INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My PC died this morning  (Read 18472 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: My PC died this morning
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2012, 04:01:46 pm »

That's a pretty darn cool looking piece of hardware :)

It really is.

I already have one of the PCIe versions now (a bit older and less capable, but essentially the same thing).  It is ultra-reliable and captures beautiful video (makes my HD-PVR look like VHS by comparison).

I'm quite excited that I'll be able to do the same thing with my laptop now.  There is also a USB3 version now shipping, but it requires USB3 level bandwidth, so no running it on a USB2 port, or sharing the USB3 hub with a hard drive or anything like that.

Blackmagic Design knows what's what.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2012, 04:19:25 pm »

Don't read too much into the screenshot. I took it on a PC monitor (@60Hz) using MPC-HC :)

The important thing is how many frames were dropped/delayed due to madVR processing.

Wow thanks for testing, looks good!    ......so it may be worth the upgrade & great timing Shuttle just released the BIOS upgrade adding IVB support on my model but (and there is always a but), It was marked for "Rev 2 Motherboards Only" and after checking guess what I have!  Rev 1 - so I'm now waiting for a response from Tech Support to see if I can even support these CPUs
JRiver CEO Elect

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 08:42:23 pm »

So I appear to be up and running w/a cheap i5-2500K, awaiting IVB to arrive at Newegg.  This will do for now...

=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 3.690 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 2.439 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 1.931 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 1.235 seconds
Score: 2044

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 0.800 seconds
    Flood filling... 0.383 seconds
    Direct copying... 0.606 seconds
    Small renders... 1.244 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 0.852 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 0.730 seconds
Score: 4768

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 0.392 seconds
    Populate database... 1.202 seconds
    Save database... 0.151 seconds
    Reload database... 0.033 seconds
    Search database... 1.058 seconds
    Sort database... 1.016 seconds
    Group database... 0.713 seconds
Score: 4709

JRMark (version 17.0.134): 3840
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2012, 06:52:21 pm »

Here's an article with a nice set of links to sites covering Ivy Bridge:
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012042702_Ivy_Bridge_Performance_and_Overclocking_Overview.html

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2012, 06:53:56 pm »

Wow thanks for testing, looks good!    ......so it may be worth the upgrade & great timing Shuttle just released the BIOS upgrade adding IVB support on my model but (and there is always a but), It was marked for "Rev 2 Motherboards Only" and after checking guess what I have!  Rev 1 - so I'm now waiting for a response from Tech Support to see if I can even support these CPUs

Of course the answer from Tech Support was "no" :(
JRiver CEO Elect

MrC

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2012, 11:20:24 pm »

jmone - you are having a rough week.  Here's hoping next week will be a better one, and that your database recovery will be a full one.

JimH's post in another thread suggested that IVB chips were available, so I checked Newegg this morning, and sure enough, they were listed.  I ordered the i7-3770K, which should arrive on Wed / Thur.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2012, 11:39:17 pm »

Thanks - I'll figure I will just wait to Haswell (if I got the codename right)
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2012, 02:50:31 pm »

Man.... I think you guys jinxed me or something.  I think I'm getting an Ivy sooner than I'd thought, but replacing the "wrong" machine.

My server machine died last night.  I'm pretty sure it is the CPU...

[Saga]
It has been acting up on me for the past month or so, but it seemed quite random.  It would be fine all day doing its thing, recording TV and acting as a server.  But when I would come home and use it at night, I was having some instability.  It wouldn't bluescreen, but the video was just going black suddenly and the system's fans would all run full tilt.  Nothing of relevance was showing when in the system logs.  But, it typically only manifested when I was using a full screen VM, in MC's Theater View, or playing a 3D game.  But it also seemed to be "getting worse".  A month or two ago, the first I saw it happen, it happened once and then not again for a week or two.  This week, it has been pretty much any time I did anything "demanding" with the machine though (though it did manage to survive a 2.5 hour run of Prime95 last weekend).  And then, Wednesday night it did it when I wasn't doing anything fancy, just at the desktop in Firefox (on Interact, I suspect).

