INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: $10 is too much  (Read 9050 times)

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
$10 is too much
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:08:40 am »

[Split from jremote thread by JimH]

$10?  Too much, especially when the competition, iTunes, is free.  $5, maybe.

durufle

• Recent member
Re: $10 is too much
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:26:07 am »

$10 is too much? Give me a break ::)

Worth every penny.

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:41:29 am »

ITunes Target audience is most of the planet and they make their money through their whole ecosystem which is anything but free.
Target Audience for this is MC users with an iDevice.  Give the poor chap a break!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:23:01 am »

$10 seems very reasonable for the time spent.

iTunes is free, but it's a parasite meant to suck all the money out of your pocket.

PeeBee

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:33:02 am »

For a good piece of software and we hope for future seriously supported by the author, it's normally priced and in my point of view worth the money.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:43:18 am »

I don't think the argument is should the developer be compensated 10.  The answer is yes.  But i'm of the same camp that given the itunes remote is free its a  tough choice to pay 10 while otherwise you can get it free.

Not sure the remote is meant to suck your money dry...I use it and haven't spent anything but hey...I guess I bought the iphone which isn't free.

)p(

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 12:13:06 pm »

For a good piece of software and we hope for future seriously supported by the author, it's normally priced and in my point of view worth the money.

I agree 100%. The best comparison for me is with the ios remotes for squeezebox devices. I bought ipeng years ago. I use it everyday. The author still works on it a lot and responds to users everyday in the most helpful way you can imagine. For such a niche product and the amount of use I got from it...the 10 biucks I paid for it are a steal.

PeeBee

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 12:31:12 pm »

yeah, me too

I sponsor these guys :), also have iPeng, Squeezepad, My River, now JRemote, forgot some, but enjoy all of them

)p(

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 12:34:17 pm »

yeah, me too

I sponsor these guys :), also have iPeng, Squeezepad, My River, now JRemote, forgot some, but enjoy all of them

Same here, I have them all. Ipeng is my fav by far though.

dummy

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 09:15:00 pm »

I think 10$ is a steal for what It is so far. And Its only version 1 so I can only imagine the future...

Don't tell the author but I would have paid up to 50$ for something like that (given a free trial beforehand to be sure). For me Its that good. Its just as fast (If not faster), seamless and natural than Apple's Remote.

I am as cheap as the next guy but this time around I am more than glad to have given my 10$ to M. JRemote!

pcstockton

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 10:16:25 pm »

$10 is fine.... dont be cheap.

How many .99 and 1.99 apps have you bought that aren't even on your iPhone/Pad any longer?
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

hdplex

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 12:39:56 pm »

I would happily pay 50 for it.
I am even willing to pay 500-1k if this app could meet some of my special requirement.

eternaloptimist

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 11:45:05 pm »

This app has brought me back to J River MC - it is fast to reconnect, extremely fast with cover art display and stable.
Although WebRemote worked on my iPhone (configured with a separate browser as the home page) the interface is under the "simple, effective but not elegant" banner.
I am very happy to pay $10 for well written and supported software / apps.

Mishamag

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 05:54:54 pm »

This is clearly a beta piece of software. There are issues to be worked-out. We're paying the developer to test it out for him. Further, we're paying the developer $10 to share our ideas (many of them very good) of what will make it a better product. I remember the days when marketing firms paid consumers to do that for manufacturers. I would not complain about this if I could be refunded my $10, but apparently that doesn't happen in the kingdom of Jobs. Like many apps I use, the price should be negligible for early adopters while the kinks are eliminated and features are added. When it's better developed charge what the market will pay.

For me, as it stands now, it would've been worth $.99 and I wouldn't be bothered that it doesn't function properly on my IPad. Given that I can't be refunded my $10 I am at the mercy of the developer who I'm sure is working very hard on the app, but that's not doing me any good right now. I've used the app for a total of maybe 90 seconds. LOL'ing at the $10 price. I wouldn't be bothered at all if it was marketed as a $.99 beta download, but it wasn't.

No bloody way would I have paid $50 to JRiver without a 30-day trial. I never would've looked at it and would have continued using no cost alternatives. The free trial hooked me. They got my $50 and a happy customer for likely a long time to come. Sorry to say that charging $10 for an app that hasn't been properly tested is just bad business. I've learned my lesson...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 11:59:46 pm »

+++
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

lbstyling

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 09:24:51 am »

$10 is nothing when your supporting a good developer.

Look at it this way- If you spent $2 and the app was poor or 'ok', you just spent $2 supporting a developers future work on other apps that will equally be ok or possibly uninspiring.

If you think the app is good, and you spent $20, you just gave $20 to a good developer, so he can use that money and expand, developing more good apps for you!

