INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't play through MC17 to Denon 2312  (Read 3846 times)

sakendrick

• Recent member
Can't play through MC17 to Denon 2312
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:17:03 pm »

OK about 6 months ago I trialed MC16 and got everything pretty much working.  At the time I decided not to buy.  Well I just bought MC 17 and now can't get basic stuff to work.

My server sits on a win7 machine in my office.  I have a win7 laptop as well that I want to use as the controller (?).  I can play songs from my office on my lap top.  But when I try to play there to my Denon 2312, nothing happens.  The Denon turns on but the player on my laptop never starts playing the file.  I check Playing Now and it shows the songs in my play list/queue but the player won't play.  If I hit pause/stop, nothing happens.  Can't play.

This use to work with the trial version of MC16.

Any suggestions on what to do now?  Not even sure where to start, what to search for.

sakendrick

• Recent member
Re: Can't play through MC17 to Denon 2312
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 11:11:35 pm »

Just a little more info on things I've tried
- enabling DLNAExtras (no luck)
- Convert Always (no luck)
- Convert Never (no luck)
- Sample Rate 48,000 hz (no luck(

I can use my denon to pull music from the server - played no problem.  Just can't push tunes to it (and yet I use to be able to with MC16 - same computer, same renderer).

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:16:31 pm »

Any suggestions?  Anyway to contact JRiver support? I've tried everything and since it looks like I can't get this to work with my hardware, I'm going to have to try to get a refund. Not want i want to do but I can't use it for what I purchased it for (and had tested with the trial).

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 10:36:47 pm »

Bob of JRiver is the DLNA guy, and he's very good at responding, so give him (or anyone at JRiver) until Monday to answer.  It is the weekend after all.

You have all the DLNA Server/Renderer/Controller settings enabled?

Unfortunately DLNA implementations apparently vary quite a bit, hence all the options you see.  This may just be a case where your device needs some combination of options.

What Encoder settings did you try when you used Always Convert?

I don't know when the MC server needs to be restarted after changing options; so be safe, change an option and restart MC.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:11:21 am »

It's working!!  I must have run through all the configs, but i think the issue was what you suggested - not restarting the server something didn't take.  i'm afraid to even look at it in case it stops but I think right now I have it MP3 high bandwidth, always convert.

Thanks a ton! 

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 12:29:25 am »

Yea... I spoke to soon.  It works half of the time, and half the time the same error.  One thing it seems to have troubles with is waking up the Denon.  If I already have the Denon powered on, I got it to work a few times.  If the Denon is in network standby mode, it turns the denon on as it should, but then gives the same error I've been getting.  Once that happens - I can't get it to play.  Likely have to restart the server.

I'm closer I guess   :-\

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 12:37:07 am »

and now it doesn't work at all... I made zero changes to settings.  It just won't work whether the denon is already on or not - same error as before.  Will try again tomorrow.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 01:00:45 am »

Maybe you'll be asked to provide a wireshark capture next week.

I have the same trouble with my Squeezebox's - if they are in standby mode, issuing a Play command in MC will wake them up, but playback times out, and playback advances to the next track.

Maybe your Denon is getting wedged.  Check for firmware upgrades if the unit supports updating.

Do you know which audio formats the Denon supports?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 08:07:40 am »

The firmware was just upgraded, last week.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, I can use the Denon interface, and pull these same files from the MC server.  Just can't push them using the MC interface as the controller.  And all of this worked with MC16 trial.  Willing to try anything though - but in terms of file compatability etc this use to work.  Wondering if the Denon firmware upgrade has created challenges - or MC17 - but can't explain why for a brief moment last night it worked perfectly and now I'm dead in the water.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 09:15:20 am »

Have you tested with MC16 recently your recent firmware update may have broken it in MC16 also.
Knowing this will help with the process since if MC16 now longer works we will know that it is not
due to a change in MC17 but more likely something with the firmware update.
This assumes you didn't update firmware trying to fix the problem.
Regardless you should retest with MC16 to help narrow the process down.
Sean

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 07:58:11 am »

HOw would I get the MC16 download?  And will my license key work with it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 08:41:43 am »

MC16 will work with an MC17 license.  There are links to old versions on our wiki, our FAQ, and the Download Page.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 10:10:58 am »

How would I get the MC16 download?  And will my license key work with it?
What build of MC 17 are you using? Changes to the MC DLNA code occur pretty much continuously (there are a lot of challenging renderers).

As stated above, it makes sense to try to see if your Denon still works with MC 16 after getting the firmware upgrade.
Also, what format is your music in? The default template uses convert unsupported to mp3. That should work for any renderer unless you have some unusual sample rates.

