INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW FEATURE: Tag Pasting  (Read 19237 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
NEW FEATURE: Tag Pasting
« on: April 26, 2012, 05:12:12 pm »

I like the Paste Tags (Ctrl+Shift+V) idea.

If one file was on the clipboard, it would paste the same values to everything in the destination.

If multiple files were on the clipboard, it would paste sequentially (and the source and destination would have to be the same number of files).

The dialog would offer a list of fields and a 'no overwrite' option like Alex suggested.

I think this is only a couple hours of work, so I'll see if I can sneak it in sometime.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Tag Pasting
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 05:38:51 pm »

I think this is only a couple hours of work, so I'll see if I can sneak it in sometime.

Awesome!  Cupcakes to follow?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rjm

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:54:03 pm »

Awesome!  Cupcakes to follow?
I'll contribute to the cupcakes. Let me know where to send my contribution.

Matt,

If in addition to copying tags from a file there was a way to pick from a list of pre-configured tag patterns (eg. audiobook, music album, TV series, movie, etc.), then the same paste function could be used for both items being added to a collection, and new items that don't yet belong to a collection. This solution would improve productivity for all tagging scenarios.

Perhaps the existing auto-import apply tags feature could use these named patterns and thus become a little friendlier to use and easier to maintain. For example, you could monitor multiple directories for new TV episodes, but only have to define the tags for a TV series once.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 05:23:33 pm »

17.0.140 (4/27/2012)

1. NEW: Added Paste Tags feature (Ctrl+Shift+V).

If this is an implementation of this:

Copy / Paste Tags
1) Select a file and copy it (Ctrl+C)
2) Select any other files and do 'Paste Tags' (Ctrl+Shift+V)
3) It would show a popup asking what fields you want to paste (and remember your selection for next time)

Then that is exceedingly awesome!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 05:26:24 pm »

1. NEW: Added Paste Tags feature (Ctrl+Shift+V).

:o :o :o

Does it paste all tags, or show a dialog where you can pick which to paste?  Or do you have to have the tag "edited" (an input control selected) and it just pastes one at a time?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 05:32:18 pm »

Wow, this is nice!

Does it paste all tags, or show a dialog where you can pick which to paste?  Or do you have to have the tag "edited" (an input control selected) and it just pastes one at a time?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 05:35:20 pm »

:o

Wow. I love MC even more today.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 05:53:51 pm »

The list of available tags comes from the source files.  In other words, fields aren't shown when there would be nothing to copy.

I think this same idea should be extended to find & replace, move & copy fields, etc.  There are just so many fields that it's really tough to navigate a list of all of them.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 05:55:07 pm »

The list of available tags comes from the source files.  In other words, fields aren't shown when there would be nothing to copy.

I think this same idea should be extended to find & replace, move & copy fields, etc.  There are just so many fields that it's really tough to navigate a list of all of them.

Yes please
pretend this is something funny

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 06:14:47 pm »

This is really sweet! Good idea.

I think this same idea should be extended to find & replace, move & copy fields, etc.  There are just so many fields that it's really tough to navigate a list of all of them.
You're thinking of removing tags with no values from the tool? If so, yes.

If multiple files were on the clipboard, it would paste sequentially (and the source and destination would have to be the same number of files).
Does THIS work? That would potentially simplify soooo much when replacing music. I'll test it later on. I have a folder with hundreds of GB with flack laying in a folder, just waiting to replace some MP3's. I have just frozen completely each time I've thought about the work involved in preserving all the tags and replacing the media. This can potentially save me very many hours of work.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 06:17:28 pm »

I tried to trace the origin of the idea back.  I think rjm had part of it, but it looks like it was a little bit of a collaboration.  Whoever did it, Thanks!

rjm

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 07:19:42 pm »

I was pushing for fewer clicks to tag, but I think Matt proposed copy/paste as a nice way to solve the problem.

Thank you very much!

Jim, can you or someone on your team pm with info on best way to get you cupcakes?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 07:29:29 pm »

I thought I had invented the idea, then AlexB reminded me he suggested it back in 2006!
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=37598.msg257249#msg257249

This same thing happened a while back with mojave:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71218

So I subconsciously stole both of those.

However, I would like to claim the full invention rights for the word submersive.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 07:30:51 pm »

Does THIS work? That would potentially simplify soooo much when replacing music. I'll test it later on. I have a folder with hundreds of GB with flack laying in a folder, just waiting to replace some MP3's. I have just frozen completely each time I've thought about the work involved in preserving all the tags and replacing the media. This can potentially save me very many hours of work.

I just tested this with Pink Floyd's Ummagumma. I copied all tags from my old MP3 files to untagged new lossless files. It worked fine. See the attached screenshots.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rjm

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 07:31:03 pm »

I claim Patterns if you ever implement them.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 07:58:52 pm »

It worked fine.

Though, as you can see, cover art is not included.