So for a while, I was convinced it was either my video card or my power supply.  After this week and the really bad behavior, I was more suspicious of the power supply, but also having a bit of worry about the CPU.  I actually brought home a replacement video card this weekend, and I was planning to swap both and test.  I'd fiddled with the drivers enough that I was pretty darn sure they weren't at fault.

Then, last night I got home a bit late and put the baby to bed and came down to the living room to watch TV.  I got about 5 minutes into an episode of The Daily Show, and it just froze.  MC was still responding (at first), I could seek and switch out of Full Screen, but the show stopped playing and eventually MC itself locked up.  Walked downstairs and the sever had a Kernel Stack Inpage Error (blue screen).  Ooh, hadn't seen any of those before.  Rebooted, it came back up okay, and then my wife came home and wanted to watch a show.  So I didn't have time to mess with it.  We got almost through one hour long episode of something, and it happened again (different bluescreen this time).  So we managed to finish the show and when I put her to bed, I came down to figure out what was going on.

Now, a little background.  When I first got this machine, I had it overclocked to 4.0GHz.  It was rock-solid stable at that speed (could Prime95 for 24 hours straight, and run a wide array of GPU tests/game benchmarks), but it was slightly over-volted.  It ran that way fine for about a year.  Then, I started to notice some slight oddness, and I ran additional stability tests and found problems.  So, I pulled out my notes on the system and found the speed I'd tested at stock voltage that was rock-solid stable and dropped back to that (3.75 GHz) and dropped back to stock vcore.  Unfortunately, I found I couldn't get it stable at that speed and vcore.  In fact, I found I had to go way back to 3.0-3.1 at stock vcore to get it as stable as I like.  But, with (as before) my slight voltage bump, 3.70-3.8GHz was perfectly fine as best as I could tell.  Worrying, but whatever, so I did that.

And, until about a month or two ago, it had been fine at those settings (I'd been testing it fairly regularly).

So, until last night, I had still been still more suspicious of the GPU than anything else.  The server doesn't do a lot of gaming or anything, so it was an older AMD 5770, and they ran hot, so it seemed like I might be getting up against the end of its useful life.  And that whole "screens going black thing, no error in the logs" seemed like a GPU crash or a driver crash (maybe power supply supplying flaky power to the GPU).  But these new bluescreens, and the crash just at the desktop with Firefox open, were much more worrying.  So, the first thing I did was run Prime95 on it to just kind of beat on it a bit while I said goodnight to my wife and cleaned up the disaster zone the child creates.

I came back down to check on it after about an hour, and she was locked right up solid.  No mouse movement, and the Process Explorer CPU history graph on screen was locked right up.  Bummer.  Shut her off and rebooted.  I decided to go into the BIOS and just reset back to the defaults.  I'd already (when the trouble really started) pulled the CPU back to 3.2GHz, but I didn't mess with anything else.  I figured I'd shoot back to the defaults, and then tweak things one at  a time.  I wanted to test with the CPU back at stock everything before I started testing the GPU and the power supply and everything.  So, load optimized defaults, go in and turn off the stupid graphics overlay and enable the right settings for my hard drives (or else Windows won't boot) and reboot.

And that was all she wrote.  Never came back alive, never passed POST again.  I tried, of course, everything from resetting the CMOS/pulling the battery, to removing all the add-in cards, trying not one but two different GPUs and Power Supplies.  Trying different RAM sticks and no RAM sticks at all (trying to get a no-RAM POST error beep code).  Nada.  Bupkus.
[/Saga]

So here's what I think happened... My CPU was burning out, slowly, probably from the over-volting, but maybe from heat?  I don't remember the exact amount I bumped up on the vcore now without looking, but I was well below what people regularly report online, only a tiny couple of notches.  I'm pretty conservative.  But, I don't monitor the heat as well as I should.  I have a very nice cooler, but the temps in the summer time in the basement can sometimes get pretty oppressive and I don't check it well then (and I think it was hot when I had those first problems way back in the day).  In any case, here near the end of the death process, I'm thinking it was my over-volting that was even allowing it to POST.  Once I reset the board back to defaults, it was no longer over-volting (except the little bit the board does in Auto-Mode), and so it won't POST (so I can't get it up long enough to get into the BIOS to tell it to over-volt again).  And, of course, we don't have DIP switches on the boards anymore, or complex jumper settings.

