INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cant play ripped dvd [Solved by updating video driver]  (Read 4148 times)

guitarman

• Recent member
Cant play ripped dvd [Solved by updating video driver]
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:28:43 pm »

I ripped one of my DVD's using MC 17 and everytime I go to play it MC freezes and closes down. Does anyone know how I might resolve this?

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
Re: Cant play ripped dvd
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:36:40 pm »

Hey, what's  up???  ;D

How was the DVD ripped? What software did you use? Or did you rip it in MC17?

Standard DVD? Or was it a combi DVD? DO other DVD's play fine? Is it just this one DVD giving you problems? Trying using another program to play it to see if was not corrupted during ripping. Some DVD's cannot be ripped because of invalid formats. A lot of Disney DVD's are like this.

Jimmy
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

guitarman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 10:47:15 pm »

Its a Keith Urban live concert DVD that I own. It plays fine and if I play it from the drive it plays fine. I ripped it with MC17 then tried to play the file.
I am currently ripping with DVD shrink to see if its just a case of the copy protection, incase MC17 doesn't remove that. This is the first DVD I've tried. I just want to put all my concert DVD's and Blu rays on the computer for convenience.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:08:30 pm »

I use AnyDVD. It is well worth the asking price. Post back after your ripping process ends.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

guitarman

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 11:23:08 pm »

after ripping with dvd shrink on my main computer (not connected to a TV or stereo) It played fine in MC17. I then transferred the files to my HTPC and tried playing it in MC17 there and it just freezes never being able to play. This has my stumped and annoyed.

guitarman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 12:20:49 am »

It seems I can't even play the dvd straight from the dvd drive. I get an error about a key exchange protection failed. God this MC17 is buggy

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 12:33:53 am »

That's the dvd copy protection. Download the free trial of AnyDVD from Slysoft. The dvd ripper removes the copy protection from the dvd, and Anydvd is the best. Copy protection is something you will need to get used to, it's not JRiver.
www.jdsmarthome.com

guitarman

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 01:01:55 am »

Yes I removed the copy protection with dvd shrink. The files played ok with MC17 on one computer. But the PC that I have hooked up to my TV via HDMI (sound card to my stereo) will not play the same files.
When I play the DVD in my computer drive on the computer that isn't connected to a tv or stereo it plays fine. No copy protection problem. The problem arises when I play this file on my HTPC that is connected to my Panasonic Plasma via HDMI and the soundcard goes from spdif to home theater receiver. That is the only difference from the system that it works on.

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 01:41:45 am »

I suggest you to try MakeMKV (free when beta, dvd-features always free...). It makes mkv-file, so you can use madVR and it should be as stable as normal mkv.... MakeMKV removes any copy protection and it does not transcode video (so no quality loss) and it is really fast (5-15min).
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 08:18:46 am »

Being that MC can play the file fine in one PC but not the other tells me that the problem is in the PC and not the software. I would check all settings - both in MC and in the PC, and make sure all drivers are current.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

guitarman

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 12:44:17 pm »

I think it may have something to do with the the way my htpc is connected to the tv and stereo. HDMI and SPDIF. That is the only difference between the PC where it works and the one it doesnt.
However makemkv kind of solved my problem. When I rip the DVD's to an mkv file they play perfectly. But the one annoyance is that it rips titles in to separate files instead of one mkv file. I would like to play the mkv as if it were a DVD file. Being able to choose menus. I guess if I can't accomplish this I'll have to settle for at least being able to play the main title.

guitarman

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 02:42:48 pm »

seems anydvd is a bust to.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 02:51:40 pm »

If you've ripped the discs, I don't think it's a copy protection problem.

It may be a problem with hardware acceleration.  Try updating MC to build 85 (from the top of the MC17 board) and checking or unchecking hardware acceleration.

There is a Blu-ray thread  that may be similar:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69802.0

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 04:19:11 pm »

I use DVDFab to rip DVDs. Tried playing back my first rip through JRMC17 this evening. Works fine ... Just wish I knew how to turn off the PC laptop display when playing back through a TV screen!

guitarman

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 07:08:03 pm »

If you've ripped the discs, I don't think it's a copy protection problem.

It may be a problem with hardware acceleration.  Try updating MC to build 85 (from the top of the MC17 board) and checking or unchecking hardware acceleration.

There is a Blu-ray thread  that may be similar:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69802.0

Well this didn't work either. Just can't play dvd files ripped or from the DVD drive.

guitarman

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 05:07:05 pm »

Well I updated my video drivers (I have no idea why that is the last thing I thought of) and it works now. I can rip full uncompressed DVD's with DVD shrink and they will now play in MC17. I still can't play from the DVD drive with MC but I don't really care about that. I only wanted to put them uncompressed on my computer and play in MC17 and now I can accomplish that.

guitarman

• Recent member
Re: Cant play ripped dvd [Solved by updating video driver]
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 01:14:51 am »

Seems this only solved for a day then MC17 started crashing again on ripped dvd files. Windows Media player can play them and so can powerdvd on the same system. But for some reason J river cannot play ripped dvd files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 06:57:21 am »

Did you update MC?  What build are you using?

guitarman

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 09:23:35 am »

Did you update MC?  What build are you using?

I am using 17.0.86. I tried using the latest (less stable) and after upgrading to that none of my movies would play properly. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the stable version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up