INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade to MC17 -- Questions and Answers  (Read 46205 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Upgrade to MC17 -- Questions and Answers
« on: October 20, 2011, 05:37:57 pm »

Please download and install MC17.0.  The Download page (link above) has the "stable" build.  A newer, but possibly less stable build will be found in a thread near the top of this board.

Purchase through the Help menu in MC17.  Upgrades are $26.98.

Complete Upgrade Instructions are on our Wiki

Please post any questions in this thread.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: Upgrade to MC17 -- Questions and Answers
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 06:05:28 pm »

Alex B's advice from another thread:

Just install MC17. You don't need to uninstall MC16. In any case do not specify the MC16 install location if you want to install MC17 to a custom location.

MC17 will copy the currently active MC16 library and most of the configured MC16 options. Some features may have changed fundamentally and thus have different or incompatible settings in MC17 (as jmone said, Theater View is one of those).

You can uninstall MC16 anytime, but I would recommend keeping it for a while.

Before uninstalling MC16 you should back up anything you want to preserve from C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 16\ (XP) or C:\Users\[user]\Appdata\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\ (Vista or newer), e.g. cover art or library backup files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 08:52:13 am »

KoolADE

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 09:04:56 am »

Will you have the Update Manager in MC16 notify us of an upgrade to MC17 at some point? Or is it required to download the new version manually?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:53:38 am »

Will you have the Update Manager in MC16 notify us of an upgrade to MC17 at some point? Or is it required to download the new version manually?
Download manually now.  The MC16 update won't show MC17 for at least a couple of months.

bpchia

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 02:51:29 am »

I can't purchase MC17, I get the error: "there was a problem connecting the command to the program."  Then "Failed to initiate Media Center purchase."

trentino

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 11:27:47 pm »

Hello,

I installed MC 17 beta tonight -- currently running a somewhat recent version of 15.  Installing 17 did not restore my library or settings from 15.  There is nothing in the library and it says that it will automatically search my computer for media files after XX seconds - which I cancel.

Any idea why it is not automatically installing my library and settings from MC 15?  What is the best way to port over my library and settings if it can't be done automatically?

gattus35

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 03:01:25 am »

I am currently looking to purchase MC.  I have a demo version of MC16.  Should I just download and buy a license for MC 17 or can I buy MC 16 and apply that license to MC 17 when the official version comes out.  I do not want to have to purchase MC 16 and then 17 withing a couple weeks of each other.  Thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 03:42:08 am »

From: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67239 (by JimH)
Anyone who purchased a license for MC16 since October 1 has received an MC17 license. You will only need to download and install MC17.

This means that if you purchase now you will receive an MC17 license that will work with the recent MC16 builds. This license will continue to work when you install MC17.

Probably it would be good to have the latest MC16 build installed before purchasing the license (I think 16.0.179 was the most recent build at the time when licensing changed). The current build is 16.0.181. It is available here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67084
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 07:42:27 am »

In the upgrade instructions on the wiki, there is also a new way to purchase without installing.  You just copy and paste an old Registration Code (MC10 to MC16, or MJ8) and you receive a new one (MC17).

See Alternate Purchase Method.

trentino

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 01:16:09 pm »

I posted the other day about installing MC 17 and it not picking up my libraries and settings.  How do I do this manually?  Is it as simple as importing the last MC 15 backup?  I'm concerned there is something wrong with the installation given that it did not pick up the library and setting automatically.  Or maybe I I should have installed 16 first and then 17?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 02:20:04 pm »

I posted the other day about installing MC 17 and it not picking up my libraries and settings.  How do I do this manually?  Is it as simple as importing the last MC 15 backup? 
Restoring an MC15 backup should work.

Sauzee

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 06:22:19 am »

Is it possible to use move MC16 thumbnails folder to MC17 to avoid having to rebuild all thumbnails?

Rebuiling thumbnails a very time consuming process with a big library. I seem to remember it was possible to do this in the upgrade from MC 15 to 16.

Sauzee

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 05:10:24 am »

Is it possible to use move MC16 thumbnails folder to MC17 to avoid having to rebuild all thumbnails?

Rebuiling thumbnails a very time consuming process with a big library. I seem to remember it was possible to do this in the upgrade from MC 15 to 16.

