INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't see Panasonic Viera TV  (Read 13305 times)

sakendrick

• Recent member
Can't see Panasonic Viera TV
« on: December 10, 2011, 03:30:30 pm »

I'm trialing JRiver as the solution to my media serving needs.  Media hosted on a computer in the office, several devices connected to the network including Denon 2312, WD TV Live Hub, Panasonic Viera TV... all DLNA compatable. 

Everyting seems to be working really great, but I can't play stuff to my TV from the Media Center.  I can browse to the content on the PC that hostes the JRiver media server from the TV, and playback files, but I for some reason the TV doesn't show up in the Playing Now list.  THe media center seems to have no knowledge of the TV.  Anyway to tell it about it?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can't see Panasonic Viera TV
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 03:42:53 pm »

Welcome.  The device may not be a DLNA Renderer.

The wiki has a topic on DLNA.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 05:09:32 pm »

... I can browse to the content on the PC that hostes the JRiver media server from the TV, and playback files, but I for some reason the TV doesn't show up in the Playing Now list.  THe media center seems to have no knowledge of the TV.

This would imply the TV is not a DLNA Server, correct?  I'm reading the OP says that Playing from the TV seems to work.

Which Viera do you have?  I don't believe even the latest ones have DLNA Servers (they are only Players), meaning you can play from/on the TV, but not stream the TV to your PC's DLNA software, nor push content to them.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 11:59:23 pm »

the wiki didn't help me too much, but yea, from the TV I can browse content on any DLNA server and play it.  What I can't seem to do is "push" content to the TV through the media center... after posting this I loaded up windows media player to see if it appeared in my list of "play to" devices, which it doesn't, so I'm assuming it' just not possible (server, renderer, whatever)

MrC

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 12:23:58 am »

Here's a blurb from Panasonic on what you can do.

csimon

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 09:02:40 am »

The blurb does say that you can send media from a PC to the TV (rather than "pulling" it from the PC) and if you do a product search on dlna.org for Panasonic TVs with Play To capability then there are pages and pages of them that are listed.

The question from the OP is why the TV is not appearing in MC as a DLNA renderer.

Have you enabled MC to act as a DLNA Controller in the media network options?  And can you see the TV from another DLNA controller, for example can you Play To it from Windows?  Does your WD TV Live show up as a renderer?

MrC

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:46:57 am »

Here's info I see re: Panasonic's flagship TC-P65VT30

From Panasonic's FAQ:

A DLNA certified media server, such as a Windows 7 personal computer, needs to be connected to the same network as your TV. Once the DLNA server is configured on this network, press the [VIERA TOOLS] button on the remote control and select DLNA. Next, you will be prompted to select the DLNA server you wish to connect to. Select the DLNA server, then the available content will be displayed.

From page 40 of the User Manual:

Using DLNA feature (Home network) p. 46
This TV is a DLNA Certified™ product.
DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) is a standard that makes DLNA Certified digital electronics easier and more
convenient to use on a home network. To learn more, visit www.dlna.org.
It allows you to share photos, videos and music stored in the DMS (for example, PC with windows 7 installed, etc.)
connected to your home network, and enjoy watching them on the TV screen as DMP or DMR.

DMS (Digital Media Server)
Ensure the connected equipment has a DLNA Certified media server.
Store photos, videos or music in the media server, and then you can watch them on the TV.
“Windows 7” is the server software that has been tested for the performance with this TV (current as of January, 2011).
For installing, read the manual for the server software.
  ●The DLNA control function of Windows 7 is not supported with this TV.
  ●When a server software for the media server is installed on the PC, the data may be at risk of being accessed by
    other people. Please be aware of the settings and connections under network circumstances at the office, at a
    hotel or even at home when not using a router.

DMP (Digital Media Player)
Finds the content on DMS and provides playback.

DMR (Digital Media Renderer)
Plays content received from the DMC, which will find content from DMS.

DMC (Digital Media Controller)
Finds the content on DMS and plays it on the DMR (This TV). (e.g. PDA, Internet tablets etc.)

■DLNA remote control
This TV supports the DLNA control function.
To use this function, set the “Network link” (p. 44)

Since we don't know the model of the TV, this is speculation.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 11:59:03 am »

The TV is Panasonic Viera TC-P46X3

As mentioned I can browse and pull files from the media server
At first test, i could not play to from windows 7/media player but may need to check again.

I"m not clear on the contradicting statments in red below
- The DLNA control function of Windows 7 is not supported with this TV.
- This TV supports the DLNA control function.

MrC

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 12:14:55 pm »

The manual re: DLNA is not very clear.  In any case, your manual only makes the first statement:

TC-P46X3 manual, page 34:

● The DLNA control function of Windows 7 is not supported with this TV.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 12:27:14 pm »

OK - thanks for clarifying.  That's what I assumed when I could "play to" from win7.  At least I can pull content.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 08:49:11 pm »

OK - so now I'm simply trying to pull files using my TV from my Media Center server.  This worked fine with windows media player and DLNA, but now that I"ve moved to JRiver it doesn't seem to play anything.  Shows me all the lists of movies but when I attempt to play one, just sits on a blank screen.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?  Like I said - use to work with windows media player.

MrC

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 09:23:35 pm »

What are you conversion & encoder settings for Video under the DLNA section?

Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers...

I find I have to set:
  Conversion: Always convert
  Encoder: MPEG2 high bandwidth stream

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 08:15:52 am »

gave that a try... it seemed to get a little further in that instead of blank screen it gave me a "please wait" type message and then showed a media tool bar at the top, recognized the name of the movie and length. But the movie still wouldn't play.

I'm having additional troubles  as these are likley server configuration issues, I'll post another thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up