INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA slow after firmware update on the streamer  (Read 11146 times)

Streamz

• Recent member
DLNA slow after firmware update on the streamer
« on: November 20, 2011, 06:17:01 am »

I'll give a full description, as maybe other MC users will experience the same issue.

I'm using MC 16.0.181, on a FitC2 (Atom Z530 CPU) for serving about 1500 FLAC's and MP3's to my T+A MP1260R streamer. That's just over 33GB storage, and another 56GB of movies. So I'm not talking about multiple TB's. This T+A streamer uses BridgeCo streaming solutions.

This worked fine, skipping through the menu on the T+A was fast and responsive.
Now, after an update of the T+A's firmware, walking through the menu slowed down to irritating levels. To get from "Artist" to the corresponding "Albums" take -7 seconds. So I presumed the new firmware was faulty. This has been checked by the distributor, and they said there's nothing wrong.

This new firmware is not just a simple bugfix or something, it adds gapless playback. So I can understand that this firmware is completely rewritten, as gapless is never intended for DLNA/UPnP devices. And that it can have impact on performance.

To see if the new firmware is really working fine, I installed Twonky 4.4. And yes, Twonky is much faster. Drilling don the menu takes now just 0,5 to 2 seconds maximum. The problem is that I really like MC, for it's user friendly interface, but also because of the ASIO support.

What can I do to speed up the DLNA part of MC? Is there some software tweaking to do?
And what would an SSD do? I don't know the structure of the DLNA server, but as SSD's are very good in the random read part, this could help a lot?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DLNA very slow after gapless functionality update in the streamer
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 06:56:05 am »

Did you try MC17?  You can leave MC16 installed.

Streamz

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:57:34 am »

No, not yet. Are there significant changes in the DLNA server part of MC17 compared to MC16?

<edit> wow, installation of the MC17 was fast! Renamed to MC17, so that I could be sure that the streamer uses the new MC17 config.
No effect however, drilling down still takes 6 seconds per layer.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 07:36:55 am »

No, not yet. Are there significant changes in the DLNA server part of MC17 compared to MC16?
Yes.

Try changing DLNA settings in MC.

Streamz

• Recent member
Re: DLNA slow after firmware update on the streamer
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:36:58 pm »

Ok. Unckecked DLNAextra under Advanced, basically all is unchecked and conversion is still turned off. Also under "client options all 3 options are now unchecked. Don'want any overhead.

Still no success, not even the slightest improvement. 

Streamz

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:31:11 am »

Tried some other checking and unchecking, but still no success. Whatever I do, drilling down takes 6 seconds. Is there some sort of shortcut, to bypass everything in order to speed op the DLNA server?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 10:05:22 am »

Tried some other checking and unchecking, but still no success. Whatever I do, drilling down takes 6 seconds. Is there some sort of shortcut, to bypass everything in order to speed op the DLNA server?
Let's see if I understand this properly. You are using the streamer as a DLNA player (accessing files in MC's DLNA server)? So accessing content directories in MC from the streamer is slow??

Streamz

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 02:57:05 pm »

Correct.

So when selecting an artist, it takes 6 seconds to get to the corresponding "Albums". And from there, when selecting an album it takes another seconds to get to the songs.
Not only when drilling down, but also drilling up, e.g to get back from an album to the artist, it takes again 6 seconds.

This wasn't the case with the previous version of the streamers' firmware, and I can understand that gapless functionallity practically rewrites completely the firmware. But at the same time there's no issue with Twonky. So what's fundamentally different between the DLNA server of Twonky and JRiver?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 04:32:23 pm »

Correct.

So when selecting an artist, it takes 6 seconds to get to the corresponding "Albums". And from there, when selecting an album it takes another seconds to get to the songs.
Not only when drilling down, but also drilling up, e.g to get back from an album to the artist, it takes again 6 seconds.

This wasn't the case with the previous version of the streamers' firmware, and I can understand that gapless functionality practically rewrites completely the firmware. But at the same time there's no issue with Twonky. So what's fundamentally different between the DLNA server of Twonky and JRiver?
DLNA is pretty complex. There are many different sources of code for the servers/renderers/controllers  (we use our own). Many of the renderers use embeded linux, many controllers use java...