I tried it and it works. Another benefit of doing this is that all the auto generated thumbnails from video files on data CD's /DVD etc are retained. You lose these by rebuilding thumbnails.

Ram1

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 12:47:23 pm »

What about if MC16 was purchase before Oct. 1, like in July?  An upgrade cost is required in that instance to go to MC17?  Upgrade costs within 6 months of a software purchase are hard to swallow in our current economic climate.

steviewonders

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 12:52:56 pm »

What about if MC16 was purchase before Oct. 1, like in July?  An upgrade cost is required in that instance to go to MC17?  Upgrade costs within 6 months of a software purchase are hard to swallow in our current economic climate.

I couldn't agree more. I think it's a brilliant piece of software which i get plenty of use out. Unfortunately i bought it less than 3 months ago.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 12:59:07 pm »

We have to cut it off on some date and October 1 is it. 

We begin to offer an upgrade license at a reduced price long before the next version is at a stable release status. 

If you buy each year when the new version goes into beta, MC will cost you about 37 cents a week.  Or around a cup of Starbuck's coffee every other month.

So you can buy it now for $18.98, or wait until later when it will be $26.98, or just stay with MC16.

I'm sorry if you don't feel that it's fair.

alicenir

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 01:43:26 pm »

hi,

i have purchased the MC16 on 21 of Sep, so i must pay again now?

thank you

nir

mrboonmee

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 02:00:17 pm »

will there be a way to do a custom install and install *only* the audio section? I don't use MC for Video, only Audio.

I bought MC16 a couple months ago, I guess i need to find the date on that.

Pretty happy with it other than the "get album art from internet" that does not work well.

Raysy

• Recent member
  • Enjoy yourself!
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 05:47:55 pm »

MC17 Upgrade: Codec pack still necessary?

I'm planning to upgrade from MC13 to MC17. In the past MC13 sometimes asked me to install Quicktime for playing some movies. I did not want that, installed CCCP and watched that files with Media Player Classic HC. Do I still need CCCP or can I uninstall that?

Best regards,

Michael

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 05:52:18 pm »

I'm planning to upgrade from MC13 to MC17. In the past MC13 sometimes asked me to install Quicktime for playing some movies. I did not want that, installed CCCP and watched that files with Media Player Classic HC. Do I still need CCCP or can I uninstall that?

Best regards,

Michael
Red October takes care of codecs so you don't need CCCP.  There is more on our Wiki.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 05:54:21 pm »

Almost certainly not for most users.

MC17 (and MC16, actually) now has a great feature built-in called Red October where the system automatically obtains and configures a pre-tested set of high-quality decoding filters that handle pretty much any media type you are likely to throw at it.  Even better, it uses these filters without registering them on the system, so they don't mess anything else up that might be more touchy.

If you are using more esoteric files, then you could end up still needing some auxiliary software, but probably not.  The only exception to that might be MOV files.  If you have these, you might need to install "real QuickTime" or "QTLite" to get decoding for that file format to work.

I have a lot of them, but they are encoded with Apple's ProRes codec anyway, so I have to have "real" QuickTime installed on those systems (and the ProRes codec for Windows).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Raysy

• Recent member
  • Enjoy yourself!
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 06:00:30 pm »

First of all: Thanks for your quick replies!!  :)

No, that files were not "real" Quicktime-MOV or QT-files, probably MPEG4 or something...

BTW: There ist the topic "Upgrade licenses are $18.98 ($8 off) through November 4"

but the first line says "We're selling upgrade licenses at a reduced price -- $18.98 -- until November 15."

Maybe a remain of the MC16 beta offer?

dkusumoto

• Recent member
Error Message during MC17 install - Failure to Load JRTools.dll - Help!
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 06:29:14 pm »

I have MC 15.0.174 and I can't complete the installation of MC 17 because I keep getting an error message that says it can't load a file called JRTools.dll  I wanted to take advantage of the $18.98 upgrade price.

I'm also very afraid of upgrading because of other users noting the difficulty of preserving playlists and other custom data from older versions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 06:30:40 pm »

Did you try a reboot?

