INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image handling  (Read 3493 times)

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • MC Nerd
Image handling
« on: October 04, 2011, 04:55:20 pm »

I would agree. MC is not an audio or video editor, so it should not be an image editor either. However some basic editing could be useful such as rotation and crop, but that is as far as I would go (or use). If I want powerful editing, I will use another tool.

Tagging on the other hand could use much improvement. I've seen many requests for users asking for support of certain tags\features etc. Was geo tagging ever supported? If not that is going to be pretty big as many cameras have GPS built in (cell phones).

Just my 2c.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Image handling
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 05:00:42 pm »

Was geo tagging ever supported? If not that is going to be pretty big as many cameras have GPS built in (cell phones).

16.0.100 (5/31/2011)

8. NEW: EXIF GPS information for latitude and longitude is read more completely (right-click > Update Library from Tags to fill existing files).
9. NEW: Added right-click image option "Locate on Google Maps" (only appears for images that contain GPS information in the Latitude and Longitude fields).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
Image handling
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 05:29:56 pm »

I thought so which is why I asked. Maybe I'm out to lunch and many of those requests got implemented.

Now if only the industry would get together and create some standards for captions/face tagging etc.. then information would be portable...

In the mean time if there were an easier way to import that meta data from Picasa etc, that would be awsome.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Image handling
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 05:59:09 pm »

I would agree. MC is not an audio or video editor, so it should not be an image editor either. However some basic editing could be useful such as rotation and crop, but that is as far as I would go (or use).
You do know that rotation, crop, and many other editing functions are there, right?

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
Image handling
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 08:02:21 pm »

You do know that rotation, crop, and many other editing functions are there, right?

Nope. :) I do all that as part of my import process already with another tool. I do use them there so I see how it could be useful to someone. Now that you point that out, I may use MC as my "importer" and get rid of the other tool.

However I still feel that the effort needed to add more complex photo editing to MC would be better spent elsewhere. To even approach some of the cheaper tools (or free) would consume a lot of developer hours that could be better spent elsewhere. IMHO. I feel they fit in the nice to have category where there are many must haves in MC that are still missing.

EDIT:
I found something that might be nice for MC to have. That is unless it is already there and I have not noticed it... It would be nice if MC's import function could do a lot more automatically. Not just collect metadata, but possible move to approriate folders based on metadata collected. Doing so would combine what is now a many step process for many of us. It is also why I use another tool to import.

It would be great if you could import a folder and MC would apply certain things to the files based on what file type they are. For example IMDB for Movies, "TVDB" for television, Move them to predifined folder paths (like rename files function), etc then show them in a "recently imported" like window that allows accepting or modifying the chages. I believe others have pointed out something like this as well. I would make the final "recently imported" window optional as I'm sure many would not want to even check if changes were needed.

There seems to be many mentions of Meta Data in the requests. For MC to be the "ultimate tagger" in needs to have this functionality or I have to use other tools to have the information available. I hate to point it out, but when showing MC to others their complaint is the "X" does it automagically. It may not have all the features, but the workflow is easier for them...

Edit2:
Another thing that would be nice for meta data would be a "properties" pane. In a view it would be a seperate pane with details on the selcted file. It would have details like the Tag pane and be editable. I find the tag pane often too small for editing. Having it in the view area would greatly increase screen real estate. It would also leave more room to display big fields such as "movie description".

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Image handling
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:35:32 am »

Edit1
You can use Library Tools/Move, Copy, Rename to do this.  Recently, I care less and less about this since MC handles the access without being too picky about where the files are stored.

Edit2
You can maximize the Action Window.  Click on the little up arrow.

I don't mean to pour cold water on your ideas.  Keep them coming.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:35:21 am »

The one thing really missing is automatic resizing of images when uploading to a general ftp server. I do not need resized copies locally, so it would be nice to do it in one go: upload and resize. Surprisingly it is the one, single feature that is documented in the Wiki, but not implemented!!!

Upload files to Web or FTP Server

Select files.
Right-click and select Send To > Email/Web > Web or FTP Server.
The FTP File Upload dialog box opens. Insert the following information:
Remote Host: For an address in this format: ftp://mysite.com/pub/myname/music type in the following:
Address: Type in the following:
ftp.yourdomain.com/pub/
Note: the forward slash at the end is required
Path and Port: the path would be something like myname/music
Or you can type ftp.yourdomain.com/pub/myname/ in the address field, with just music in the path.
Select the Port, and Enter the Login and Password.
HTML Page. If "Generate HTML Index Document" is enabled, provide Title, subtitle and a name for the index file. Set the thumbnail size.
If you are uploading images, select the Image Option button to modify the size of your pictures. The original pictures will not be affected.

Select the Upload button.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Email_or_Upload_files_to_Web_or_FTP_Server

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 07:08:27 pm »

Jim, I realize you can move files. "Edit One" was more about Automatically tagging, moving, downloading album art, etc all during import. What is now a several step process could be automated for about 90% of my files and save me hours of work. I'm sure others feel the same.

As for not caring where the files are, many of us do. We access from other software/devices etc and need to have them in one place to make that easy. Backup software is one example. I would be much happier pointing MC to a folder full of files and have it process 90% of what I do automatically.

If you want to capture novice users, it has to be easy to use. I've been using MC for quite a few years and (as you've seen) there are features that I don't even know about. Lets face it, having those capabilites are nice, but only if you know they are there. Most users don't want to (or are not anal enough) to properly tag media due to all the steps involved. The only way to have awsome looking HTPC Themes is automatic tagging of meta data. That is how other software creates "stunning visuals" with Movies with covers and and all the data filled in. They do if for the user after setting it up once. Users don't pick XBMC because it is better than MC, they do it because it is easy for them to setup something impressive looking. It's sad because MC is a much better product. The one area it does lack, is ease of use, and not just because of the depth of the product. It's improving with Red October and the like, but more can be done.

Edit 2: you do have a point. That does make things easier, however I would thinking of a prettier view(s) sort of what is in Theater View.

raldo

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 03:19:21 pm »

Basic image operations are just fine and should be maintained (when they've been introduced in the first place).

I can't use MC's cropping, rotation, etc features since they don't update/handle the MS Photo 1.2 face tags. This is something I'd like to see (in addition to displaying these tags, of course)

Another feature which I'd think many users would like is simultaneous geo location (map) and image. Picasa does this. Picasa also geotags images but I don't think JRiver should implement functionality to geotag pictures.

So, a more focused support on image tagging would be appreciated.

And then there's the 1 to 1 mapping of city-state-country exif tags with MC tags, of course...

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 03:48:05 pm »

It would be really nice if MC handled the most common face tags. Picazza and MS Photo would be the majority I think. If it could hanlde for rotation, crop etc and also pull them names to a field that a veiw could then be created would be great. At this point I have to do some fancy footwork to make this happen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up