INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist in Main Window Setting  (Read 2953 times)

pinoyputi

• Recent member
Playlist in Main Window Setting
« on: June 16, 2011, 02:03:32 am »

In Media Monkey they have a script available to show in a column if a track is included in a playlist. First by showing the name of the playlist and secondly by a count of the number of playlists that the track is included. This is done by a script. And places the name of the playlist in a custom column/field which you can rename later.Is this possible in Media Center 16 or would it be possible to add this feature to MC16.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Playlist in Main Window Setting
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 03:18:52 am »

In MC the playlist info is not available in a column. The tooltip shows the playlists in which the audio track is included. (Options > Tree & View > List > Show track info tooltips)

In Action Window > Tag > Playlists you can see the same info and when you click the Playlists field you get an expanded window that allows to add or remove the track to/from any playlist. The latter works also when you have selected more than one track. In this expanded window you can also right-click a playlist and select "Edit Playlist in Action Window".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pinoyputi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 03:26:25 am »

Thanks. Didnt know that yet but have to say I prefer the MM method because you're able to see lots of tracks in an instance.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:43:44 am »

Not a bad idea, actually. Perhaps the developers could add "Playlists" to the available columns. If the track is included in only one or a few playlists a single line could show the field data (maybe after adjusting the column width). When a track is included in many playlists the field would probably be truncated, but a popup could show all playlists when hovered over. This works fine with some other fields - for example with Lyrics and Keywords.

Clicking a field in the Playlists column and pressing F2 (or right-click > Rename...) could open the same edit view that is available in Action Window > Tag > Playlists... - similarly like the Keywords can be edited in a list view.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pinoyputi

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 03:52:53 am »

How to get this idea to developers! Are you, as a member of Beta Team, in contact with the developers. If so I have another request, I want to be able to change the location where to export all playlists.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 04:09:40 am »

The JRiver developers participate actively these forum discussions. So the request is already delivered...  ;)

However, I just noticed that this thread is in the Media Jukebox board. As far as I know, Media Jukebox 14 is not anymore under development. MJ14 is a simplified, audio only version, of Media Center 14. The current Media Center version is MC16. Any new features are likely to be implemented only in MC16. (Unless, of course, JRiver decides to introduce a new Media Jukebox version that is based on the current Media Center version).

EDIT

I read your first post again. Since you mentioned MC16, probably you just posted to the wrong board. (Not a big deal, the administrators can fix this.)

pinoyputi

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 04:12:37 am »

Thanks! Media Jukebox is my mistake. I'm using MC16 already but now to the writing of posts. So somewhere along the line I made a mistake.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 04:41:02 am »

In addition, I just checked the expression language instructions, but apparently it does not offer anything that would work with playlists.

Otherwise the Media Center expression language provides a huge amount of possibilities.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_expression_language

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 04:20:46 pm »

Bump

I read your first post again. Since you mentioned MC16, probably you just posted to the wrong board. (Not a big deal, the administrators can fix this.)

Thanks! Media Jukebox is my mistake. I'm using MC16 already...

Could an admin please move this thread?

IMHO, the idea is good and deserves more attention than it gets here. I do most of my tagging in list views and it would be great to have also a Playlists column available.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 05:59:08 pm »

I attached a couple of mockups. The first one shows how the playlists could be displayed when hovered over. In the second mockup the edit mode is activated. It could provide the same features as the Playlists field in Action Window > Tag.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 06:15:22 pm »

Suggestion, if implemented: s/;/^M/g in the hover tooltip please.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 02:25:12 pm »

Alex, this is a good idea.

I'm a little nervous about what it could do to performance, because getting a file's list of playlists is not particularly fast, especially on a library with 1000's of playlists.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 04:20:15 pm »

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 04:20:34 pm »

Alex, this is a good idea.

I'm a little nervous about what it could do to performance, because getting a file's list of playlists is not particularly fast, especially on a library with 1000's of playlists.

Hmm... probably so, but wouldn't it affect performance only if the column is in the current view? The users would be able to choose if they want to have it visible.

Would it be possible to store (and maintain) the generated playlist name lists in a library field after they are created? Then it would be faster after the initial use.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 05:17:34 pm »

?

Sorry, old Unix guy reference (sed or perl)

It means substitute newlines for the semi-colons.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 05:44:49 pm »

I see.

That could work for a few playlists, but if a track is in more than about ten playlists perhaps the above tooltip style would be better. The tooltip in that "screenshot" is actually from the Keywords field.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 03:29:21 pm »

Coming in 16.0.117:
NEW: Added 'Playlists' column that can be added to any list to show the playlists that a file is in.

For now, the column is read-only.  Someday it would be nice to add write support, but I don't know if it will happen for v16.

The column will be slower than a simple database field, but still plenty fast for normal users.  We cache the playlists (so new playlists or playlist deletes will take a few seconds to appear), and use lookup maps for any large playlists.

My machine can fulfill about 40,000 requests per second and a list normally only shows 100 or so.  I have quite a lot of playlists.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pinoyputi

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 01:55:13 am »

HI Guys,

I am proud to initiated a new feature in MC 16. Will try to think of some more useful idea's. I would love to see some more action on the visual side. Love the looks of the latest Zune software but hate the functionality.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 07:06:59 am »

HI Guys,

I am proud to initiated a new feature in MC 16. Will try to think of some more useful idea's. I would love to see some more action on the visual side. Love the looks of the latest Zune software but hate the functionality.
If you haven't used it, you might try Theater View.  Hit F11 a couple of times.

pinoyputi

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 01:55:18 pm »

I did use the theater view and I like it too but no skin comes close to the latest Zune looks. Secondly I seem to have some problem importing new skins. I see them all right in the folders but not under skin to be selected in tools/options/theater view/appearance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up