INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remove 'Source is correctly mastered' subwoofer option [advice wanted]  (Read 6693 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

As I explained the option 'Source is correctly mastered for +10 dB calibration' here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70269.msg474122#msg474122

I realized that several of the smartest guys in the room didn't really know what it was or why it was there.

I've never unchecked it.

I'm wondering if anyone would object to us simply removing the option?  A user could use Parametric Equalizer to subtract 10dB from the subwoofer if they really needed it sometimes.

Thoughts?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Remove 'Source is correctly mastered' subwoofer option [advice wanted]
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:06:03 pm »

A user could use Parametric Equalizer to subtract 10dB from the subwoofer if they really needed it sometimes.

Thoughts?

Wouldn't that would screw up rerouted bass which is not too loud? Just the improperly mixed LFE source is bad.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:08:40 pm »

Wouldn't that would screw up rerouted bass which is not too loud? Just the improperly mixed LFE source is bad.

It would be up to the user to adjust the level before bass management.

Another option would be to make this a per-file setting somehow.

I guess I'm trying to gauge the importance of the whole idea.  Has anyone actually intentionally used the option (I haven't)?

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:20:45 pm »

Has anyone actually intentionally used the option (I haven't)?

My understanding is that only a few old DVD's have this problem. I have never needed the option.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:55:48 pm »

I used it back in this thread but haven't used it since. I think you originally added this when implementing bass management because, per other users, some SACD's and concert DVD's were mixed wrong. I think some receivers also included this as an option and you didn't want a receiver to have the upper hand.  ;D

You can only change in PEQ if that is before Room Correction because otherwise the redirected bass levels would be wrong if using bass management in Room Correction.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 03:29:58 am »

Another option would be to make this a per-file setting somehow.

I guess I'm trying to gauge the importance of the whole idea.  Has anyone actually intentionally used the option (I haven't)?

IMHO making this a file level option is best. If it is just a (rare) source mastering problem, then it would make more sense to make it file specific than global. Maybe a playback tag in the same way as 'Aspect ratio' or 'Display settings' for video, you could have a 'Bass Attenuation=10dB' tag in playback info. Hell, you could even make it configurable to -20,-10,-5,0,5,10,20 or whatever and tout it as a 'Bass Boost' for individual tracks.

SBR

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 05:55:11 am »

I've never unchecked it.

Neither have I.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Buckster

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 11:44:48 am »

I think its misleading - I assumed that if you unticked it - it added +10dB to the LFE

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 02:13:38 pm »

I think its misleading - I assumed that if you unticked it - it added +10dB to the LFE
It actually takes -10 dB from the LFE since correctly mastered LFE is -10 dB from the rest of the channels.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 03:12:42 pm »

I have also been under that false assumption. Nice to have it explained.

Since it's only needed on a few, if any, of most users files it would be nice to be able to set it on a per file basis.

Rod

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 07:50:34 pm »

Personally I think it should just be removed. Taking the time to make it a per file option when it is basically never used is a waste of programming resources. I would rather you focus on something else. If someone needs it the odd time they can fix it via PE. Or better yet, rip the media and fix the mastering.

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 08:13:49 pm »

Here is the reason for the issue.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 09:30:36 pm »

This option is on its final leg.

Speak up now if you object.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 10:06:39 pm »

So it is only DTS streams in pre-1999 films that haven't been remastered and re-released since (or you have an old disc)?

I didn't even know that, and certainly don't care if it is removed (I have six DVDs total right now, if I buy them, and I don't, I would rip them and give them away).  But, if that is true, and people do have these, maybe a way to do it on a per-file basis would be cool.  But, how rare are those discs?  How often was DTS used on pre-1999 DVDs, and how many of those have been remastered to fix the problem for newer printings of the discs?

If it is something where someone with a lot of discs they bought over the years, might have 1 in their collection, but they could just re-buy a new copy (or rip it) to fix it, then I'd say don't worry about it and remove it.
But if someone with 200 DVDs from over the years might have 7 or 8 discs that "qualify" (and maybe not even know it), and you couldn't even just re-buy a bunch of them because they've never remastered the audio and the copies they still sell now are still broken.  Well then, I think you need some easy way to fix it.  But, it seems like the current option would be pretty useless to actually fix those discs anyway, because you'd need to remember which ones they are and make a special Zone to play them back in with that option unchecked.

It seems like the only reasonable way to fix the problem is to have a per-file system, and that the current option is mostly useless either way.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:54:14 pm »

It seems like the only reasonable way to fix the problem is to have a per-file system, and that the current option is mostly useless either way.

Yup.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 11:42:37 pm »

Which gets us back to...

How rare are they?  If you pick an oldish movie before 1999, but within the "DVD era", and buy a DVD now on Amazon, do they often still have "bad" DTS tracks if they were originally DTS mastered?  How many movies of that era even had DTS, and how many of those would have been remastered properly since?

I just picked a bunch of random movies from my library from between 1990-1999 and looked them all up on Amazon.  The only one I found so far that listed a DTS track was a special edition of The Remains of the Day, and it is a relatively recent "special edition" so I'm sure it's been remastered.  All the rest were Dolby Digital.  Are we mostly talking about Spielberg stuff and LaserDiscs here?  Because I'm sure all of those have been reissued in fixed forms.  And if you're still using your old LaserDisc player, then... Well, actually, that's kind-of cool, but you can just fix the levels on whatever you have inputting it into MC then.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 03:00:34 am »

"Off with her head!!"  ;D

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 11:19:05 pm »

Which gets us back to...How rare are they?

It's not just DTS, it's "all three sound companies". Sorry, I did not clarify that was a DTS document.

Must be Dolby, DTS and THX
Pages: [1]   Go Up