INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16 convert FLAC to AIFF???  (Read 7726 times)

mantis07

• Junior Woodchuck
MC16 convert FLAC to AIFF???
« on: October 23, 2011, 09:52:43 am »

I'm trying to convert some 24/192 FLAC files to AIFF within MC 16 but see no AIFF option in convert file-->convert-->encoder.  Any ideas?
thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC16 convert FLAC to AIFF???
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 10:44:33 am »

I'm trying to convert some 24/192 FLAC files to AIFF within MC 16 but see no AIFF option in convert file-->convert-->encoder.  Any ideas?
thanks
MC can decode AIFF, but not encode.  But why would you do that?  WAV might work.

mantis07

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 10:48:19 am »

no wonder I haven't been able to find it ;)  I have the PS Audio PWD/bridge and until they get some issues resolved 24/176+ FLAC will not play without skipping etc.. AIFF works perfectly - WAV skips too.  I have other ways to convert but it would be more convenient in MC.

thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:02:11 pm »

You can use SoX as an external encoder for creating AIFF files. I just tested it with a few 24-bit 176.4 and 192 kHz FLAC files.

See the attached screenshot.

You can also check the two other options. "Use source file as-is" will feed the source file directly to Sox without creating a temporary wave file and "Hide command window" will prevent the black SoX cmd window from popping up.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mantis07

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 12:57:22 pm »

thanks Alex - works GREAT!

mantis07

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 09:11:22 am »

I'm now trying to combine several FLAC files into 1 file(gapless).  I'm using %IN% %OUT% --combine sequence   but I'm not getting 1 large file, only the same # of tracks/files.  Is it possible with the external encoder options?  It works fine when I use SOX from the command line: sox --combine sequence *.flac CD.flac

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 09:19:16 am »

Try quoting part of the command.  Probably from the -- on.  I'm only guessing.

mantis07

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 09:22:18 am »

that gives a Failed Conversion error.

thanks though ;)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 10:12:39 am »

I'm now trying to combine several FLAC files into 1 file(gapless).  I'm using %IN% %OUT% --combine sequence   but I'm not getting 1 large file, only the same # of tracks/files.  Is it possible with the external encoder options?  It works fine when I use SOX from the command line: sox --combine sequence *.flac CD.flac

Thanks!
Another guess, if it's not a typo, you shouldn't have trailing %'s after the IN and OUT.

mantis07

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 10:43:21 am »

typo  :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 10:47:33 am »

Thanks!
I'm thinking that the IN and OUT args are going to feed you files one at a time so I don't think you can use that to combine files that way you are doing with sox.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 10:48:05 am »

What worked?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 04:11:59 pm »

You can use SoX as an external encoder for creating AIFF files. I just tested it with a few 24-bit 176.4 and 192 kHz FLAC files.

See the attached screenshot.

You can also check the two other options. "Use source file as-is" will feed the source file directly to Sox without creating a temporary wave file and "Hide command window" will prevent the black SoX cmd window from popping up.

Does using this encoder change the sound quality at all?

It converts it so fast im quite confident it doesn't alter it much, if at all, almost just a rename file it's so quick, but before i delete all my flacs i have to be sure im not losing any magic ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up