INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exclusive Mode failed - Not issue. (Problem is poor Queuing in MadVR)  (Read 10328 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

When I start a BD movie/rip playback with RO+HQ, I am getting a message on the screen that says "Exclusive Mode Failed". The movie starts playing but stutters alot - basically unwatchable.

I have MadVR setup to start in exclusive mode. I also have an Nvidia video card and noticed that I am not seeing the Lav CUVID listed on the DirectShow Filters.
Maybe the two issues are related.

What should I check/do first?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Exclusive Mode failed
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 10:38:02 am »

If you're using MC's ROHQ, you shouldn't need to set MadVR at all.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 10:49:03 am »

I mean the built in MadVR. I'm not adding any external programs.

When the movie is running I right click the desktop and then look at the DirectShow filters to see what is being used.
MadVR and Lav Splitter (or LAV Filter, or whatever its called is shown). LAV CUVID is not listed as being used.
I have an nVidia GT440 on this system.

My other HTPC has an nVidia GTS450 and is running RO+HQ too.  It shows MadVR, LAV Filters, and Lav CUVID as running.

Thanks.  Maybe I'll try to reinstall program tonight - unless there is something else to look at first (I don't want to use up all my reinstalls).

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:54:32 am »

Did you check the FPS tag ? It should hold the same frame rate as the video stream itself.
It helps the advanced video setting to choose the correct video mode on your graphics card. Otherwise a conversion has to occur on the fly, ex. from 25 fps in the video stream to the 50Hz refresh rate of the graphics card setting. Not many cards do this with a BD stream without flicker.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:58:42 am »

I've been screwing around with the setting lately trying to figure out a hesitation/shuttering problem. I may have caused this problem - or maybe just noticed the real issue (either "Exclusive Mode Failed" or that LAV CUVID is not running).
I checked FPS and it is correct at 23.76. Video card is at default (1920x1080 60Hz on desktop - but does switch to 24fps when movie starts).

Anything else?

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 11:15:33 am »

Are your htpc directely connected to the TV ? Or via some kind of surround receiver. Did you configure MadVR settings other than 'start in exclusive mode' ?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 11:47:16 am »

This HTPC is connected directly to TV (no AVR). MadVR has some minor configuration (scalling is SoftCubic 50, etc.) - but is almost exactly the same settings as on my other HTPC (which is connected to AVR then to TV) and does not have this problem.
Everything used to work - (MadVR, Lav CUVID, etc.) then I started getting some stuttering on ripped BD material. Maybe that was the signal that some hardware was acting up. I tried changing a few settings related to Video in MC, and thought I had it working agin, then it started acting up again last weekend (I don't use the equipment everyday so it's hard for to remember exactly when the problem started). Last night is when I first noticed the "Exclusive Mode failed" message on the screen. It shows for a only a few seconds.
I'll try and get a log. This is a Win7 32bit machine.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 02:26:21 pm »

Do you have the hardware acceleration option checked? I believe you'll need it to activate Lav Cuvid. Also, Windowed mode apparently uses more resources than Exclusive, so if exclusive fails that might be the stuttering cause... too much CPU utilisation, especially if not using CUVID. Checklist:

1) Check hardware acceleration... does CUVID get used now?
2) Restart MC in order to clear the exclusive mode failed problem.
3) Try not to move the mouse much until Exclusive mode kicks in <- this may just be an old husbands' tale of my own making.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 03:06:46 pm »

Also check to see you have a Driver Version on that PC above 280 as LAV CUVID was updated to require at least that version.
JRiver CEO Elect

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 06:03:45 pm »

Check all of the above. Everything is as it should be. Rebooted. Installed lastest nVidia drivers. I am not seeing the "Exclusive Mode Failed" message now but I have big time hesitation/freezing.
Looking a MadVR statistics I see I have an issue with the queuing.
I have:
decoder queue at 1-2/8
upload queue at 1-1/8
renderer queue is 1-1/8
present queue is at 0-0/4

On my other MC system, these first ones are all 7-8/8, and the last queue is 3-4/4.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 06:07:11 pm »

Maybe I'll try to reinstall program tonight - unless there is something else to look at first (I don't want to use up all my reinstalls).
A reinstall doesn't use any restores.  Only a license restore does.  Even those, we can fix.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 04:24:18 am »

I posted this problem at AVS too since there are alot of MadVR users there as well.

This is what AVS (renethx) is saying regarding possible source/cause of the low queuing:

decoder queue: decoder issue (CPU/software decoder or hardware decoder/driver)
upload queue: system memory and video memory
renderer queue: weak GPU/video memory

I'm doing some more testing (may switch graphics cards to see if problem follows the card) - but I want to Post what I learn here in case someone else has a similar issue some day.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 04:32:38 pm »

Swaped video cards but it didn't help - so video card/hardware not the cause.

