...

It should be documented on the Wiki.  That'll make it easy to keep current as changes are made.  Having the information will always be useful to replicate the settings yourself (maybe except for one specific tweak) if you want/need to do things manually.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 09:31:12 am »

I agree, however I thought maybe JR wanted to keep that information under wraps from competition... so this way it is out there at least until we can help stamp out all the bugs.

I had a thought about subs and ffdshow. It would be really good if MC located the sub files using heuristics. It could then list them in the subs menu just like internal subs, setup the filters settings as needed and the point ffdshow directly to the file(s) instead of trying to set ffdshow in some manner to find the files on its own. This is much a much better experience for the end user and it more foolproof. It also is not done by any viewer software that I know of, putting MC at the front of the pack in this respect.

Finally it seems that MC is not setting the sub settings in LAVsplitter. When I first started testing subs would not work because of things I had set there. I played with them a bit and internal subs started working.

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 10:41:23 am »

I'm used to using FFDShow to get my subs so I can be of some help if you let me know what the RO settings are as far as this is concerned. I think it would be helpful to testers if we knew what all the settings are actually. That way we might be able to suggest what might be going wrong. If that info was in a sticky while RO is being debugged, it might make things faster...
The best way to debug our Red October ffdshow settings is to:
1. go into Options / Video and select "Red October with additional filters"
2. for the video file type you're viewing,  select "JRiver video engine..." and select "ffdshow Video Decoder" under "Other filters"
3. play the file and right-click and configure the ffdshow video decoder
4. make our preset the current one "JR_DecodeVideo_PlaybackPCM (or Bitstream)" - this has the settings we're using while in Red October automatic mode
5. now tweak the settings until it works for you and let us know what needs tweaking

Oh and for some reason our preset is setting the Subtitle filter to "do not show" in the configuration so you'll need to go into the "show/hide" ffdshow option and move the subtitles over to the "show" column. 

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 11:11:41 am »

Cool. Might want to put that info as a sticky still. I now recall it being mentioned in another thread, but forgot.

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:18:40 pm »

Cool. Might want to put that info as a sticky still. I now recall it being mentioned in another thread, but forgot.
Good idea, I just created a sticky topic on it:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64475.0

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 08:51:15 am »

I own some Chinese Blu-ray's. When I rip I can choose to mux untouched subtitles (PSG) or copy untouched subtitles (PSG). I tried both methods last week, but could only get the muxed subtitles to show. Is there one method that is better than the other for use in MC?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:48:33 pm »

If by copy you mean it creates a subtitle file next to the movie then don't do that.  Take the Mux option always as the Splitter can then see it and create it as a separate stream. Subtitle Files have are not seen by the Splitter so have to be read by a later filter in the (eg in this case FFDSHOW).
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 04:08:05 pm »

Okay, I'll make sure I mux. In case anyone is interested, I switched from Another EAC3to GUI Plus to BluRip since (A) I can now decode DTS-HD and don't need to convert to FLAC and (B) BluRip supports PGS Subtitles. This method keeps the original video, audio and subtitles.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 04:44:57 pm »

Thanks - I really wish that Mike Elby would add just a couple of things to "Another EAC3to GUI Plus" and then I could one click my HD-DVD's:
Hi Mike, I'm not sure if you plan any more updates?

Anyway, there has been some development that may be worth noting:
1) SUBS: Blu-ray PGS Subtitles Rendering is now supported by FFDSHOW and others, so an option to not convert to VobSub would be good. Note: That the HD-DVD PGS still need to be converted to the Blu-ray PGS Subtitle
2) DD+: This format can now be decoded and bitstreamed (just added to LAVAudio), so a Version that Includes support for untouched DD+ Tracks would be great.

Thanks
Nathan

I'll retest BluRip but from memory it does not support HD-DVD.  For Blu's I'm no longer going to mux to MKV - I'm just going to rip the structure to the HDD and import/tag the MPLS files I want (this way you get alt endings, etc from one rip).
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 06:29:35 pm »

Subtitle Handling in V105 with the following config is to me PERFECT  ;D over my test files:
- MC: RO (std), Default Audio = "No Default Audio", Subtitle Mode = "Show subtitle only if selected subtitle language is different from audio language" & Default language = "English" + ensured that Playback Info was blanked out!
- LAVSplitter: I'm not sure if this is the RO Default but mine is set as attached pic
- FFDSHOW:  I'm not sure if this is the RO Default but mine is set as attached pic

Test Files:
- BD (Avatar & District 9: Both the Audio and Sub Tracks are Language Labled) = Perfect!  Selected the English Forced Subs
- BD (Pans Labyrinth:  Both the Audio and Sub Tracks are Language Labled) = Perfect!  Selected the Spanish Sound Track (primary) with the Full English Subs. 
- M2TS (HD Camcorder:  Neither the Audio or Sub Tracks are Language Labled) = Perfect!  Selected "No Subs" even though there was a "Forced Subs (Auto)" which would of also been OK to select as it is "empty"
- VOBSUBS (DVD rip to MPG - BigBang:  Neither the Audio or Sub Tracks are Language Labled) = Perfect!  Selected the "No Subs" stream
- TXTSUBS (DVD rip to MPG - West Wing: No Audio Language Label, and N/A for Subs) = Perfect!  Subtitles = Off

Notes: 

1) Language Settings:  The entering of the Preferences for Language in MC/FFDSHOW/LAV is very important and I don't think well understood on how it works.  I recommend that for Audio Lang they are all left BLANK or "No Default Audio" (eg if I put in ENG then I get issues with PANS as it selects the secondary Audio Track with while in English is a Commentary Track).  This then gets the users the first/default Audio Track from which the correct subtitles can be selected based MC Subtitle Handling Options (eg Subtitle Mode = "Show subtitle only if selected subtitle language is different from audio language" & Default language = "English")

2) Language Labeling on Audio/Sub Tracks:  Keep in mind that many streams don't have Language Labels at all so the default of the primary Audio Track and No Subs is a good one

3) Playback Info:  This will keep the preference for which Streams are manually selected and they are used next time to override the defaults.  This is great but it does not currently store the "Subtitle=On/Off" selection for text subs (eg it only stores Stream Info) so it always plays as "Off" by default.

JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 09:29:43 am »

Thanks - I really wish that Mike Elby would add just a couple of things to "Another EAC3to GUI Plus" and then I could one click my HD-DVD's:
Please offer him an MC license.
Pages: [1]   Go Up