INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server makes my radio reboot continuosly  (Read 4944 times)

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
Media Server makes my radio reboot continuosly
« on: July 16, 2011, 01:31:58 pm »

Hi!

I recently bought a Pinell Explorer radio, a product from a smaller norwegian manufactor. The specification on this bargain of a multi-purpose radio is really well, but unfortunatly, it seems to have quite some bugs when it comes to media networks, specially MC's dlna server. I am hoping to get it to work just like the JRiver ID, that would have been sweet :-) You may read a translated review of the radio here:
http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=no|en&u=http://itpro.no/artikkel/15689/pinell-explorer

The problem is that whenever Media Server is running on the same network as the radio, it chokes and reboot. I notice that MC recognize it as a zone actually, but since it goes into a reboot loop, it's useless anyway. According to the manual, it is supposed to handle push media from Windows Media Player (UPNP, not DLNA). I guess Microsoft aint the best company to follow standards, and since the radio has been tested with WMP in mind, I guess there is some differences that MC triggers so that it reboot.

My two questions are:
I want to help Pinell with as much logs and details about MC Media Server as possible, and was hoping you could point me in the direction  where those might be located? Would the regular MC log contain details about what is sent upon connection etc? Or are there other logs to provide them?

Also, if there are settings I could try on the media server to make the protocol identical to WMS, any hints would be very much appretiated! :)
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server makes my radio reboot continuosly
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 06:40:43 pm »

If they are willing to test, please let them know we'll provide a license and assist in any way we can.   You could tell them to email jimh at jriver for a license.  Thanks.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:48:05 pm »

This sounds like a problem the rpalmer68 has had before and it is related to the chipset used in the device not liking a particular packet.  I'm sure rpalmer68 will chip in.
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 07:05:22 pm »

Yes that radio appears to use the same radio/network module as the OXX radio which I was having issues with.  http://www.frontier-silicon.com/products/modules/venice6.2.htm

The radio seems to receive some sort of UDP broadcast packet and reboots itself.

I have a USB print server that makes it reboot when I have uPnP enabled on it, and for quite some time now MC does the same thing and makes it reboot.
I'm not sure what the packet is that causes the reboot, but I know it used to happen with MC, then MC fixed a broadcast storm bug in MC14.0.120 and the reboots stopped in later MC14 versions. Then sometime  in the MC15 development cycle when all the dlna stuff was being worked on the reboots started happening again.

Other dlna servers I've tried didn't seem to cause the reboot, but I'm not sure what exactly what packet MC sends out that triggers it.

I tried for 12 months to get the module manufactrer to look at the issue, I even send them network captures (using wireshark) when my print server was causing the reboot but they never did anything.

I still have the nework capture files if anybody wants to look at them.

I gave up and sold my OXX radio in the end.

Richard

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 06:09:30 am »

Thanks for the swift responses! I'll try to get hold on someone at Pinell tomorrow, but due to summer vacation I don't expect much this week :-)

Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 02:36:52 am »

I still have the nework capture files if anybody wants to look at them.

Pinell were willing to adress this with Frontier, so would you perhaps be so kind as to send the network capture from your testing? I'll try to make some of my own as well.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 02:54:32 am »

Sure, will be interesting to see how they go as the Australian company emailed frontier (I have copies of the emails) and they got nowhere.

PM me your email address and I'll forward what I have through to you.

Richard

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 08:55:23 am »

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 01:05:20 pm »

Sure, will be interesting to see how they go as the Australian company emailed frontier (I have copies of the emails) and they got nowhere.

PM me your email address and I'll forward what I have through to you.

Richard
This should be working for you as of build 16.0.152

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 03:59:36 pm »

This should be working for you as of build 16.0.152

I gave up and got rid of my DAB+ radio as the problem was there for so long.... maybe zirum can confirm if it's now fixed?

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 07:36:26 am »

Hi All!

Did not notice that things had happended in this thread. This is in fact fixed now, works like a charm :-)

Thanks a lot, bob and jriver!

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 02:58:33 am »

I have just purchased an internet radio that uses the same modue as the Pinell Explorer radio and my old OXX that I got rid of (because of the rebooting issue).

The new radio is rebooting all the time like my OXX used to when it connectes to the network.

Is it possile the fix implemented in 16.0.152 has not made it to the V17 builds?  Or maybe has been reversed at some stage?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 04:36:46 am »

Hi Richard, I'm out of town but can retest on my oxx radio when back.  It was OK last I checked but that was a while ago.
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 07:42:18 am »

By chance I turned off my old d-link access point (DWL-G700AP) tonight and suddenly the radio isn't rebooting.

Very odd, not sure what an AP could be doing to cause it but the other access points (different brands) aren't an issue so it must be something with the d-link unit. 

If I can be bothered I'll dig deeper, or just replace the d-link :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 01:54:19 pm »

By chance I turned off my old d-link access point (DWL-G700AP) tonight and suddenly the radio isn't rebooting.

Very odd, not sure what an AP could be doing to cause it but the other access points (different brands) aren't an issue so it must be something with the d-link unit. 

If I can be bothered I'll dig deeper, or just replace the d-link :)
Does the dlink do UPnP? The Noxon radio which I think has the same chipset as the one you have was really touchy about the discovery protocol. I'd guess the dlink is doing the same pretty obscure thing we were doing when it gave us trouble.

Current versions still work with the Noxon so I'd guess we aren't the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up