But... It could be, almost as likely, part of the power supply circuitry on the motherboard.  I don't think so.  I looked at it for busted caps and things like that, and found nothing.  No burning smell, and the BIOS had acted fine when I had used it the past few times.  And the system seems to be trying to boot, and trying different settings after I reset the CMOS as it should, but it can't.  But I have no way to tell without another socket 1156 CPU on-hand, which I don't have.  I called around to all of the local computer shops and none of them have any on hand either.

I could buy one, but since they're discontinued, if you want a new one, you're dealing with sketchy vendors or overpriced markup.  I can get a Core i7 870 on Amazon for $340, not prime, but... That's more than a brand new Ivy Bridge costs.  And that's a big risk to take if I don't know if my board is good or bad.  I could buy a cheap one, but the best I found for non-sketcy new 1156 CPUs was a crappy dual-core "Pentium" on Newegg for $110.  I don't want to use that CPU long-term, it would just be a test, and $110 is a lot for something going on the junk pile.

So, the only choice would be to go with something I'd want to use long-term, and that would (for the server) really need to be the Core i7 870, especially if I'm not going to overclock it.

So, I think I'm getting an Ivy.  I think what I'll do is grab a P8Z77-V Deluxe (since it is the server board, suddenly I care about that stuff a lot) and a Core i7 3770.  I'm not going with the 3770k because I'm not going to overclock this one again, and they're otherwise essentially the same, so why pay the extra $40.  Plus, the 3770k is sold-out everywhere now.

Then, I'm going to watch for a cheap Core i5 750 or 760, on eBay or something at my leisure and maybe I can get this thing going again lower-risk with a new CPU and use it to replace the HTPC (which I still want to do, but I can't afford to do both at the same time).  Playing with overclocking the "toy" HTPC is one thing... If it dies, I can hook up my laptop to the TV and carry on in a pinch.  But playing with the server is a bad idea.  I've not liked it for a long while, but I was cheap back when I bought the Lynnfield and the i5 was a bit slow if it wasn't overclocked (but it did that like a champ).   I don't think we'll do that on the server anymore...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2012, 02:59:49 pm »

PS.  If anyone has a spare, known-working Core i5/i7 Lynnfield chip lying around you're willing to part with, shoot me a PM right away.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2012, 05:25:26 pm »

Ordered my Ivy...  I luckily had some left-over Amazon gift cards.  Amazon actually had the same price as Newegg for the 3770, so that worked out.

I got:

Intel Core i7 3770 (non "k")
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard

I'll be using my existing RAM and other stuff, so that's all I needed.  I'll hold onto this board and see if I can come up with a Lynnfield replacement that doesn't break the bank.  If so, it'll go in the HTPC.

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2012, 08:18:58 pm »

I called Micro Center.  They said they didn't have any and didn't know when they would.

I stopped by MN Microcenter on 4/30 and they had i7-3770k for $289 so I  grabbed one.

MrC

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2012, 08:34:38 pm »

Sorry for the Jinx.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2012, 01:48:55 am »

Hm just read your server story Glynor, unfortunate and interesting at the same time.

Did you run coretemp/realtemp in logging mode so could see what was happening when you were not there? Did you run it during your video recordings when it would act up? Did you have an integrated video and were you using that? How hot would it run idle/normal/full load?

Did that chip/board support SpeedStep technology and was it enabled, or was it running at max speed all the time? And what about PLL/Overvoltage?

