INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Future tv enhancements planned?  (Read 1917 times)

dunxed

• Recent member
Future tv enhancements planned?
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:56:18 pm »

Hi there,
I was wondering is there any upcoming/future TV enhancements planned?  Particulariy in the management of recordings and the TV guide?
Thanks!

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Future tv enhancements planned?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:08:03 am »

I think it is safe to say that there will be further enhancements!
MC is a constantly evolving beast. Features are added all the time. Sometimes with speed and sometimes slowly, but there will be improvements for sure.
What those features will be are rarely divulged by the Dev team. TV has been a major focus in MC17, for which I am very grateful.

Are there any specific things that you're having issues with?

SBR

dunxed

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 05:55:21 pm »

Well, as you asked  ;D

The TV functionality a great addition to JRiver, but for me its not quite polished enough yet to roll out to the wife.

some specific enhancments I would like to see are listed below (alot of these have been mentioned already in the forums):

1) The Guide grid dynamically slide along to keep up-to-date with current time.  Currently if you go into the Guide then select a programme to watch live, then return to the Guide, it presents the same original static grid which is now out-of-date.

2) Record & Subscription indications within the programme slots so you can easily see if they are configured for record/subscription (WMC use one red light / series of red lights which is very effective)

3) A way to view and edit all the scheduled recordings / subscriptions within Guide

4) Ability to configure the recording & subscription default values (I'm most interested in start-before, stop-after, When)

5) The record button toggle through options of: Record - Subscription - Cancel  (so you can push record record button twice to subscribe to a programme, same as WMC)

6) Current time-of-day (clock) on the same page as the guide.

7) On the menu system, less clicks to get to the TV more quickly that I can today (which is via the menu and then the Guide itself).  Basically take me straight into TV and then if I want to, I’ll call up the Guide.  Also, when in the Guide, to exit easily I use the escape key, whereas in the rest of JRiver I use the “Left arrow” key.  It would be good to make this consistent.

I love the fact JRiver is so easy to install and looks good with a little tweaking and I’m really looking forward to plugging it into my processor & amp to listed to the music once it’s up and running!  Having the TV functionality as above would be perfect!

NickF

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:59:16 am »

+1 to all of the above.

Yes, some of them have been mentioned before but no harm in consolidating them.

I would still like to see some changes in scanning and selecting channels to keep:

1) In a scan, have an option to exclude all encrypted channels.

2) Improve the matching of channel names to mc2xml names.

3) Hide duplication of channels across multiple carriers (e.g. DVB-S and DVB-T) with rules for choice of carrier type and SD/HD for watching and recording.

4) Channel logos in the Guide

5) Adding to dunxed's 7 above, I would like to see direct remote and MCWS Core Commands to take you straight to Live TV, Recorded TV/Shows and Guide, using the Windows MC remote commands, if possible.  Personally, I would prefer an extended set of the 22001 Core Commands.  MC needs to work like a TV.  When you turn on a TV, it starts in Live TV on the last channel you were watching.  I have never seen a TV which switches on to show the Guide.

6) An MCWS Core Command to select channels by channel number (3-4 digit).

It is some time since we saw any significant improvement in TV.  Hopefully it is still a priority for JRiver.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 03:54:24 am »

All great suggestions.

SBR

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:31:12 am »

Well, as you asked  ;D

1) The Guide grid dynamically slide along to keep up-to-date with current time.  Currently if you go into the Guide then select a programme to watch live, then return to the Guide, it presents the same original static grid which is now out-of-date.

2) Record & Subscription indications within the programme slots so you can easily see if they are configured for record/subscription (WMC use one red light / series of red lights which is very effective)

6) Current time-of-day (clock) on the same page as the guide.

These are my top picks. Will JRiver confirm that these are coming (some day)? Give me some hope.  ;)

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 06:45:35 am »

Since we are wishing:

I would like to see support for multiple set top boxes.  I mean the ability to select which IR blaster is connected to which set top box, so that we truly have multiple boxes connected and MC will be able to tune each one seperatly.

Also, I would like to see the channel change information exposed to the Automation events, so that we can develop plug-ins for serial/ ip control of set top boxes.

Alex

NickF

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 08:47:23 am »

Yaobing, any chance of making this a sticky so we have one place to put new requirements and enhancements?

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:01:12 am »

I don't think Yaobing needs help adding to his list right now.  We appreciate the ideas but we're working on a long list already.

NickF

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 09:10:39 am »

OK, Jim.  We wait with eager anticipation, as always!

Nick.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 10:23:00 am »

I don't think Yaobing needs help adding to his list right now.  We appreciate the ideas but we're working on a long list already.
Jim's comments alway brighten my day.  ::)
SBR
Pages: [1]   Go Up