INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can predict the future! (see pictures to prove it)  (Read 3514 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
I can predict the future! (see pictures to prove it)
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:05:12 am »

I live about 7 minutes from an off leash dog park that has dozens of miles of trails on about 220 acres.  It's also a big bicyclist destination, and on spring and fall weekends, there will be hundreds of people all over the trails.  I've been going here 3-4 times/week for about 4 years.

Every time I walk along the creek at Walnut Creek dog park, I walk (or sometimes sit) under the big limestone overhang and think; "someday, this will all fall to the ground I'm standing on"

See, I knew it!!  I... predicted it  :o

Notice the sheer dirt wall it left along the top of the ridge, almost as if it was cut with a knife!  It's about 10 feet deep/thick, then about 20 feet of limestone below that, give or take.  Guess how tall this pile of giant rocks is...   Yes, you can see below that Jackson and Alfie climbed it :)

It blocked off the entire creek, which is about 15 feet wide normally.  Below you can see how little water is left on the other side.  The trees you see on the left, piled several feet high in dirt, are actually many of the trees from the top of the ridge, before it fell, they just haven't started to turn brown yet.  These photos were taken about 6 hours or so after this happened.

In the photo below, in the center, you can see some black spots, almost in vertical lines.  If you zoom in slowly, you'll see the marks better and realize they are on the sheer face of the wall where the rock sitting at the 45 degree angle to the left just 'broke off' from the rest of the wall.  The section of wall that you can see the marks on is about 10-12 feet deep/thick.  This is basically where I was sitting in the first photo.  Can you imagine how loud that was!?

The dogs below help show the scale.

I figure it's about 80-100 linear feet of cliff that all dropped at once today.

If this had happened 48 hours earlier, there would have been from 4 to 40 people where this came down, some with a long way to run in any direction if they acted immediately.  As far as I know, no one was hurt, but how would you know this soon?
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: I can predict the future! (see pictures to prove it)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 06:54:51 pm »

Holy Macaroni!  I'm glad you weren't there.

Wish you were still in Omaha?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:09:24 pm »

Holy Macaroni!  I'm glad you weren't there.

+100

Is it Walnut Creek, California?

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 08:15:45 pm »

+100

Is it Walnut Creek, California?

Rod
I think it's near Austin, TX.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 09:56:51 pm »

It's in Austin, TX, and I'm also glad I wasn't right there when it happened either.  But, I REALLY would have liked to seen it come down!!  I've thought about it so many times over the years, but I pretty much always thought it'd happen slowly.  I never really thought 100 ft of cliff would all just break off like that.  And not due to any extreme weather!

The local news said the local parks and recreation department was going to investigate why it collapsed.  I'm going to email them the first photo, and save them some time.  Just look how much weight is over my head!  Gravity, like Death, always gets theirs in the end.

Now I'm thinking about all the marks the machinery will leave behind when it cleans up.  It was pretty natural, considering the vast amount of traffic it saw.  Oh well, life moves on.
pretend this is something funny

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:53:01 am »

Yikes!

"See what sending out them negative waves did, Moriarty?"
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up