INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 16.0.175 ASIO SUPPORT !  (Read 3349 times)

pierre_valois

Media Center 16.0.175 ASIO SUPPORT !
« on: September 08, 2011, 02:27:29 pm »

I would like to see in the new version a full ASIO support of Realtek ac'97 card meaning the development of a native ASIO driver packaged inside the installer(most  MBs use these chips).Now other people have tried it & here's a link http://members.home.nl/nahutec/AC97ASIO/ac97asio.htm but it supports mostly intel notebooks so that's a fail for me. I know about the   Kernel streaming & Asio4all  but these are  the same thing.
I am a proud costumer & I think that THIS FEATURE (witch is a marketing edge) WOULD BOOST SALES like nothing else.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center 16.0.175 ASIO SUPPORT !
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:47:17 pm »

It's up to the device manufacturer to provide an ASIO driver.

WASAPI is a good choice if you don't have ASIO.

pierre_valois

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 03:00:33 pm »

It's up to the device manufacturer to provide an ASIO driver.

WASAPI is a good choice if you don't have ASIO.
i HAVE xP & ...I like all that tweaking & such But how come these guys made the driver
http://members.home.nl/nahutec/AC97ASIO/ac97asio.htm
& wasapi is not direct to device audio
check diagram

pierre_valois

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 03:19:58 pm »

Something like the kernel stream driver inside the J River but like a native WDM driver whit lower latencys! ::) :P ;D

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 03:24:55 pm »

So if someone changes the diagram to have one big WASAPI label in the left box, instead of all sub-parts, you'll be happy?

WASAPI exclusive mode is a 100% bit-exact and pure interface to the hardware.
Just because someone decided to outline the processing chain in your graph doesn't make it any different.

ASIO also has alot of internal steps before it reaches the hardware, its just not shown in the graphic.

Anyway, like Jim said, your request doesn't make any sense.
The Hardware vendors have to supply drivers. Not the players.

Besides, Realtek AC97 isn't really worth getting all excited about, its a old and rather crappy chip. :)

PS:
ASIO4ALL should probably support the AC97 anyhow.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

pierre_valois

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 03:40:03 pm »

So if someone changes the diagram to have one big WASAPI label in the left box, instead of all sub-parts, you'll be happy?

WASAPI exclusive mode is a 100% bit-exact and pure interface to the hardware.
Just because someone decided to outline the processing chain in your graph doesn't make it any different.

ASIO also has alot of internal steps before it reaches the hardware, its just not shown in the graphic.

Anyway, like Jim said, your request doesn't make any sense.
The Hardware vendors have to supply drivers. Not the players.

Besides, Realtek AC97 isn't really worth getting all excited about, its a old and rather crappy chip. :)

PS:
ASIO4ALL should probably support the AC97 anyhow.
Got an answer from Realtek:

--------------
We don't support ASIO & GSIF directly in our driver.

For ASIO, there is an "universal ASIO driver for WDM audio" available on ASIO4ALL. Please refer to http://www.asio4all.com.
It is free for end-users.
(I don't want asio4all :( )

Wasapi,,, ok man you're the expert!What I was saing was that lets squeeze those latencys out of that "crappy chip" man!Again I have Xp & I'm happpy whit..I just saw the http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?92906-Realtek-ALC-882D-ASIO-2.0 site there & saw 0.73 ms & thougth OK thats a WINNER! :D I mean I know you guys could do it in like 2 min if you wanted so what's the big deal?!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 05:32:43 pm »

I would like to see in the new version a full ASIO support of Realtek ac'97 card meaning the development of a native ASIO driver packaged inside the installer(most  MBs use these chips).Now other people have tried it & here's a link http://members.home.nl/nahutec/AC97ASIO/ac97asio.htm but it supports mostly intel notebooks so that's a fail for me. I know about the   Kernel streaming & Asio4all  but these are  the same thing.
I am a proud costumer & I think that THIS FEATURE (witch is a marketing edge) WOULD BOOST SALES like nothing else.