There is an alternate purchase method on this page:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Upgrade_to_MC17

dkusumoto

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 06:32:08 pm »

Thanks, Jim, I'll try both methods and report back on the results.

dkusumoto

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 06:51:02 pm »

I downloaded the executable file, re-booted my computer, ran the MC 17 upgrade file - and it still comes back before finishing with a "Critical Error" pop-up that says, "Failed to load JRTools.dll" with the additional words, "Reinstall the original program."  I have my registration code from MC 15 handy, but I'm WAY too afraid to purchase via the "Alternate Method" when there's a conflict with the same executable upgrade file being offered in both download methods.  Best, David.

corusha

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 07:33:47 pm »

Please download and install MC17.0 from a build you will find at or near the top of this board.

Purchase through the Help menu in MC17.  Upgrades are $18.98 for a week or so.

More Complete Upgrade Instructions on our Wiki

I do not get the $ 18.98 upgrade, but I get the full price of 44.98. I am trying to upgrade from MC14 to MC17. Tried this upgrade from my MC14 and also from the just downloaded and installed MC17 beta. Can anyone help me as to why I am not getting the special upgrade offer?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 07:42:26 pm »

Just jumped from MC 12 to 17. For a while now my audio does NOT play when I open the program. Have to close it and reopen every time. Figured MC17 would fix this but no dice. Any idea how to solve that? Library points to Z:, a networked "virtual" drive which redirects in case that matters. Worked fine that way a long time and then this bug turned up.

Could you use Help > Logging, and send a log to matt at jriver dot com showing the issue?

Thanks for the upgrade.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 07:43:04 pm »

I downloaded the executable file, re-booted my computer, ran the MC 17 upgrade file - and it still comes back before finishing with a "Critical Error" pop-up that says, "Failed to load JRTools.dll" with the additional words, "Reinstall the original program."  I have my registration code from MC 15 handy, but I'm WAY too afraid to purchase via the "Alternate Method" when there's a conflict with the same executable upgrade file being offered in both download methods.  Best, David.

This isn't a common report.

Perhaps an over-ambitious security program (virus checker, etc.) is causing trouble?

dkusumoto

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 08:03:23 pm »

I turned off my anti-virus program - and here's what I got during my third (3rd) failed attempt to install MC 17.  Before finishing, a pop-up appears that says, "Critical Error"

The text says:
"The following module has failed to load:
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 17\PackageInstaller.exe

It has reported the following error:

Failed to load JRTools.dll

Please re-install the latest version of the program."

I'm resigned at this point that there is something wrong with my computer that prevents installation of the upgrade from Media Center 15.0.174  I like what I have now but was eager to get the $18.98 upgrade because MC 15 has been awesome.  I wonder if a "clean install" would have made a difference - but I would then lose all of my Playlists if I removed MC 15.  I'm happy w/MC 15 as is.  Thanks anyway.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 08:09:12 pm »

Please try a reboot.

dkusumoto

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 08:19:12 pm »

I've re-booted twice, turned off my anti-virus software; there's just something wrong on my end, I know it.  I'm happy with MC 15.0.174  Too nervous that continued attempts and interaction between MC 17 installation with my older 15.0.174 program will mess up my playlists.  Thanks anyway.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 08:42:45 pm »

You could export your playlists to m3u files if you're concerned.

dkusumoto

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 08:59:03 pm »

That's true.  I've exported all of my Playlists and put them into a separate file folder away from my program file folders.  I'll probably try a complete un-install of MC 15 and install MC 17 and use my registration code (if the installation program will let me) to get the upgrade price.  I'll be so mad if this things blows up on me....

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 09:00:02 pm »

That's true.  I've exported all of my Playlists and put them into a separate file folder away from my program file folders.  I'll probably try a complete un-install of MC 15 and install MC 17 and use my registration code (if the installation program will let me) to get the upgrade price.  I'll be so mad if this things blows up on me....

Make a library backup with MC 15.  Then you can restore it with MC 15 or MC 17 and not lose anything.

dkusumoto

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 10:11:26 pm »

Matt and Jim - you guys are GREAT!  MC 17 is up and running, I got the $18.98 upgrade price - and all is working super!  Because I kept having installation problems -- I went ahead and did as you recommended, e.g., I BACKED UP ALL OF MY PLAYLISTS FROM MC 15 INTO A SEPARATE FOLDER -- and then I did a COMPLETE UNINSTALL of MC 15. 

