INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sage Refugee Looking for Shelter  (Read 3749 times)

loomdog32

• Recent member
Sage Refugee Looking for Shelter
« on: October 24, 2011, 05:02:36 pm »

While admittedly I haven't installed MC, I am curious if it could possible be the replacement for Sage in my household...

We are very TV based. Ability to watch live TV from multiple client locations with tuners on a server is a must! #2 would be music.

My current setup is Server running Windows XP using HDHomeRun for Clear QAM and HDPVR capturing HD from STB using FireWire for channel changing. With Sage HD200 Extenders for clients.

I was looking to upgrade my hardware when the Google buyout happened. I have not yet purchased any hardware, but am looking to basically replace everything with new hardware (well, Ill keep the HDHR and HDPVR. Was looking to go to 2 HDHR and 2 HDPVR)... I was looking at using 35w i3 mini-itx computers as clients running win7 and i7 server running whs 2011.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sage Refugee Looking for Shelter
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 05:05:59 pm »

Welcome.

MC supports the HD HomeRun.

loomdog32

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 05:13:09 pm »

What about the HD PVR?

By some miracle, what about CableCard tuners, ie: HDHomeRun Prime? I mean, these have to be useful to someone other than WMC users???

Ill download and check MC17 out...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 05:18:57 pm »

I'm not sure on the Hauppauge ? HD PVR.  MC supports most Hauppauge devices.

Cablecard, not yet.  Hopefully in this version.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 05:37:20 pm »

I'm not sure on the Hauppauge ? HD PVR.  MC supports most Hauppauge devices.

Yes.  The HD-PVR is supported, though it takes a bit more setup than it does via Sage.  You have to have installed the WinTV software that came with the HD-PVR, not just the drivers, for it to work.  It uses a filter or splitter or something included as part of the WinTV install.  Sage includes its own version of this filter, so I'd never even installed WinTV, much less actually tried using that POS.

The Collosus not yet, but it'll be coming along before too long I suspect.

Jim... Very interesting to hear that you're hopeful about CableCard.  I'd buy one of those fancy 4-"tuner" CableCard devices immediately if MC supported it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 05:48:14 pm »

We've got several SageTV users trying to make the switch now.  Here's another thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67189.msg450790#msg450790

So make your list and we'll see what we can do.  We're just now beginning work on MC17 and there are several improvements for TV so far.

Our developer, Yaobing, reads and posts mainly on the TV board here, but either board will work for now.

Thanks for taking a look.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 05:53:31 pm »

We've got several SageTV users trying to make the switch now.  Here's another thread:

I'm one.

I haven't completed the switch yet, because I had a baby instead, but it is still planned.  I'm now totally on-board and planning to use MC to replace Sage as soon as I get the time to get it all done.

The problem is that "what works" (even if it is kinda bad and aging quickly) is the enemy of what's ideal.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

loomdog32

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 07:58:07 pm »

Cablecard, not yet.  Hopefully in this version.

That gave me goosebumps!!! Hopefully my current Sage setup will not break before that is reality.

Yes.  The HD-PVR is supported, though it takes a bit more setup than it does via Sage.  You have to have installed the WinTV software that came with the HD-PVR, not just the drivers, for it to work.  It uses a filter or splitter or something included as part of the WinTV install.  Sage includes its own version of this filter, so I'd never even installed WinTV, much less actually tried using that POS.

When I first got it, I had constant issues with it in Sage. Now, it has been solid stable for 2 years (havent had to reboot my Sage Server except for Software or Hardware updates).

dbalkunjr

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 08:25:27 pm »

Cable card compatibility is something I only dreamed about ;D I hope that this dream becomes reality real soon.  I second Glynor's comment that I will be snatching up a Ceton Card as soon as this is offered up for MC.

Gustovier

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 11:26:31 pm »

I'm also starting to look at various options as Sage looks to be dying.. But as the OP stated having a single server that can utilize my 2 hdpvr with FireWire channel changes is a must. Also now that Andy VT has written a service that allows sage utilize cable cards (I have a prime) for copy freely channels there's no way I can ever go back.  From what I gather it looks like the product is definately getting close to achieving these things but just not quite there yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up