Sorry for the flood of questions but I'm very interested to know because you might be the victim of chip degradation due to the increased voltage and thermal output. Having some logging would help greatly in determining if that would be the case.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
Re: Re: Re: My PC died this morning
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2012, 08:41:11 am »

Ordered my Ivy...  I luckily had some left-over Amazon gift cards.  Amazon actually had the same price as Newegg for the 3770, so that worked out.

I got:

Intel Core i7 3770 (non "k")
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard

I'll be using my existing RAM and other stuff, so that's all I needed.  I'll hold onto this board and see if I can come up with a Lynnfield replacement that doesn't break the bank.  If so, it'll go in the HTPC.

That board rocks.  That's the one I got for my 3770k.  The first one they shipped to me was defective with 2 dead dimm slots but I got the replacement on Friday.  It is a really really fast machine.  Enjoy it!!  And make sure to do the BIOS update first thing.  Just stick it on a USB stick and upgrade it from the BIOS.  It'll make your life easier.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2012, 12:48:25 pm »

Hm just read your server story Glynor, unfortunate and interesting at the same time.

Did you run coretemp/realtemp in logging mode so could see what was happening when you were not there? Did you run it during your video recordings when it would act up?

Like I said... I didn't monitor temps as well as I should have.  That means, really at-all except during load testing.  In my current case (Corsair Obsidian 650D), it has been fine (peaking in the low 60's at full load), but I've only had that case since the holidays.  I don't run CoreTemp all the time, just when I'm testing.

Before that, my case situation was much more dire, though, and I don't have clear records.  When I discovered the initial issue, I remember that one core on the CPU was spiking in temps just before it would error out in Prime95 (usually 3-4 hours into testing).  I don't remember the exact temps, but I think it was in the low 70s, on only one core. This was all a long while ago though (I got the CPU in September 2009, so this was probably summer 2010).  I took a whole bunch of heat-related action then...  I rearranged the components in the computer, removed and consolidated some drives, cleaned up wiring and filters and everything, re-gooed and reseated the CPU's HSF (a big, honking Noctua tower), and added some additional case cooling fans.  (And, I started planning to replace the case when I had the money and found a good one.)  Once I'd done that stuff, it was fine.  It would idle in the low 40s and only barely break 60 after really running full-tilt for a good long time.

The situation improved even further once I got the Obsidian, but that was just recently.

To be clear though, until possibly this last week, I haven't had any problems with recordings or playback or anything.  In fact, the recordings it made Friday night just before dying are all fine.  The problems were all when I was actively using it.  The first time it happened, I happened to be playing a game (Mirror's Edge, actually).  And, like I said, then it didn't happen again for a couple weeks (even though I pushed on it a bit right afterwards).

While I didn't monitor my temps as well as I should have, I did have a fairly good stability testing regiment.

My backup scheme does checksumming and verification everywhere, and reports any issues, and I haven't seen any at all in years.  Since the initial problems where I had to tweak my overclock, I've been doing regular stability checks every month or two (it was in my calendar for every month, but I skip them sometimes).  My last thorough check was in late Feb, so I was due.  But back in Feb, it was still solid (Prime95 for 12-16 hours, followed by an OCCT stress test, and 3D Mark bench run).  That was probably a couple weeks before I first saw the "black screen" issue crop up (maybe mid-March).  After the black screen, I did another round of tests, though these were more focused on GPU and game testing.

The next handful of times I saw the crash was always when I was using my OSX Lion VM in Fullscreen dual-monitor mode.  They were sporadic, and I never saw them with other activities on the system.  Sometimes I could use the VM like that all day and it'd be fine.  And then the next day it would crash on me twice in an hour.  I was convinced something was flaky with either my GPU, my drivers, or maybe just using the weird, hacky OSX VM.  Like I mentioned, I don't play many games on the server, so most of my testing in that regard was just testing, but since that first one, I didn't see any further issues.  That's why it was deceiving... It really seemed to be limited to only certain types of uses.

