INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any way to remove the number prefaces to many of my songs  (Read 4546 times)

PenThis

• Recent member
Any way to remove the number prefaces to many of my songs
« on: October 11, 2011, 03:13:50 pm »

Many of the songs I have in my Library are prefaced with number such as:

G:\Music\Jesse Cook\Free Fall\[font=01 Switchback.wav
G:\Music\Jesse Cook\Free Fall\02 Air.wav
G:\Music\Jesse Cook\Free Fall\03 Virtue.wav

Is there a way possibly using the Library tools to remove all instances of the numeric prefaces and its accompanying space to all my songs?

Jim

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Any way to remove the number prefaces to many of my songs
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 03:55:24 pm »

There may be a simpler way to do this using expressions etc., but this is the best I can do personally:

In standard view, sort your files based on the Name field. All the tracks that start with numerical values will come before those that start with letters. Assuming that your track numbers are less than 100 and are all 2 digits i.e. 00-99, select these and then choose to rename from the right-click menu (or hit f2). The type:
=removeleft([name],3)
(See: this Wiki entry)

What this will do is remove the first three characters from the existing name field and put the resulting text in the same name field for every file you've selected.
Do the same using =removeleft([name],2) if the track number is just 1 digit.
Be warned that this si a generic way to remove characters from the left of a field value, and therefore it'll still do this if you choose tracks whose actual name starts with a number e.g. "99 Red Balloons" will become "Red Balloons". Also if you accidentally choose files that don't start with a number you'll lose the first three characters regardless.

PenThis

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 04:43:02 pm »

Thanks fitbrit - It looks like for most songs upon loading to disk preface the song name with an integer expressing the songs play position.  After posting the request, I reviewed all my songs and realized just what and why it was there.  I've decided not to move forward with changing the values.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Jim

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 04:48:18 pm »

Thanks fitbrit - It looks like for most songs upon loading to disk preface the song name with an integer expressing the songs play position.  After posting the request, I reviewed all my songs and realized just what and why it was there.  I've decided not to move forward with changing the values.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Jim

You should check in the track number field (right click a column heading and choose Track #). If the same integers are there, you can always sort your albums by this field and still remove the numbers from the track names.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 05:16:13 pm »

I've decided not to move forward with changing the values.

And clearly, you should not. The solution fitbrit suggested was just for fixing [Name]. If [Track #] is not recorded, you should fix that as well. That might be done by entering =Left([Name], 2] in [Track #] before fixing [Name]. But there might be a bigger issue here...

It seems to me the result you describe would not occur if the physical file tags already included the track # and name, or if they were specified when the tracks were ripped. If this is the case, then you might also be missing [Artist] and [Album] (unless you've since added them). If so, a more effective Library Tool would be Fill Properties from Filename. For the file pathname pattern you've mentioned, specify Directories: [Artist]\[Album] and Filename: [Track #] [Name]. It will set all those fields to the values found in the filename.

harrydr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 05:22:45 pm »

I do it a very simple way. Order by name and then find and replace (putting in find "0" or "1" and so on, letting replace empty) this will eliminate the given number. After this clean the empty spaces with the library tool clean file property.

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 05:37:50 pm »

I do it a very simple way. Order by name and then find and replace (putting in find "0" or "1" and so on, letting replace empty) this will eliminate the given number. After this clean the empty spaces with the library tool clean file property.

Simple, indeed. But certainly not easier. That's 11 or more steps (depending on how you count them) versus one. It's also going to make a mess of any names that happen to include a number. Or a space!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 08:59:49 pm »

And clearly, you should not. The solution fitbrit suggested was just for fixing [Name]. If [Track #] is not recorded, you should fix that as well. That might be done by entering =Left([Name], 2] in [Track #] before fixing [Name].

Thanks Rick - I couldn't remember the =left([],x) command, but some how remember the =removeleft([],x) !
Pages: [1]   Go Up