If you want to do a wireshark capture of the interaction and email it to bob (at) jriver (dot) com we could take a look at it.
Basically you install wireshark on your PC, start it up filtering on the ip address of your PC and streamer (capture->options->capture filter type in host 1.1.1.1 and host 2.2.2.2 using your real ip's then hit start) go to the streamer and do the minimum possible to show the problem, stop the capture, save as a pcap file and email it to us.

fhelenius

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 01:08:04 pm »

hi

I have another problem on DLNA - donīt know if anyone of you have tried this. I have an oppo bd93 - and it used to read cue-files without any problem - but after the last update this has stoppped and my play can only read the flac file

Any advice ??

frank/ denmark

Streamz

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 01:24:28 pm »

Bob, mailed the requested file. thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 06:33:22 pm »

You probably have to turn on conversion for Cue files to be played.

fhelenius

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 10:18:57 am »

Hi again

I have tried to change the settings to "turn on conversion". Here it can play the cue-file - but the flac file ic concerted to wav - meaning all the tag-info dissapears - meaning no title, album artist, artwork.

It has worked previouly without any problems - it shows the correct file-names from she cue-file but plays only the complete flac-file.

Help appreciated :)

frank/&denmark

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 12:21:18 pm »

hi

I have another problem on DLNA - donīt know if anyone of you have tried this. I have an oppo bd93 - and it used to read cue-files without any problem - but after the last update this has stoppped and my play can only read the flac file

Any advice ??

frank/ denmark
Update to the bd93 or to MC?
If MC, from what version to what version?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 01:07:21 pm »

Bob, mailed the requested file. thanks.
Thanks for the file.
I see that windows media services are enabled on a PC (it's in IPV6). You might try turning that off.
Given your addresses, the capture filter line should look exactly like:

host 192.168.1.201 and host 192.168.1.202

Make sure the correct ethernet adapter is specified in the interface select box.

You have to run wireshark on the MC PC, you can't use it on the computer you are using for RDP since network switch between your computers will not forward packets to machines not involved in the connection.

If you could get the stalling in the dump that would help.

The one request in you dump looks good. The only thing I can see in there that isn't totally simple is the container artwork. You could try turning on the "present small artwork" switch in Advanced Options.

Streamz

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 01:36:43 pm »

Ok, thanks, I'll try to get myself around Wireshark. I'm not technical at all, so it will take some time.

Wireshark is installed on the MC pc, but as there is no screen connected to the MC pc, I'm using my laptop with Remote Desktop to control it.
I'll turn off the artwork option, the streamer cannot use it anyway. <edit: I have to turn in ON I see now?>

Here's the streamer btw.

Again, it's using BridgeCo electronics, as many other streamers do. Don't know if anyone encountered issues with these BridgeCo boards.

Streamz

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 02:05:10 pm »

Switched ON the "present small artwork" options. Restarted both MC17 and the streamer, just to be sure.
No effect unfortunately, still the 6 second lag.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 09:42:30 am »

Ok, thanks, I'll try to get myself around Wireshark. I'm not technical at all, so it will take some time.

Wireshark is installed on the MC pc, but as there is no screen connected to the MC pc, I'm using my laptop with Remote Desktop to control it.
I'll turn off the artwork option, the streamer cannot use it anyway. <edit: I have to turn in ON I see now?>

Again, it's using BridgeCo electronics, as many other streamers do. Don't know if anyone encountered issues with these BridgeCo boards.
Sure looks cool :)

Streamz

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 11:02:17 am »

Yup, sure does, and sounds even better.
I've mailed you the second capture attempt. Including the lag of 6 seconds.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 04:19:49 pm »

Thanks for the capture.
It's stalling at the end of the directory transaction for no reason that I can see, everything looks ok.
Does this happen everywhere when you browse (for example when you are at the top audio level and there is only album, artist, etc)?

A dump of it not stalling with twonky would be helpful too...

Streamz

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 01:03:41 am »

Yes, it does at any level. And always 6 seconds to drill down. Or up.
I was putting down "I'll make a dump of Twonky tonight" but that sounds a bit strange. Anyway, I'll send you the capture file based on Twonky tonight.

Streamz

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 11:11:36 am »

Bob, YHM.
thanks

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 05:14:19 pm »

I'm not seeing any obvious differences except for the updateID which I changed but didn't make it into todays beta. I'll get you something to test Monday....

Streamz

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 02:53:35 pm »

Also here: the issue is gone now, JRiver is faster than Twonky on the DLNA part now. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up