When you right click on the Denon under playing now there are some DLNA controller options you might want to try.
First try disabling the SetNext support.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 12:47:26 pm »

The files are all Mp3 or WMA - WMA are 160 or higher, but should be normal bitrates.  All which play fine through the Denon - just can't push to it using MC.

I'm using build 17.0.122. 

I will double check those renderer settings.  At some point I have tried disabling them but will try again and report back.

Thanks for the suggestions

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 12:55:44 pm »

I'd try switching to the "latest" update channel which has version 17.0.144. There are a lot of DLNA controller changes between your stable version and that latest version.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 05:22:50 pm »

unfortunately no luck with either MC16 or build 144 of MC17.  Of course there's still a chance I havent' found the magic combination of settings but tried many of the suggestions.  It may very well be the denon firmware upgrade - are there any suggestions on how to test this further or is it possible to process a refund if I can't use the software?

Thanks

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 08:20:55 pm »

question - are there windows 7 streaming options that should be configured for MC to work?  I've tried all already, but I'm curious what the settings are supposed to be.  Should I have streaming on, or does that only configure settings for Windows Media player streaming, and MC handles it's own streaming?

spent hours and hours on this...  :'(

sakendrick

• Recent member
Wireshark >> Re: Can't play through MC17 to Denon 2312
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 10:14:29 pm »

I've tried using two different PCs as servers.  One is a laptop, the other is a desltop.  I captured info about the IP address of the PC and the Denon in the attached wireshark captures.  Hoping this will help someone diagnose my issues. Let me know if there is other information I can provide. I've tried a lot of different things - not sure which settings I had for each of these captures but I can look them up if required.  A couple points to note regarding the denon

- I can browse to the MC media server with the denon and play files
- I can push files from my HTC windows phone to the denon through the DLNA app and play on my denon (i.e. I am able to control it using other devices)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 10:09:00 am »

question - are there windows 7 streaming options that should be configured for MC to work?  I've tried all already, but I'm curious what the settings are supposed to be.  Should I have streaming on, or does that only configure settings for Windows Media player streaming, and MC handles it's own streaming?

spent hours and hours on this...  :'(
No. You don't need Windows media player or WMP streaming.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 10:22:04 am »

question - are there windows 7 streaming options that should be configured for MC to work?  I've tried all already, but I'm curious what the settings are supposed to be.  Should I have streaming on, or does that only configure settings for Windows Media player streaming, and MC handles it's own streaming?

spent hours and hours on this...  :'(
I'm sorry you are having trouble.
I'll check your wireshark trace.
In the meantime, would you please try the following:
Power-cycle the Denon.
in MC Under Tools->Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA servers
you should have only one server, Generic DLNA.
Under Advanced, Check (enable), DLNA, DLNAExtra and file logging.
Under Audio Conversion for testing purposes, set it to never convert.
Confirm the changes.
Where the Denon zone appears in the Playing Now tree on the left, right click on the Denon zone.
Under DLNA controller options, Check (enable) both options (disable SetNext support and Ignore Transport Events).
Find an mp3 in your library.
Right-click on it and do send-to->play->your Denon player name->play

Now it's always possible that the firmware update messed it up. Though WMP might be able to play to it, it could be using Windows Media Connect protocol instead of DLNA for that.
There is a certificate for it at DLNA.ORG http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG32251542.pdf that says it ought to be able to be pushed to with mp3, simple wma and LPCM.

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 08:07:27 pm »

Wow - it's working!  :D Not only is it working for mp3s but also my WMAs.  I can't be certain whether I tried that exact combination of options, but I definitely never tried the Log File Requests - although not sure that could be the difference.

My other question is - when do I run the server vs. just MC?  I assumed I had to run server to stream, so I would always start that, then start up the MC client.  This time I just started MC - I'm guessing it runs server anyways?

Hoping this continues to work consistently - so far so good.  I have successfully used MC as a controller on my client to send music from my desktop PC, and also used Gizmo on my phone.

Thanks a bunch for getting back to me with those recommendations!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:24 am »

Wow - it's working!  :D Not only is it working for mp3s but also my WMAs.  I can't be certain whether I tried that exact combination of options, but I definitely never tried the Log File Requests - although not sure that could be the difference.
Glad to hear it's working!
My other question is - when do I run the server vs. just MC?  I assumed I had to run server to stream, so I would always start that, then start up the MC client.  This time I just started MC - I'm guessing it runs server anyways?
When you start MC in it's normal (client) mode the DLNA server is started as well (in technical jargon, it's a user mode server).
Pages: [1]   Go Up