INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to download video files from MC17 server?  (Read 1984 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
how to download video files from MC17 server?
« on: May 06, 2012, 11:41:47 am »

Hi,

I am currently traveling and away from my MC17 server PC. On my MC17 client (laptop), I would like to download some of the videos from the server so that I can watch these videos while in a plane without internet connection.

Is this possible? How?

Thanks,
Osho

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
Re: how to download video files from MC17 server?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 12:19:40 pm »

You can get the file by using the MCWS service if you know your WAN IP replace bolded items with your respective entries.

http://YOUR_IP:PORT/MCWS/v1/File/GetFile?File=FILE_KEY&FileType=Key

The easiest way to determine the file key for given file is to open WebGizmo and navigate to the desired file and when you hover over the item you will see something like below the bolded part being the file key
localhost:52199/Gizmo/play_flash.html?File=428386&Token=w4nzxQtV
Sean

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 01:07:47 pm »

You can get the file by using the MCWS service if you know your WAN IP replace bolded items with your respective entries.

http://YOUR_IP:PORT/MCWS/v1/File/GetFile?File=FILE_KEY&FileType=Key

The easiest way to determine the file key for given file is to open WebGizmo and navigate to the desired file and when you hover over the item you will see something like below the bolded part being the file key
localhost:52199/Gizmo/play_flash.html?File=428386&Token=w4nzxQtV

Thanks Scolex. This will work for now.

However, I think it would be a good idea to be able to right-click on a video file inside MC17 client and say, "save locally for later playback". This should just do this and would be a really cool and distinguishing feature of MC17 server/client capability.

Thanks,
Osho

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 07:20:13 pm »

+1

never thought of this feature great idea Osho!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 11:28:23 pm »

+1

And it should add it to a smartlist (add a tag, [offline cached] or something) to make it easy to later remove them from the offline cache and free the local drive space.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 03:26:34 am »

is it not possible to do this by using a "local handheld" ?
MT5FR

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 07:43:04 am »

is it not possible to do this by using a "local handheld" ?

Yes, you could, but it would be difficult to use if you wanted to actually use MC to PLAY the media while you are "away from the server connection".  You'd essentially need to make a new, separate MC library, and import those files in the "local handheld" back into MC.  That means you don't have the same library and don't keep tracking things like number of plays and other library changes.

I'm thinking (and I think Osho was suggesting in a roundabout way), that it would be cool if MC could run a client copy of MC in "offline mode".  So, imagine this:

You're going away on a trip.  You open up the laptop before you leave and connect to your server, and sync a bunch of movies/music to the Offline Cache.  Then, you leave and take your laptop with you.  You "connect" to the "server" again while you are in the car (to entertain the children, maybe), but you have no network connection so MC goes into "offline mode" using the last cached copy of the library that it has, and only using the files you'd previously synced over to the laptop.

When you get to the airport where there is WiFi, MC can reconnect and sync Library changes back (like number of plays and whatnot), and maybe you even sync some new content before you get on the plane.  And so on and so forth until you get back from your trip.

That would be an awesome feature for MC18.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 07:48:44 am »

sounds cool glynor, lets hope  :)
MT5FR

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 11:48:31 am »

Glynor elaborated exactly what I was thinking. Thanks.

Osho

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 01:26:44 pm »

perhaps also this...

...using Gizmo to stream my music to my phone while driving...several seconds to start the next song, or would just stop during a song, and sometimes it would just stop altogether...had to restart playback.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to stretch the "playback from memory" functionality to include storing 5-10 minutes of upcoming streaming to the local phone/device memory, so when my coverage isn't so good, it's still got something to fall back on? 

When coverage/signal improves, it can refill the buffer, but would stream more seamlessly during sketchy connections.

doesn't help the no connection, but would help with sketchy connection, and might use the same system to implement
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up