EDIT

Implementing cover art support would probably be a bit complicated. MC would need to be able to handle several different situations:

- Embedded cover art: copy it to the destination files
- External cover art in a separate cover art folder: copy just the link
- External sidecar cover art when the source and destination files are in the same folder: copy just the link
- External sidecar cover art when the source and destination files are not in the same folder: copy the external image file to the destination folder and create a new link.

If implemented, it should be optional. The destination files may already have better cover art than the source files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rjm

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 08:19:03 pm »

Just want to say that 2 hours of Matt's efforts for copy/paste is going to save a gazillion hours of tagging time for your customers.

That's what I call leverage!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: NEW FEATURE: Tag Pasting
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 09:14:54 pm »

This looks perfect.

Wow.  Nice job.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rjm

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 10:34:29 pm »

You know I'm thinking we don't need a tag patterns feature.

I am going to create a directory with one dummy file for every media type (music, movie, TV, audiobook, book, etc.) and I am going to tag each of these files with the pattern I use for that media type. Then I am going to open that folder in Drives and Devices and leave it permanently open in a tab. When tagging a new file I will pop back to that tab, copy the appropriate file, go back to my tagging tab, and paste. Achieves the same thing as a tag patterns feature with no extra work for JRiver.

And I just checked, a copy one and paste to many works so we are good to go.

MrC

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 11:01:04 pm »

An idea instead of using Explorer.

How about creating a Playlist called Copy Tags, which you use as your set of files for which you want to copy files.

Create a smartlist which includes your template file (name it something like template.flac) and also includes your Copy Tags playlist.  Set the rules to use OR.

([Filename (name)]=[template.flac] or playlistid==901285522)

Now you can go to the smartlist and your template is already there.

To change templates, just edit/change the suffix in the smartlist (e.g. template.jpg) and send the files to the Copy Tags playlist, replacing its contents.

Keep this Smartlist open in a tab.  This benefits from not having to run auto-import.

Of course, you could do this via Search too, but you'll need to know how to select the files that are possibly untagged (such as by using Date Imported):

[Date Imported]=<=1h or [Filename (name)]=[template.flac]

rjm

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 11:47:18 pm »

An idea instead of using Explorer.

Hmm... I'm sure this is a good idea but I studied it for 10 minutes and still don't understand it. Maybe our scenarios are different. I do not use auto-import and I do not permit any file into my library unless it is properly tagged. When I want to add some files I put them in a WIP folder, navigate to them in Explorer, manually import them, tag them, and then rename and move them to their proper location. By copying and pasting tags from a template file for that media type I can save a lot of tagging clicks.

MrC

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 11:56:11 pm »

I see; we have opposite workflows (I just auto-import and tag in MC).  Never mind then.

rjm

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 12:01:42 am »

I'll bet lots more people do it your way so I'm sure your idea won't go to waste.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 01:09:20 am »

This is awesome!

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 01:26:32 am »

Hmm... I'm sure this is a good idea but I studied it for 10 minutes and still don't understand it. Maybe our scenarios are different. I do not use auto-import and I do not permit any file into my library unless it is properly tagged. When I want to add some files I put them in a WIP folder, navigate to them in Explorer, manually import them, tag them, and then rename and move them to their proper location. By copying and pasting tags from a template file for that media type I can save a lot of tagging clicks.

+1

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 01:27:51 am »

Thanks!  :)
One step less to do in foobar2000. Only Discogs and lyrics search left..

I was also there in 2006 :)

)p(

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 03:11:27 am »

Thanks this one I will use...a lot!

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 04:15:17 am »

nice matt  :)
MT5FR

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 07:44:37 am »

this is freakin awesome  ;D

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 01:19:12 pm »

I tried to trace the origin of the idea back.  I think rjm had part of it, but it looks like it was a little bit of a collaboration.  Whoever did it, Thanks!

Well, I think I'm going to take part of the credit since I actually implemented it in 2007 with Quix Tag Cloner:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38341.new;topicseen#new

You're welcome  ;)

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 01:32:18 pm »

I'm loving this. So easy to tag album art also using audio tracks meta data.

rjm

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 01:36:01 pm »

Didn't Bill Gates invent copy/paste?

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 03:43:06 pm »

Didn't Bill Gates invent copy/paste?

No!, Al Gore did, after all, he invented the internet  ::)

MusicHawk

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 05:23:37 pm »

For the purpose of replacing the media file (typically upgrading to higher quality, such as replacing mp3 with flac) it would be a huge help to also copy the cover art file path. Otherwise it's a clumsy additional step.

Alex B (below) notes there are different situations, and handling an embedded image or evaluating external image files might be complex.

But it seems simple to handle the straightforward situation of cover art in an external file. Copy an external cover art path in the same way as other field values in these two situations:

- External sidecar cover art when the source and destination files are in the same folder: copy just the link

Allow the same decision control as when pasting any other value into the new record.

Though, as you can see, cover art is not included.

Implementing cover art support would probably be a bit complicated. MC would need to be able to handle several different situations:

- Embedded cover art: copy it to the destination files
- External sidecar cover art when the source and destination files are not in the same folder: copy the external image file to the destination folder and create a new link.