I then did a CLEAN INSTALL of MC 17 - so it wouldn't have to LOOK at other, old/previous versions of Media Center on my computer - and the MC 17 installation sailed through beautifully with no error messages at all.  I'm listing to one of my 50 Playlists now and it's running great.  Thanks!

I'm running an old computer and whatever it was that's on it, was conflicting with the installation.  Is it possible to move the entire program to a new computer when I get it - without paying for the program again?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 10:25:37 pm »

Is it possible to move the entire program to a new computer when I get it - without paying for the program again?

Absolutely.

Just download and install the latest version of the program (which you can always get from this forum, "stickied" to the top of the board).  Then, to install the license, simply walk through the "restore from Internet" process the system offers you.  No problem at all.  You'll just need the email address and password you registered with when you bought the upgrade.

Also, this is very unlikely, but... If it happens to be within 2 weeks, you can save the MJR file (which they emailed you when you made the purchase) to a floppy or other media (wink wink), then copy it over to the new computer, and double click on it.  That will automatically install your license on the new computer.  The MJR files expire after two weeks, but they'll generate a new one for you up to ten times per rolling 12 month period using that "restore from Internet" method.

To move your Library files, the easiest way is to use the built-in Backup and Restore system, which works very well.  This is also easy.  Simply load up MC on the old computer.  Select your library under Playing Now and choose Backup.  Save the backup somewhere easy to get to, like on your desktop.  The backup will be a ZIP file.  Then, copy that backup zip file over to the new computer (good luck getting that onto a floppy) and open MC on the new computer and use the Restore process to "restore the backup".

It will restore your entire Library (the database of the files, and setup, not the media files themselves, you need to move them yourself) and all of MC17's settings onto the new computer.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dkusumoto

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 10:50:33 pm »

Glynor - that's super to know.  Media Center is indeed the best - which is why it's my preferred application for media files.  Thanks again!

bag

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 03:23:58 pm »

Thank you very much for understanding my disappointment and quick fixing of my issue!!!  :D

Bye !

Emanuele

haylo75

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 11:03:59 pm »

Thanks to the development team for continuing in the great tradition of providing a top shelf product for a bargain price.  I just purchased my MC17 upgrade, and am excited to try out the new features.

Kerr

LaserPope

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2011, 05:19:26 am »

Just to clairify. I got MC16 after oct 1. Can I wait until the stable release of MC17 is out and upgrade then without further cost or do I need to upgrade before the november 15 deadline?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2011, 07:15:25 am »

Just to clairify. I got MC16 after oct 1. Can I wait until the stable release of MC17 is out and upgrade then without further cost or do I need to upgrade before the november 15 deadline?
Yes.  You have an MC17 license.  Just install MC17.

lancair

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2011, 07:26:52 am »

email you sent says a new license for MC17 is 44.98 but the price quoted when I go to buy it is 49.98. How do I get the 44.98 price which the email says is good until November 15?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2011, 07:29:43 am »

You should see a $44.98 price when you try to purchase.  Where do you see $49.98?

It will work.

lancair

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2011, 07:33:28 am »

ooops.....sorry......right after I posted the question I tried the link from the help menu in the trial version and that link took me to the 44.98 price. Buying it right after I post this!

Awesome product by the way. Looking forward to learning all it can do.

audio2addict

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2011, 12:07:56 pm »

Thanks.  Just did the download and install and seems to have gone well.  It launched and is playing fine right now.  Thanks.

drummer1818

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2011, 02:38:10 pm »

Hi
Every Year when I want to purchase the upgrade, I have the same problem in completing your upgrade form.
When I give You all the informations wanted and  hit the button "continue", I'm always led back to the beginning of the form, saying I should put in a valid email address, though it's the same address you informed me that the update is avaible.
So I can't complete and don't get the key. Can You help me please.

Frank

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2011, 05:13:23 pm »

If it's the same as your forum address, I can't see a problem with it.  I'm sorry.

buddiehollie

• Recent member
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 07:44:54 pm »

I downloaded the newest version of MC and it said trial period expired so how can I upgrade if I cant get into the program in the first place? I need to get into the program to go to help to upgrade if I do decide to upgrade. Please advice.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up