On another forum it was suggested I try a different Decoder since decoder queuing seems to be the root of the problem. How is the decoder selected - and what decoder is used now (in RO+HQ with Lav)? Perhaps I can setup ffdshow decoder in RO+HQ with Addtional Filters and see how that works. Or is the RO+HQ already using ffdshow decoder?  ?

Also I had Hardware Accelerate Video Decoding checked all along. I tried un-checking it and I had smooth playback for the first movie I palyed so I thought that was the problem, but next movie I tried did same stuttering/freezing.
I believe I read that I should not check/select "hardware accelerate video decodong when possible" if I'm using Lav CUVID. Can someone confirm this? I've tried both ways and it seemed to make no difference but now I don't remember how this setting should be used.

Installed latest nVidia drives (I'm running the beta drivers now). Did a reinstall of MC, then next movie I tried played smooth - thought it was fixed, but then I just had stuttering/freezing happen again. It is especially tough to troubleshoot this when it does not fail each time.

I would like to check settings in Lav Splitter but I can't get it to open to settings. Might be my mini-keyboard, but right-clicking on it just closes everything.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Exclusive Mode failed - Not issue. (Problem is poor Queuing in MadVR)
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 05:29:38 pm »

RO = FFDSHOW Video Decoder + EVR Video Renderer
ROHQ = FFDSHOW Video Decoder with YADIF deinterlacing + madVR

Checking HW Accelerate will use the following for compatibile video formats (eg VC1, AVC/264, MPEG2)
 = LAVCUVID on nvidia systems with 280+ Drivers
 = FFDSHOW DXVA on other GPU's
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 05:48:55 pm »

Without reading the entire thread, did you consider the virus checker? 

Did you take a look through the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature?  You might find some ideas.

Is some other process sometimes stealing resources?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 07:55:27 am »

Jim,
I don't have any virus software installed. I did a clean Win7 install last weekend and have not installed anything. However, I did allow Windows to install "all" the updates (100s of GBs of file changes) - and it wouldn't be the first time a Windows update broke something. Now that i think about it, I might just start over with a another new Win install but not allow any updates (other than absolutely required). Usually I turn off "Windows Updates" on my HTPCs since i don't use them for anything but HTPC duty (most of Windows updates seem to be fixing a security or compatiblity issue anyway). So if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Regarding resources, I would expect CPU/GPU or memory use to be high if it were a resource issue. My CPU, GPU, and Memory loads are all below 5% (if the Windows Resource Manager is reporting correctly).

The problem is not occuing on every BD movie I play - so finding what fixes it and what does not, it difficult.  I make a change, start a movie it looks good - I think the problem is fixed - then later I try watching something else and it freezes - so problem not fixed.

Seeing that I have flawless MadVR playback on my other HTPC (and it is weaker CPU and video card), I know the problem is not with MC16. I am only posting here to ask for ideas.

I will look through your Weird Problems listing too. Possibly the solution to my problem will make your list too.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 09:00:06 am »

I've also seen strange problems when Adobe wanted to install something.  On a reboot after a problem like yours, the Adobe Installer was opened.  

Are the files local?  If not, test local files.  Sorry if you said above.

Make sure there aren't any network drives that are unavailable.  Detach any devices that you can.  

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 02:41:28 pm »

I was having weird issues like this on my new HTPC and it turned out an update with the latest LAN, Chipset, and BIOS fixed the issue from the MFR site (not windows update) fixed the issue.
JRiver CEO Elect

CountryBumkin

Problem discovered - fix is on the way!

I should have done this sooner - I ran "memtest" and it reported several hundred memory errors.

One clue was when I reinstalled Win7 this weekend and it locked up doing Updates. Then I reinstalled again (clean install), and it Blue Screened on the updates. Then I ran the Windows Memory test program, which creates a log file (that I could not find anywhere), so I downloaded and ran the "memtest86". I also ran it on my other computers which came back with no faults.

I have new memory ordered and on the way.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Problem discovered - fix is on the way!

I should have done this sooner - I ran "memtest" and it reported several hundred memory errors.

One clue was when I reinstalled Win7 this weekend and it locked up doing Updates. Then I reinstalled again (clean install), and it Blue Screened on the updates. Then I ran the Windows Memory test program, which creates a log file (that I could not find anywhere), so I downloaded and ran the "memtest86". I also ran it on my other computers which came back with no faults.

I have new memory ordered and on the way.

Good job discovering the problem. I HOPE that fixes your issues when you get new RAM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up