Then, two or three weeks ago, I got a "black screens crash" when NOT in the VM.  I was in Theater View in MC (so, again, a full-screen GPU accelerated application) just navigating around.  That was when I decided to run Prime on it again.  I didn't have time to do a full test (I'd actually put that off till this weekend, and planned to bring home a spare GPU I had at the office), but I did put it through 2-4 hours or so of Prime without errors.  I was running CoreTemp then.  It was running a little hotter than before, but not much (considering clogged lint filters on the case).  It maxed out at 62-65C depending on the core just before I shut the test down, and then dropped back down to around 50C at idle.

It really wasn't until this past week that the situation switched from "odd and concerning, but sporadic and hard to diagnose" to "dire".  This past week, I had at least one "black screen crash" every day, sometimes 2 or 3.  Still, except that one crash on Wednesday night at the desktop, these all happened while either running a fullscreen 3D accelerated application, or while in VMWare fullscreen.  In fact, I did some testing where I'd run a Telestream Episode compression (an easy way to load down the OSX VM) with the VM "windowed" and it would run fine to completion.  I'd do the same thing fullscreen, and it would often only take 2-3 minutes before it would "black screen crash".  I really didn't have much time to play with it this week though.  I was trying to get work done.

So, again, it seemed to be GPU related.  And even that crash at the desktop, I had Firefox open.  Maybe Flash was doing something GPU related in a background thread?  That seemed less likely, and that's why I became very skeptical, but I still was focused on the GPU as the cause.  Like I said, I have a 5770 and they ran hot, and it was old, and blah, blah, blah.

Until I did that Reset to Optimized Defaults and rebooted and got no POST, I really didn't think it was likely to have been a CPU problem.  Possible, certainly, but that was pretty far down on my list of likely candidates.  I honestly expected it was a PSU problem.  My PSU is a nice one, but it is quite a few years old, and I thought it might have been running at a high-percentage of its max load for a long time.  But now I've tested with additional (and brand-new) PSUs, and it still won't POST, so I think we're beyond that.  The PSU seems to be stable on the voltage when not under load too.  I still think I might replace it with a new one, but since I just blew $550 I think I'll wait a bit.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2012, 02:22:42 pm »

Those CPU temperatures under load are not a problem at all, its just that I think the idle temps are high, which suggests you've disabled speedstep. Reading you've been conservative on the vcore with "just a couple of notches" I find it hard to believe your chip suffered from thermal and/or overvoltage degradation. The reason your fans max out is a safety measure btw. Your mobo "detects" the crash and maxes all the fans automatically.

Don't rule out the idea that you might have 2 issues too.

The reason I was so interested is that I read a lot about degradation and shortened lifespans on CPU's due to overclocking, but I've never read a real case of a chip dying prematurely, say within a few years, unless the overclock was really pushing the limits. I guess I sort of hoped (sorry I tried to find a better word :P) that yours was such a case.

I know you didn't ask and I know you know your stuff and all, but since I suspect you're disabling Speedstep, may I suggest you leave that on? Stability should not be an issue with Speedstep enabled under your circumstances. A convervative overclock is nice for the occasion a bit of speed is wanted, but 90% of the time its doing nothing. A CPU dropping to 1600MHz sucks a lot less power (mine sits at 14 watts) and generates a lot less heat. Might save you a couple of bucks on the electricity bill too ;).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2012, 02:50:28 pm »

I'm not going to overclock the new one at all, hence picking a non-k CPU.

I'll save my overclock playing for the HTPC for the future...  That's still on an old Q9550 (which has long-had a stable OC).  I'm going to try to RMA the CPU and see what happens.

I agree that those temps shouldn't be a problem.  The problems could have been, conceivably, back before I "fixed things".  I was running at 4.0GHz then and it was a bit fiddly to get it stable at that speed (and actually didn't work with SpeedStep enabled).  My long-term vcore was still pretty conservative, but it was higher than what I settled on after the intital problems (I wish I still had my recorded numbers, but I did it on paper then, now they're all in Dropbox, and the paper is long-gone now).  But, i also went higher than that even when doing initial setup and testing.  I wasn't monitoring the temps at all then either... So who knows?  Maybe it ran at 80c for a while under load before I noticed trouble 9-12 months in?

