INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot get Access Key for Gizmo [Solved]  (Read 4596 times)

Al ex

• Citizen of the Universe
Cannot get Access Key for Gizmo [Solved]
« on: October 16, 2011, 03:39:11 pm »

MC 16.0.179
Eset Smart Security 5 Firewall
Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA - YES

When I am trying to get an access key to use Gizmo, it says "Library Server Could not be registered with JRiver"

I deactivated the Eset Firewall temporarily.
I connected through mobile Internet (another ISP) and deactivated Eset.
I added port 52199 to open for MC16 in Eset Firewall.

It still doesnt work, I dont understand.
Any idea?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cannot get Access Key for Gizmo
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 05:20:51 pm »

That error is what you would expect if the firewall was blocking access.  Do you have another PC you could try?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 12:03:30 am »

... and, if you're behind a router, have you set up port forwarding correctly on that router?

Al ex

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 02:16:45 am »

Jim, yes, I have tried it with another laptop, same result.

Marko, I set the ESET firewall, but nothing on the router.
Also - I set up a NAS (WD MY BOOK LIVE) in my network last Friday - maybe this is the reason for blocking something? Maybe the NAS is sitting now on port 52199, which was formerly used by MC? But I am a total amateur in regard to networks so this is a pure guess...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:03:26 am »

... and, if you're behind a router, have you set up port forwarding correctly on that router?
I think he's having trouble getting an access key in setup.  He's not having trouble (yet) getting media from outside his LAN.  Correct?

Al ex

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 08:18:32 am »

Yes right, I canīt get the access key.

Regarding media from outside - if you mean for example streaming a radio station from the Internet within MC: no problem. Just tried Soma.FM, works without a problem.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 08:35:25 am »

Regarding media from outside - if you mean for example streaming a radio station from the Internet within MC: no problem. Just tried Soma.FM, works without a problem.

Nope. That is not it. He's talking about accessing you're media with Gizmo or MC from outside the house. You need port forwarding for that. If you have access to the router, it should mainly be a matter of googling that type of router and port forwarding to get some help.

This is not the biggest though, as it's the adding of key that is the problem. The best you can do is to deactivate the Firewalls. Both Eset and MS firewall. Be sure that MS firewall is not left on after you disable Eset. If you use mobile Internet to connect to the server you HAVE to enable port forwarding on the router. So, try to stick with the local network till you get it working. Are there any network items between the Server and Gizmo? Wireless router I guess. Make sure nothing fancy filtering or firewall is enabled there. It should however only be affecting things from Internet and in.

After this is done, try to make another Access key after you have checked that you have all correct settings under Options and Media Network. If that does not work, then I think I'm out of ideas.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Al ex

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:08:32 am »

There is obviously a problem with the network.
Windows Firewall was activated - switched it off. Also switched off ESET temporarily. But still not working - no access key.

I installed a port checker to see, if 52199 is open. The checker tells me it cant check because "another application has blocked that Port".

I made a check with Windows Diagnostics - its telling me that more than one device is doing Network Access Translation (NAT).

Lets see, how I can solve that...  :-\

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:46:19 am »

Do you have an older Media Server running?  From a previous version?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 09:48:58 am »

Any chance you run Avast?  I've seen it break regular HTTP traffic.

You could try Fiddler to see what's happening to our call to the JRiver server.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 09:52:30 am »

The Access Key registration is on port 80, just like any ordinary web browser access.

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 10:14:20 am »

Make SURE you're on the same network. If you're not, then it's not strange you're having problems.

Also run telnet commands from a Wireless device to to the server. Example from a Laptop on the same wireless network:

Start menu and write "run", hit enter.
write "telnet ServerIP 80"
and then "telnet ServerIP 52199"

If you get a black screen with nothing else, it's connected. Otherwise, it is blocked my NAT or a firewall. To get the IP adress on the "Server", get the Command prompt with Run again, and write "ipconfig". Get the IP adress xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. It's called IP version 4.

It sounds like you have a strange network setup, and/or a component between your phone/pad and the server/htpc.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 10:26:23 am »

Start menu and write "run", hit enter.
write "telnet ServerIP 80"
and then "telnet ServerIP 52199"
That's testing inbound access to the server, but generating a Media Access key requires outbound access, just like a web browser does.

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 10:32:06 am »

Oh. I thought the problem was to make the key work on Gizmo, and not the actual creation :o
What is outbound access needed for when creating a key? It's used to pick up the public IP? What about those that only have a local network? you can't get it to work there?

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 03:12:45 pm »

It needs to talk to our server which issues the keys on port 80.  Our server attempts a ping back to the Media Center computer but if it fails, it just shows a message and the user is still free to use the key within the local network.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Al ex

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 02:57:03 am »

Finally I found the solution:

the problem was that I am using
the router from my ISP (Pirelli PRGAV4202N)
my own router (Asus RT-N56U), with which I built my wireless network, and which is now set as Access Point, because there was also an issue with Double NAT.

Windows Firewall was switched off, also my ESET was not the problem, as I set up a rule for port 52199.

I now set another rule on the Pirelli router for opening the port 52199 on the Pirelli - and Voila! Here it goes, my new remote control, aka Samsung SGS2 Android mobile phone! :)

The only issue what I didnt understand yet so far is, if I am opening ports on a router - isnt there a security issue with that? Also, I would prefer the router functionality of my Asus instead the Pirelli, but with avoiding having double NAT.

But thats something I dont want to bother you with - maybe I should check other forums for that...

Thanks for your great help :)

MrHaugen

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 03:05:27 am »

Bingo! Double NAT is the devils work. Never ever set up routers with default settings on internal networks :) Access point is another matter. It does little damage.

Opening up ports might be a security risk, but as this is ONE single port to one dedicated machine who runs nothing else on that port, I would say it's pretty safe. The problem you hear about firewalls and open ports is that this might include ports that there is actually dormant services that listens to. Things you don't know about. And this can sometimes be exploited. Like web service, FTP server, some not-patched-for-2-years windows service with security holes etc. etc.

Check out some guides for port forwarding for that Pirelli router. You should find one with oh mighty google. The router connected directly to the Internet cable, is the one who needs to forward.

Daydream

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 03:24:13 am »

From my own experience: all this new and fancy modems (cable, ADSL, VDSL, whatever) double up as a router, instead of a dumb gateway to wherever.
In my case I told the technician when it installed my wideband modem to disable all these features since I had my own equipment/setup my side of the modem and I didn't wanna bother with troubleshooting a piece of hardware that I didn't own and might've got in between causing conflicts.

MrHaugen

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 05:46:08 am »

Yes. Bridging the crap routers you get from your ISP and purchasing your own good router is often the best thing you can invest in. At least if you require something more than normal web browsing access. If you only want a extra Wifi spot, then you should purchase a an Access Point. Not a router :) Most routers can be set as Wifi access points, pure switches and so on though. But it needs a bit knowledge or time to configure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up