INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gtgray's stability problems  (Read 1761 times)

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
gtgray's stability problems
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:06:47 am »

You can be doing something as simple as choosing shutdown from the exit Theater View and see the Media Center Dialog box come up with Media Center has stopped. Just simple navigation can cause it.  

Yeah, there is logging.. but I hate to say it, JRiver is just not robust enough and is far too easy to hang, stop, crash whatever, for a version 16 it is pretty amazing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: gtgray's stability problems
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:23:24 am »

Please see the link called "Stability" in my signature for more ideas.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:24:12 am »

Suggesting that Microsoft Security Essentials is the problem, or a problem is stupifying. If there is an interaction between Essentials and MC that cause stability problems in MC... then JRiver has an obligation to fix that, not expect the end users to remove Essentials. That is definitely getting the cart ahead of the horse. Essentials is just what its name implies and while installed separately is for all practical purposes and intents just part of the OS. And that alternative is.. no real time anti-virus software.. is that  seriously JRiver position?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:27:14 am »

Suggesting that Microsoft Security Essentials is the problem, or a problem is stupifying. If there is an interaction between Essentials and MC that cause stability problems in MC... then JRiver has an obligation to fix that, not expect the end users to remove Essentials. That is definitely getting the cart ahead of the horse. Essentials is just what its name implies and while installed separately is for all practical purposes and intents just part of the OS. And that alternative is.. no real time anti-virus software.. is that  seriously JRiver position?
If you will take a look at the "Weird Problems" thread (link in my signature), you will find several pages of problems which started out looking like MC problems and turned out to be something else.  Each one took some time to solve.

I'm not saying that it isn't an MC problem, but you have to be willing to try some things and to provide some details in order to find out what the problem is.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:54:09 pm »

I am not unwilling to try things. I have this running on 4 boxes 3 of which I have spent some significant time on. As I have said in other posts they are all rock solid boxes. Only time they burp is in JR MC.

These are solid working boxes, that for the most part only have the OS installed. They do run the Ceton Network Utility but that is about it. I was trying to run MC options -remote setup on the one I am typing from.  3 times out of 4 when you would try to finish remote setup MC would stop.  It finished and it works.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:04:33 pm »

Please start a thread and provide technical details, including a log.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 01:28:27 pm »

These are solid working boxes, that for the most part only have the OS installed. They do run the Ceton Network Utility but that is about it. I was trying to run MC options -remote setup on the one I am typing from.  3 times out of 4 when you would try to finish remote setup MC would stop.  It finished and it works.
Ceton is something different.  Could be a factor.

By remote setup, I assume you mean that you were in Options/Remote Control.

A long pause where MC is unresponsive is not normal, but it may just be extremely busy and Windows says it's not responding.

Are you doing anything unusual at all.  Remote Desktop, for instance.  Anything else unusual about your setup?  If you will take a look at the "Weird Problems" thread, you will find that there are a lot of surprising things that can cause problems.

As Matt implied, it's difficult to help without full details.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 12:59:34 am »

For me the problem is totaly random. Like tonight, I went to show my wife a couple of You Tube videos. I had been in WMC watching CNNHD via the Ceton. Exited WMC. Started MC 16 navigated to TV> You Tube first video I selected boom. Used the task manager to get thigs closed. Restarted MC navigated to You Tube. Played 15 videos without incident, did not launch the one that stopped MC last time.

I guess I will bombard you with logs.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 01:25:23 am »

No... nothing unless mapping an HP remote is unusual. On the clarksdale it went without incident. On the Sandy Bridge it required doing it the 4 times until it was saved.  I may be different than other users in that I will have to be in an out of WMC. I have a Ceton, the Ceton is a dedicated WMC app. I always exit WMC through shutdown, close. Then launch MC16. I was autostarting MC 16 but I found that caused too many steps in and out of WMC.

The Clarksdale hosts the Ceton.... it is my main HTP. I will be movig the Ceton into a dedicated box hopefully with WHS 2011 very soon. Not because of MC 16 but because I want to use power management more effectively on the main HTPC. I do use sleep on that PC. I will exit to the desktop and set the PC to sleep over night, waking it in the morning. I want the Ceton host to be 24x7 with no power management so I have build a low power server and if the plan goes right it will be a WHS 2011 box and also back up the other 4 or 5 boxes.

I do not crash or hang ever anywhere but in MC 16. It never seems to happen on the MC Audio side, only the video side and again it can be navigating the rollers, or just exiting TheaterView. I chose shutdown from the TheaterView menu and boom. My PC will never, never crash doing a shutdown from the desktop, from Windows update, or WMC.  Drivers are current, bios is current, windows patches are current. It can play HD cable till the cows come home without a burble while serving 2 other PC with HD Cable. It can run HD Homeruns for days and days without a burble. I do have PowerDVD on the box but that was done only a week ago as I am not ready to splurge on AnyDVD HD and I had PowerDVD Ultra 10. It works witout drama.

As I mentioned in the other thread I can go back to logging everyting and sending in the logs for both PCs. They are not in MC everyday or ever all day. Truth be told in the month or two that I have been fooling with JRiver I have seen crash, hang, stop whatever always with diaglog boxes at least 150 times across the 4 machines. None of those boxes every missed a beat in any activity during that same time period.

My wife watches Netflix on the notebook, always through WMC... I don't want to explain to her why MC stops and requires the task manager trying to get connected to Neftlfix.

So logs will come, but these boxes are not special in their cofiguration in anyway. All but the notebook are running RO advanced, so LAV CUVID and madVR. The surpising thing is that I don't really sit and watch content with the app very often. If I do once the content is playing past the first part it plays fine.

Enough from me, logs will have to speak to this. I can't live without AV software and if any AV software should be media app friendly it is MSE..

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 06:33:36 am »

Did you look through the weird problems thread?  Please devote a little time to it.

A random problem suggests something unstable with the machine.  I know you've said it happens on more than one, but a bad video driver could do that.  Overclocking could.  Conflict with the Ceton.  Etc.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 06:50:24 am »

Try Red October Standard.  Thanks for all the details.  It helps.

Theater View uses 3D drawing.

Is your video hardware all Nvidia?

The fact that MC is the only app that causes a crash does not mean that the machine is bullet proof.  It may only mean that the particular circumstances that cause a video driver to fail, for example, only occur in MC.  So please try to keep an open mind about the problem until we find the cause.

The switch to Red October Standard may tell us something.

Another useful test would be rebooting and running without having started WMP.  Pulling a Ceton would be even better.  I don't think that's the problem, but anything is possible.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 08:57:38 am »

To be sure I understand, are you saying you get a crash when you shutdown Windows (i.e. power off the computer) from within Theater View, using the Exit command with the remote?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up