Plus, I got the i5 750 literally on launch day or soon after.  Maybe I just got a bit of a first-run dud?

It is certainly possible that I was seeing multiple issues.  Now that it won't POST it is hard to tell, but I tried:

Booting with two separate PSUs (one brand new and known working).
Three different GPUs (including one cheapo, low-end card).
A wide variety of different RAM configs, including no RAM at all (to see if I could get a no-RAM BIOS beep code, I couldn't).
Reseating the CPU.

Nothing changed.  Still no POST.  You can see the board doing its "fail safe" settings thing after clearing the CMOS (multiple little short boots followed by the last, failing attempt), so I suspect that the board is still okay, but without another compatible CPU, it is impossible to be sure.  I'm not getting any beep codes at all from the BIOS.

So.... We'll see.  If Intel RMAs my CPU, I'll have a replacement sooner rather than later.  Otherwise, I'll need to save my pennies and troll eBay I guess.

What'll be annoying now is getting the new system up and running.  I'm going to boot to my existing config (I hope it'll boot), and then migrate it to a VM as a backup before I clean install Windows.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2012, 09:49:48 am »

If you haven't, I'd check the Power Supply voltages. They can go whack or get flakey without blowing caps.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2012, 12:16:16 pm »

If you haven't, I'd check the Power Supply voltages. They can go whack or get flakey without blowing caps.

I did, though I don't have a tester that can apply a load.

In any case, I tried with two separate PSUs, so I don't think that's it.  Unless the PSU is acting up under load and killed the board, I suppose, but that doesn't seem likely.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2012, 12:23:41 pm »

I followed Glynor's advice and picked up the SBR i5-2500K for the interim while awaiting the shipment of the IVB.  If anyone needs a < 2week old i5-2500K...

No promises, but...

How much you want for it?

MrC

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2012, 02:09:50 pm »

PM'd.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2012, 12:36:43 am »

This is a little frustrating...  But in a good kind of way.

The new Ivy CPU came today, but the board won't be here until Thursday.  I'll be sure to post pics.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2012, 04:53:17 am »

Hehe. Don't worry, you'll still have the entire weekend to get frustrated over migration and installation issues.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2012, 06:55:54 am »

Hehe. Don't worry, you'll still have the entire weekend to get frustrated over migration and installation issues.

Hah!  I know.  ::)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2012, 10:16:23 am »

Hmmm... I've been thinking about it.  I wonder if it wasn't my memory vcore that might have killed it.  My older RAM sticks are, as is common, 1.65v DDR3.  I know that with Intel CPUs with integrated memory controllers that is the max that you're supposed to use, but I might have played with that more than I should have.  I don't know without getting the board to boot and checking out my saved BIOS settings though.

If I was running at 1.66-1.7v for a long while, think that could have caused the issue?  I don't think I was higher than 1.64-1.66v (my Gigabyte board doesn't let you select 1.65 on the nose) but my memory is hazy because whiskey.

Either way, we'll try to RMA it this weekend after we get the new Ivy board in, and see what happens.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2012, 06:30:03 pm »

My new motherboard came today.

Also, my basement flooded this morning.  We've lived here 7 years (and through much more torrential rain than we had this morning) and it never flooded.  Never even got any serious water in the basement at all, so we were totally unprepared for this.  I had three computers on the floor in my basement office/man-cave, including the firewall, my DMZ server, and my laptop (in my bag).

At least I caught it before I left for work (went down there to grab my laptop bag).  No computers killed, but a huge mess (and some furniture ruined, but it was all "basement furniture" which means it was less-important generally).  I only just now got the network back up (after blow-drying out the battery backup).

