INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 17.0.122 WASAPI-E and DoP and dynamic sample rate switching Mytek USBPAL driv  (Read 2511 times)

pacwin

• Recent member

On my particular system (Dual core atom ASUS A5IONT-Deluxe Mobo USB 2) the combination of WASAPI-E, DoP enabled and using the Mytek USBPAL driver  generates a Playback Problem dialog, something went wrong with playback, "Playback could not be started on the output WASapi Event Style using the format 192kHz 24 bit 2 ch" etc when playing PCM files. Now when the DSP is set to use the inherent file sample rate, any rate other than the 176.4 used by DoP generates this dialog with the relevant sample rate in the dialog error.

The only workaround is to up or downsample PCM to 176.4 or switch the output method to ASIO when using PCM files and then back to WASAPI-E for DSD. This means that mixed file playlists do not work and that playing a PCM album/track followed by a DSD album/track or vice versa requires either forcing the sample rate or switching driver modes.

Is this a WASAPI-E limitation?. I understand thast sample rate switching should not be a problemm using USB based Audio. Or is this some limitation in the Mytek driver/Firmware?. The latter seems unlikely as this sample rate switching problem is not seen with the Mytek Firewire WASAPI driver. What were the design and performance reasons not to allow ASIO for DoP?. Was this to make it more universally applicable?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

We're working with Mytek on this issue.

The Mytek WDM driver (used by WASAPI) doesn't support sample rate switches, making DoP not work well.  ASIO supports sample rate switching, but doesn't like how we're starting native DSD playback (using the call flow we agreed upon with Playback Designs).

Since ASIO supports native DSD (with ASIO v2.2), it seemed sloppy to me to support DoP over ASIO.  We may revisit this, depending on our pending conversations with Mytek.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pacwin

• Recent member

Since ASIO supports native DSD (with ASIO v2.2), it seemed sloppy to me to support DoP over ASIO.  We may revisit this, depending on our pending conversations with Mytek.

Thanks.

I see there is another thread on a similar topic. I can kind of see your point but PCM over ASIO is in my view sonically prefereable to other driver modes across various hardwares and ASIO is not designedly DSD specific. ASIO would be just as effective as WDM flavours as far as I can see. On the other hand with the Mytek, Firewire seems sonically preferable to USB and sample rate switches fine yet that ASIO driver has no DSD support yet. On the other hand USB is more versatile and more universal. The latest advice from Mytek over at Computer audiophile about the USBPAL driver for their Mytek dac is

"The main urgency and priority for us is the Rigisystems USB driver for Windows. We consider Mac version stable, but windows, especially seamless FS and format switching needs to be improved. I'm getting beta version for testing about once a week, while still waiting for the 100% corrected one. We now just got a version that we may consider posting in the next couple of days."

So all this may be resolved soon enough.

Any chance of moving the DSD options out of the Video bitstreaming and into the DSP Studio?
When Playing DSD over PCM JRiver has in its status bar "176.4Khz, 1 bit elapsed/total,  5644kbps" which would be better if it either said DSD over PCM or set the DAC sample rate relevanat to the other measures.?
At present the DSD and DSD over PCM options are both settable at the same time but they are efectively mutually exclusive. They need to toggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up