Its business. you invest in people and there values. Reward good products with good pay, and you get more!

pcstockton

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 09:32:00 am »

Like many apps I use, the price should be negligible for early adopters while the kinks are eliminated and features are added. When it's better developed charge what the market will pay.

Which app(s) have used this method?

I wouldn't be bothered that it doesn't function properly on my IPad. Given that I can't be refunded my $10 I am at the mercy of the developer who I'm sure is working very hard on the app, but that's not doing me any good right now. I've used the app for a total of maybe 90 seconds. LOL'ing at the $10 price. I wouldn't be bothered at all if it was marketed as a $.99 beta download, but it wasn't.

Do you care to describe the problems you are running into?  I am sure someone can assist you in getting it to work.  I have noticed very few bugs in my few hours of use.  I have tried everything.  See above for the only two "bugs" i have noticed.

Are are you just complaining for the sake of it?

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Mishamag

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 12:50:01 pm »

Which app(s) have used this method?
Countless Ipad/android games started their life as $.99'ers and escalated in price as they went through revisions and increased in popularity. Animoog, one of my favourite app's began its life at $.99 and is now $29.99.

Do you care to describe the problems you are running into?  I am sure someone can assist you in getting it to work.  I have noticed very few bugs in my few hours of use.  I have tried everything.  See above for the only two "bugs" i have noticed.

This is not the thread to be describing the problem I am encountering. I've done that in the main jremote thread. The same issue, which renders the app pretty much useless, was encountered by another user and it has not yet been responded to by the developer or any other reader.

Are are you just complaining for the sake of it?

So as not to start a flame war I won't respond to your question the way it should be responded to. I will say that I don't think it's complaining when I suggest an alternative marketing path to a developer who is obviously doing some good work on a product which is still in development. I don't think it's complaining to suggest early adopters of an unfinished product be rewarded (paying a low price) for giving their ideas to a developer. Ideas, which in the future will make the product more marketable to more people at a higher price. I think these ideas are far more valuable than $10. I don't think it's complaining when I say people have paid $10 for a product that is broken and question the marketplace that doesn't allow them to get their money refunded. That's all.

pcstockton

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 01:00:59 pm »

Countless Ipad/android games started their life as $.99'ers and escalated in price as they went through revisions and increased in popularity. Animoog, one of my favourite app's began its life at $.99 and is now $29.99.

Who is to say this isn't exactly what JRemote is doing.  For all we know this IS the introductory price.  Also... I know that app.  I recall it being a $9.99 promotion when it was released.  But that is a moot point.

This is not the thread to be describing the problem I am encountering. I've done that in the main jremote thread. The same issue, which renders the app pretty much useless, was encountered by another user and it has not yet been responded to by the developer or any other reader.

I have used the app without ANY crashes, not one, on iPad1 and iPhone 4, with MC16.  Is there any chance that a delete and re-download might alleviate the problem?

Lastly, I apologize for my last comment that you seemed to take exception to.  Sometimes I just want/need to vent, and it seemed like that is what you were doing.  Of course it is simply how I read the "tone" of your message.  You seemed fairly upset.

I suppose we both simply put a much different value on $10.  That is less than 2 pints of beer, not including tip.  If I had 2 beers and didn't particularly care for them, or even hated them, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  I certainly wouldn't ask for a refund.  I would simply pay my bill, tip at least 25%, and go on my merry way.  Of course I wouldn't order it again.

I figured you would do the same with an app.

Cheers!
Patrick

Mishamag

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 02:00:59 pm »

Who is to say this isn't exactly what JRemote is doing.  For all we know this IS the introductory price.  Also... I know that app.  I recall it being a $9.99 promotion when it was released.  But that is a moot point.

The promo price of $9.99 was for the iphone app. The promo price for the Ipad was, indeed, $.99.

I have used the app without ANY crashes, not one, on iPad1 and iPhone 4, with MC16.  Is there any chance that a delete and re-download might alleviate the problem?

Thanks, I'll try that out.

Lastly, I apologize for my last comment that you seemed to take exception to.  Sometimes I just want/need to vent, and it seemed like that is what you were doing.  Of course it is simply how I read the "tone" of your message.  You seemed fairly upset.

I was upset. I wasn't upset so much with the developer as with the practices of the marketplace he is in. Now if you really want to hear me upset get me talking about Steve Jobs and his deification.

I suppose we both simply put a much different value on $10.  That is less than 2 pints of beer, not including tip.  If I had 2 beers and didn't particularly care for them, or even hated them, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  I certainly wouldn't ask for a refund.  I would simply pay my bill, tip at least 25%, and go on my merry way.  Of course I wouldn't order it again.

