INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play/pause depending on muting of the volume via keyboard volume mute button  (Read 3535 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I have been using Spotify lately and one of its features that I have grown to like is: when one mutes the volume (typically via keyboard volume mute button), the playback pauses. When one unmutes the volume, the playback resumes.

Has anyone been able to configure MC to work in similar manner? I would imagine someone with knowledge of DOS scripts and/or some hidden MC feature may know how to do this.

Thanks,
Osho

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Why not pause instead of mute if you want playback paused?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Osho

• MC Beta Team

Why not pause instead of mute if you want playback paused?

Two reasons:

1. On my laptop keyboard, I have mute button but no dedicated play/pause button.
2. It would be consistent with how Spotify works. This way, either of my main 2 audio apps are playing, I can mute volume to play/pause

Thanks,
Osho

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

1. On my laptop keyboard, I have mute button but no dedicated play/pause button.
The space bar will pause MC.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

The space bar will pause MC.
In Standard View the space bar does nothing. In Theater View the space bar restarts playback from the beginning of the current item. In Display View the space bar pauses JRiver.

I wish the space bar paused playback in Theater View, too.

Osho

• MC Beta Team

In Standard View the space bar does nothing. In Theater View the space bar restarts playback from the beginning of the current item. In Display View the space bar pauses JRiver.

I wish the space bar paused playback in Theater View, too.

In addition, using space requires that MC16 window is in focus. I like the volume mute button playing/pausing for Spotify especially because it works whether Spotify window is in focus or not. That way, when I am in office, someone stops by to talk about something, I can hit mute and playback stops. When they are gone, I hit mute again and playback and sound both starts :). Beautiful!

Thanks,
Osho

rick.ca

Create a global keyboard shortcut for Play/Pause (MCC 10000). You might even be able to map it to your Mute button. ;)

Osho

• MC Beta Team

Create a global keyboard shortcut for Play/Pause (MCC 10000). You might even be able to map it to your Mute button. ;)

How exactly one does this?

Thanks,
Osho

rick.ca

See Custom Keyboard Shortcuts.

Mapping the command to your Mute button is a bit of a stretch. I suppose that would require a keyboard driver that allows such things. But you can create whatever keyboard shortcut that works for you. The main requirement is that it not conflict with a shortcut mapped by Windows or any other application you're likely to be using.
Pages: [1]   Go Up