INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Deletion Problem  (Read 2892 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Image Deletion Problem
« on: November 05, 2011, 04:07:52 pm »

I'm sorry to report the problem in .179 (and a few prior builds) is still happening in .181. In summary:

On Windows Vista, using MC to manage photos.

In the default Calendar (or any other) Thumbnails view, When I delete to Recycle Bin, MC hangs. It never recovers, has to be forced closed.

The image being deleted usually ends up in Recycle Bin, so MC is hanging after that action.

If the view is switched to Details, deleting to Recycle Bin works correctly, no hang.

The above is what I reported for .179, but today I noticed something that might be a clue.

To add photos to MC, I first put them in a temp folder on drive C, which MC then imports. If I Delete to Recycle Bin while a photo is still in the temp import folder, MC DOES NOT HANG (at least, not so far).

After I review the photos, delete bad shots, do some tagging, I use Rename..., which moves the photos to where the main library lives, on drive M.

After the photos are moved from C to M and renamed, if I try to delete one of them to Recycle Bin while in a Thumbnails view, MC HANGS.

HUGE CLUE: View Thumbnails or Details. MC can Delete to Recycle Bin without hanging IF the photo is selected in a Details view. The hang only seems to happen in a Thumbnails view.

THOUGHTS: Because the HANG only seems to happen after Rename-Move, could this process be failing to rename-move EVERYTHING -- thumbnail, cached image/pointer, whatever.? If something remains in the old/wrong location or has the old name, when MC tries to Delete to Recycle Bin but doesn't find what it is expecting to find, might that cause the hang?

This same computer has been my MC photo library for years, I know this problem did not happen with MC15. There are no problems with the computer or the drive, no virus checkers running, none of that. MC 16 seems to work perfectly except for this odd problem.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Image Deletion Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 04:47:37 pm »

Try emptying the recycle bin.

MusicHawk

Image Deletion Problem
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:22:53 pm »

I emptied the Recyle Bin, and even removed and rebuilt it, didn't help.

I don't think the MC problem arises from the fact that I'm Deleting to Recycle Bin, since I can do so from a Details view without a problem, and since the deleted photo ends up in Recycle Bin either way.

I think the problem is whatever MC does NEXT, and contemplation of what it does differently when Deleting to Recycle Bin in a Thumbnails view vs. a Details view.

Certainly something might be goofy on my PC, and or with Windows Vista. The problem does not happen on my other PC that also runs MC 16 (for video), but it's an XP system (I use MC15 for audio). I only have one Vista PC so I can't try replicate the exact situation, but (insert expletive here) Vista is always a suspect.

It's just that there are no problems in any app, other than the specific MC action of Deleting from a Thumbnails view to Recycle Bin.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Image Deletion Problem
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 06:28:30 pm »

Are you running in any compatibility mode?  This isn't necessary and can cause problems.

UAC or other security software could cause a problem.

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 06:46:36 pm »

Nope, Vista is in normal mode, and UAC has been disabled since Day 1.

What I don't get is why I can Delete to Recycle bin in Details view but not Thumbnails view. Presumably both would do the same thing to the main image file (and the thumbnail/cache versions?).

Contemplating what's different about Thumbnail and Details view, in Thumbnail view, a largish image being deleted is simultaneously being displayed. Is that a thumbnail/cached copy of the image, or is it the live original image? If it's the original image file, is the file locked while it is displayed? Or in a similar state that causes Vista to prevent changes to the file or its path (deletion to Recycle is mostly a path change)? But since the image does get moved to the Recycle Bin even when MC hangs, that doesn't seem to explain the situation. Unless, perhaps the move to Recycle Bin only happens after MC crashes and therefore releases the file so Vista can finally move it.

Just speculation, of course...

MusicHawk

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 01:46:19 pm »

More testing with .181:

Failure deleting images to Recycle bin from Thumbnails view. MC succeeds in moving the images to Recycle Bin, THEN MC HANGS doing whatever should happen next.

Success deleting images totally (not to Recycle Bin) from Thumbnails view.

Success deleting images to Recycle Bin from Details view.

Whatever MC does to an image while displaying it in View by Thumbnail seems incompatible with deleting same image to Recycle Bin.

Recycle Bin itself doesn't seem to be the problem. It works, even when MC hangs.

Problem seems to be MC internal deadlock or impossible action when deleting from Thumbnail View to Recycle Bin.

Can't rule out Windows Vista, but don't know what else to check (UAC is always disabled, no evident access rights, no Vista errors other than reporting MC has crashed).

Pages: [1]   Go Up