If implemented, it should be optional. The destination files may already have better cover art than the source files.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

MrC

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 05:28:31 pm »

Don't forget there is read-only media such as CDs.  If you copy tags from ripped audio, and cover art is located next to the files, what should be done w/the [Image File] tag when pasting tags to the .cda tracks?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 05:58:57 pm »

Holy c-r-a-p....this is unbelievable.

I quite frequently "upgrade" album in the main library with better copies, better masterings etc...plus all my unique chart data (which takes tons of time to replicate)...now with a couple of keyboard shortcuts I can copy the entire tag layout from an existing album to the new one (as long as the track listing is identical) in mere seconds.

This is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long while.

Wow.

VP

MrHaugen

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 06:36:38 pm »

Replacing low quality albums works almost like expected. The things missing are the Cover art, as mentioned. I'm not sure how this should be handled though. Most of my covers are of good quality, and the covers in the replacing folder is not always as good. So it would be great with an option to copy the art and overwrite.

I also notice that Number Plays are not copied. Logical enough, but when you replace half of your music collection played over the last 10 years, you kind of want to keep this because of history and smart list rules etc. Only way I see doing this now is with expression field to update the numbers, and to do this somewhat manually.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 08:16:41 pm »

I also notice that Number Plays are not copied. Logical enough, but when you replace half of your music collection played over the last 10 years, you kind of want to keep this because of history and smart list rules etc.

+1

. . . and YES this is an awesome addition to the MC toolbox
. . . the game is rigged

MrHaugen

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 02:55:21 pm »

I've tried a couple of albums now, and this function works very well. But I'm having problem continuing because of the Number Plays data not being copied. It really breaks my heart to loose this data that I have used so many years to accumulate. Could you please consider it as an optional selectable field for the copy paste function? If not, I'm afraid I have to jump trough hoops to renew my library.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 03:20:33 pm »

Replacing low quality albums works almost like expected. The things missing are the Cover art, as mentioned. I'm not sure how this should be handled though. Most of my covers are of good quality, and the covers in the replacing folder is not always as good. So it would be great with an option to copy the art and overwrite.

I kind of noticed this thread and am joining as I am confused by this comment and why one would necessarily want to use copy/paste for replacing low quality albums.  I do this all the time and don't have a need (that I know of) for copy/paste of tags.  I just make sure the filenames are the same and I overwrite the files.  Then I update tags from the library and then update the library from tags.  Finally, I do an audio analyze update.  This sounds a bit complicated, but I think it might be simpler than what I am imagining here.  Am I missing something (Usually I am, especially when it comes to the experience you guys have). 
John

MrHaugen

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 03:37:04 pm »

First of, the files go from MP3 to flack. In most cases. So it's not so easy as to just replace the files. And if you could do that, you could bet your ass that they would have some differences. In my case I always rename the files with Track number - Artist - Name. And this is not always the syntax on the new files. Just with this job, I would probably look at twice time spent on replacing the files.

But yes, you're right that the method you describe has a few advantages. It will keep certain tags like Number Plays.

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 06:44:30 pm »

Excellent Tag Pasting, but for me dont work correctly: dont paste genre. Why?

Fabricio from Brazil.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 12:59:59 pm »

This is excellent stuff.

Saves me some RSI.

Domi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2012, 01:53:55 pm »

I really love this feature... :)

Actually I'm ripping my SACDs into DSF files and I now I can tag these files just copying and pasting tags from existant flac files. :)

Excellent!!!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 04:14:38 pm »

Just want to say that 2 hours of Matt's efforts for copy/paste is going to save a gazillion hours of tagging time for your customers.

That's what I call leverage!

Two hours? Matt's subconscious has been working on this for 8 years!

Matt: "I thought I had invented the idea, then AlexB reminded me he suggested it back in 2006!"

rjm

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 04:37:30 pm »

In addition to cover art and play stats, another item not preserved by copy/paste is playlists. I use playlists to keep track of items queued to play, items on my 'pick' list, and items I want to share. I'm not asking for a enhancement, just reminding myself and others that playlists are not preserved.

rick.ca

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 06:41:27 pm »

I believe most of us were hoping for a feature that would physically replace the files for an album with a new set, leaving the records unchanged. That would leave all library data intact, including play stats, cover art and playlist references. The matching could be done by track number rather than number of files (it wouldn't really matter if the source was a complete album). A function that did only that would be a big help, even if left it to the user to manually update tags and media info, analyze the new files and delete the old. It would be wonderful if it would do all of that automatically.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012, 07:52:06 pm »

Excellent Tag Pasting, but for me dont work correctly: dont paste genre. Why?

Fabricio from Brazil.

Yes, I agree; we need this to be added.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2012, 09:26:03 pm »

Yes, I agree; we need this to be added.

Genre works without issues over here. Sure you have Genre checked in the Paste Tag Window - or actually have a value in the Genre field?

VP

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 05:07:12 am »

Genre works without issues over here. Sure you have Genre checked in the Paste Tag Window - or actually have a value in the Genre field?

VP

Genre is enabled but not working. Dont paste.

Fabricio, from Brazil.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up