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 06:21:26 pm »

It seems like you want something "Bit-Perfect".But Wasapi is not good enough for you. ?
But on the other Side,you want to do this with one of the cheapest soundchips out there. ?
This combination is very strange,or isn't it?

Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 06:41:22 pm »

Pierre,
Please don't quit.  We're only having a little fun.  I hope you'll keep on posting.

Jim

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 07:29:51 pm »

While I understand the desire to get the most out of any purchase, it does seem that you are asking to have a very high quality lipstick, instead of cheap lipstick, put on a pig. Either way, it is still a pig. You will get far more for your time and money to upgrade your sound card than to try to get a low latency, bit perfect digital signal sent to an older, low end onboard sound chip.

gtener

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 03:23:39 pm »

Hmmmm. You are sure a friendly sarcastic group.  I hope the responses on this thread are not indicative of those who have written such an excellent program.  I would like to think I could ask for help and not be ridiculed. Answer the question without the arrogant disdain and just possibly sell a few more of your product. ?
It's music to my ears.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 05:21:54 pm »

Hmmmm. You are sure a friendly sarcastic group.  I hope the responses on this thread are not indicative of those who have written such an excellent program.  I would like to think I could ask for help and not be ridiculed. Answer the question without the arrogant disdain and just possibly sell a few more of your product. ?

1. This thread would have received no response if the forums had been reversed (i.e. the OP were to go to his soundcard manufacturer's website and complain about a problem in JRiver)
2. Despite this dilemma, Jim politely replied with the right answer in post 2.
3. The OP continued to insist that this was a JRiver issue, despite the advice he had already received.
4. Nevcariel politely responds, further clarifying the issue and providing some alternative solutions.
5. The OP rejects the solution and continues to insist that it is possible to turn water into gold.
6. Picard can't handle it any longer.
7. Jim welcomes the OP to post any further questions, sanguinely unrelated to his current request.
8. Post (hopefully) retires into oblivion and beyond.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 05:54:17 pm »

It should be noted that the only person who has responded in this thread who maintains an employment relationship with J River is JimH. While Nevcariel is the developer of  great products/softwares/codecs (whatever the correct term may be) which work with MC16, to my knowledge he is not an employee. The rest of the posters are MC16 users, with different skill and experience levels (me probably being at the bottom).

This said, to clarify my earlier post, in my opinion the original poster would be better served to upgrade his sound card than to request a bit perfect ASIO driver for an older,  low end, onboard chipset. pierre_valois, I, and I suspect others, suggest that you consider a USB/firewire/newer sound card in order to improve the sound quality of your laptop/PC.

pierre_valois

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 06:39:56 am »

It should be noted that the only person who has responded in this thread who maintains an employment relationship with J River is JimH. While Nevcariel is the developer of  great products/softwares/codecs (whatever the correct term may be) which work with MC16, to my knowledge he is not an employee. The rest of the posters are MC16 users, with different skill and experience levels (me probably being at the bottom).

This said, to clarify my earlier post, in my opinion the original poster would be better served to upgrade his sound card than to request a bit perfect ASIO driver for an older,  low end, onboard chipset. pierre_valois, I, and I suspect others, suggest that you consider a USB/firewire/newer sound card in order to improve the sound quality of your laptop/PC.

Got the message guys.Just to let you guys know J river media center works great & this wasn't a compaint just a suggestion &  that was made cause a huge number of people have the chip.Now I'm planning to get myself a Xonar don't know how good is that...& also I'm no programer etc. :D

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 12:28:00 am »

The drivers for the Xonar cards do some known weird stuff.  For example this note from the Audio Output Modes section of the J River Wiki:

Notes

The only way to prevent a Creative Labs X-Fi based card or Asus Xonar card from resampling all incoming audio is to use ASIO and the driver that came with the card. With these cards, WASAPI exclusive will not change the master clock of the card.

Fortunately it comes with custom ASIO drivers.  Use the ASIO drivers rather than trying WASAPI exclusive mode.

The Xonar isn't the only card or device that does weird things like that.  I have a Creative E-MU 0204 USB that won't change sample rates nicely when doing WASAPI.  Fortunately it comes with custom ASIO drivers and ASIO mode works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up