So... No playing with the new machine tonight either, probably.  Darn.  What a week, eh?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2012, 06:53:00 pm »

When it rains, it pours.  Good luck getting it all back up.

MrC

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2012, 09:10:33 pm »

Seeing water in your house is very traumatic.  Two years ago we saw our pond grow to encompass the patio, and then our den.  There were 5 separate waterfalls off the front retaining wall.  Fortunately, like you, we caught it just in time to move the rug, furniture, it electronics.  And we had it drying out within 24 hours.  It cost over $25k in clean-up and repairs.

Hang in there.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2012, 01:11:44 am »

Damn, good luck there.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2012, 03:01:35 am »

Sorry to hear of your woes. Hope it's not caused too much damage. 

SBR

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2012, 10:49:04 am »

Sorry to hear of your woes. Hope it's not caused too much damage.  

Thanks, guys.

It turned out not too bad, really.  The cleanup is mostly done.  Some drywall down there got wet, and might eventually need to be replaced, but the water never got deeper than around 3-4 inches in the worst spots (and that was all down at one end of the basement).  The water did cover pretty much the entire floor, but in my office area it was no deeper than one inch or so.  There was mud everywhere and it lifted the paint off of the floor (the previous owner painted the basement floor for some reason) so that was a pain to clean.  All in all though... It was obnoxious, but not a disaster.  Even if I replace the drywall that got wet, it probably won't be more than a grand or so of damage.  I don't know if I'll replace it.  It is a half-finished basement and the room that is the nicest (my office) got the least water.

I got lucky that I caught it, and discovered the cause quickly (a disconnected gutter outside that was pouring water right at the foundation).  It could have been much, much worse.  We also discovered that our basement drain is pretty much useless for anything more than a small puddle, and now we have a pump!

Just set me back a day on my system build, which was a bummer.  I got the case stripped down last night, though, and I'm ready to proceed tonight!  Wish me luck!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2012, 02:15:59 pm »

Good Luck!  :D

Glad to hear it turned out relatively good considering the circumstances.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2012, 02:51:26 am »

I'm posting this from the new machine.

Working pretty well.  I need to get some stuff sorted still, though.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2012, 10:53:18 am »

Did you get it all straightened out?  What a nightmare you went through.  Makes the bad board I had and the SSD bracket problem I ran into seem small in comparison.  Yikes.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2012, 02:57:39 pm »

Did you get it all straightened out?

Pretty much.  I'm waiting for a new PSU.  After testing with the new board over the weekend, I bought a SeaSonic.  I've had enough of crappy PSUs.

It is running on an Antec ECO Green 400w PSU right now, which is a bit under-powered for the full rig at load.  It has been stable, but I can't get the sides of my case on because it doesn't have the right plugs and I have to rig it all weird.

My old OCZ PSU was testing fine, but the 3.3v rail was drooping under load down below 3v.  It was still within the Intel spec, but... I don't know, between the failure and everything, I decided it was worth pulling it and sending it to the dump.  I bought it way back in the day when I got my first-ever Athlon 64 CPU and X1900XT GPU.  I think it is cool to retire it after that lifespan.  ;)

I'm also having trouble with the Marvel onboard SATA 6G ports, which BSODs when I hot-swap a drive connected to them (if you troll the ASUS forums, this seems common, and the refrain is usually "don't use the Marvel SATA ports").  That's a bummer because I wanted to use those ports with my Obsidian 650D's top SATA drive dock.  Now I need to rearrange a bunch of wiring.

Other than that, though, it is running rock-solid.  Boots much faster than the old system, and is running great.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2012, 04:10:01 pm »

Very nice!  I'm glad you've got a kick butt working system now after all the stuff you went through.  I just finished my machine last week with a Vertex 4 256 gb SSD and an ASUS GTX 680.  That machine is just unbelievable.  I haven't tried hot swapping on the marvel SATA ports although I know I'm using them for at least one of the drives.  Hopefully they'll come up with a firmware fix for your issue there.  Good times!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up