I would do the same, but the 25% tip, that would depend on the service I received. If I bought a book for $10 and didn't enjoy it I would not seek a refund, but likely wouldn't buy another book by that author.  However, what would you do if you bought a book for $10 only to find that the last chapter was missing? I, and I assume most others, would return it to the bookseller for a refund. That's how I feel about this app. I've gotten most of the story, but I'm missing a key part of it. Thanks to Apple Inc I can't get my hard earned dollars back.

(As an aside, why do I have to pay $12 for a digital version of that same book? The publisher doesn't have to cut down a tree, make paper, print it, box it, ship it to a distributor who then has to ship it to stores that pay high rent for retail space to shelve these books. You can blame Steve Jobs for this, too. That's a long story for another forum, though.)

pcstockton

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 06:17:07 pm »

Duly noted on all points.

Does Android refund app purchases?  I dont think this is an Apple-only thing.

-Patrick

Mishamag

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 08:04:55 pm »

Does Android refund app purchases?  I dont think this is an Apple-only thing.

The Android Market used to allow you 24 hours to try-out a product. Sadly, they changed this policy months ago and it's down to fifteen minutes, but I suppose that's better than nothing.

Anyway, I don't want people thinking I have anything against the developer. I don't. I'm sure there will come a point when I will be able to use the app and will greatly appreciate the functionality of it.

Is it worth $.99, $9.99, or $49.99? It's too bad we don't live in place where people could and would pay what it's worth to them individually. As it is, I imagine developers spend sleepless nights trying to figure what price is right. I never thought I'd pay $50 for a media controller like JRiver when there's some pretty darn fine free alternatives available, but I think it's the best value piece of software that I've ever bought. It's also likely the most frustrating, too, because the more I realize its capabilities the more I have to think and learn stuff to best utilize them. Fun, though, isn't it?

pcstockton

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 09:54:14 am »

Fun, though, isn't it?

Second only to the music itself!

I guess it would be interesting to be able to "name your own price", kinda like Radiohead did with Like Rainbows downloads. But in our global economy something tells me this would destroy the world as we know it.

Read the Red Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson.  VERY interesting economic models in there.  It is like a reverse haggle....  If you are going to pay me this much for A, I am also going to give B and C.  Well then I will give you even more money AND D... No me.  No me!!!!

-Patrick

Mishamag

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 02:05:11 pm »

Read the Red Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson.  VERY interesting economic models in there.  It is like a reverse haggle....  If you are going to pay me this much for A, I am also going to give B and C.  Well then I will give you even more money AND D... No me.  No me!!!!

I don't have time to read any more as I'm too busy re-tagging my classical collection and creating countless ways to view it in MC.

pcstockton

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 02:39:49 pm »

I don't have time to read any more as I'm too busy re-tagging my classical collection and creating countless ways to view it in MC.

to each their own

latebeat

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 11:14:02 am »

+1

I too think that $10 it's too much for what it is.
By comparison the Constellation app which is a remote control app for xbmc is at least 10 times better (I'm talking about one app vs the other not jriver vs xbmc). More features, nicer interface, more modern design, and it's much faster but that's beyond the point. The point is that sooo many amazing apps are no more than $.99.
The only argument I do understand and sympathize is that's it's a very small market. For that same reason I'm not saying that it should cost $.99... maybe $3 or 5.

Anyhow, not a big deal, just wanted to share my opinion.

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 09:40:34 pm »

Agreed.

Now the cash I had to lay out for an iPad 3, accessories, tax = JRemote X 100......
I hope my retinas like it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 10:00:31 pm »

I just bumbled back in on this thread, and I wanted to add...

Red Mars is indeed very awesome, and almost certainly not what you'd expect from a "sci-fi novel".

pcstockton

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 01:56:48 am »

I just bumbled back in on this thread, and I wanted to add...

Red Mars is indeed very awesome, and almost certainly not what you'd expect from a "sci-fi novel".

So good. I am not a sci-fi fanatic by any means but surely dont disparage the genre. Have you done Neal Stephenson yet?

-patrick

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 12:48:17 pm »

I read Snow Crash a long, long time ago.

I'm actually porting around the audiobook version on my iPhone right now, but I haven't listened to it yet.  I want to re-"read" this before I get into Cryptonomicon, Quicksilver, or Anathem (all of which I also own).

I'm also not a huge SciFi reader, though I have read every book William Gibson published through 2003 or so.  I know he has some new stuff, but I haven't gone there (the last one I read of his was somewhat "meh").

pcstockton

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 06:14:26 pm »

Glynor.

PLEASE put Diamond Age straight to the top of the list.  Then tackle Cryptonomicon.  THEN into the Baroque Cycle.

I havent done Anathema yet but it is ready and waiting.  I am crushing our Game of Thrones real quick first.

Cheers!
patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up