INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issue with Television Channel Scan and Guide  (Read 2179 times)

kewe65

• World Citizen
Issue with Television Channel Scan and Guide
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:17:41 pm »

After ditching comcast cable, i still use the 75ohm coaxial cable to watch the local digital and a few analog channels.  All of the digital channels and the available ones were retrieved just fine by Windows Media Center - this includes the two or three digital 'versions' - ie, KTVU/Fox channel 2 for the analog, 2.1 for the digital version.  KQED/PBS shows 9, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3.. etc...

with MC, I first attempted to scan for digital channels on the same tuner card, the status showed a slow scan through 68 channels, but nothing returned.  i then attempted to scan for analog channels, and i got the thirteen analog (whole number) channels.

when assigning the guide and using the "digital terrestrial" version, it did not assign channel names to even the 13- i had to manually select each one and pick from the long list of 68 that were there.

the guide GUI looks good in MC17 - but the scanning/guide functionality is not working

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Issue with Television Channel Scan and Guide
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:40:57 pm »

U.S.?

What do you have for a TV Tuner?

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 08:12:53 pm »

Yes. U.S.  It's a Hauppauge 723x that came with the PC.

update: i used a scan combination of digital channel through cable source instead of antenna and ended up with a longer list of channels, but still all of them analog versions.  so now on the Television service section there's a list of 13 antenna channels and about 25 'cable' channels.

the reception of these are terrible - both look like they are actually the antenna reception rather than the digital reception of the versions that are coming through the tuner when using WMC

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 06:36:07 pm »

Digital cable is not supported.  MC supports analog TV (analog cable, nowadays with fewer and fewer channels available, and analog antenna which is obsolete in the USA), ATSC over-the-air digital TV, and cable / satellite via a set-top-box and Media Center Remote set.

To scan channels, go to standard TV view and click TV Options... button, Scan for channels...

You have the option of scanning one, two, or all three types described above.  You may want to just do them one at a time to be sure.  Follow the instructions on the wizard.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 06:56:14 pm »

My TV's internal ATSC tuner handles the digital signal that comes through the coax cable.  Windows Media Center also handles it.  This should be a capability addition to Media Center.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 03:27:42 pm »

Yeah, there is a lot of content available on digital cable that is not protected content. Most of my Comcast Digital Starter Tier is maked copy freely. This could easily be supported by MC... either QAM or the Ceton and HD Prime Occur tuners. For example almost all content of FIOS is marke copy freely. No reason for unprotected digital cable to be unsupported. Nice bragging about all the new sales..support digital cable tuner and a bunch more people will come over. I know Jim is kind of stubborn but if he wanted the user base of AVS eating out his hand he would focus on that group.. getting some interest over there has paid off big.. What you have seen is a drop in the bucket. I am still married to Windows Media Center becaue TV support in MC 17 is still in its infancy.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 03:32:24 pm »

I am still married to Windows Media Center becaue TV support in MC 17 is still in its infancy.
I don't think you've had a good look if you think that.

But it's a big world and we can't please everyone.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 03:35:33 pm »

Digital cable is on our list, but I am not able to say when it will happen.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up