INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: Matroska chapter tags/shuffling  (Read 1544 times)

Enno

Feature request: Matroska chapter tags/shuffling
« on: April 26, 2012, 12:01:34 pm »

I have just discovered Media Center 17 and can't believe that I didn't know such a great program until now. I am currently using foobar2000 for my large music collection but I have always regretted that foobar2000 is not able to let me view my increasing number of music videos. Media Center seems right what I was always searching for except one little thing:

I have my music videos all converted to Matroska (mkv). Most of them are live concerts in a single file divided into chapters for each individual piece.

Despite not being able to play the video tracks, foobar2000 can play the audio tracks of the mkv files and - even more - it can tag the chapters with custom tags, which allows me to define for each chapter the title of the work, the composer, year of composition, genre etc., similar to ID3 or APE tags. All these tags are stored in the mkv files but also included in foobar2000's database and therefore they can be searched for. This means, foobar2000's database doesn't make any difference between audio files and mkv chapters. At the same time it is possible to shuffle not only through the audio files, but through the video chapters as well.

As far as I understand, Media Center 17 is only able to store tags per mkv file. With a complete concert video this doesn't make much sense, because composer names, titles, genres etc. can vary from piece to piece. Also it seems I can add an mkv file to the shuffle playlist, but then Media Center will play the entire video instead of a single chapter.

Is it planned to add this feature to Media Center? Or is it already included and I haven't found it yet?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature request: Matroska chapter tags/shuffling
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:04:44 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  You might find "Particles" worth a look.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature request: Matroska chapter tags/shuffling
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:05:53 pm »

Sounds like an awesome feature. I wonder if MC could be made to autocreate (upon selection of the feature) "Particles" from pre-existing chapters in mkv files?
Pages: [1]   Go Up