INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't play .ts recordings on Clients but play okay on Server [Solved]  (Read 2058 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

I tried to play a TV recording (.ts file) on the bedroom set (client) tonight but the showstarted stuttering after a few seconds. I tried a couple of other recorded shows (that I know played previously) and same stuttering issue. So I went to Family room set (also a client) and had same problem. Bedroom client is on ver .150 and Family room client is on .149

I can play DVDs and MKVs fine on both clients so it doesn't look like a network issue. Only the recorded TV shows are broken.

Then I went to Server and tried playing the same .ts shows and they worked fine. So the file itself is not the problem.
I tried switching from RO+HQ to STD on the two clients but that didn't help. Still can't play a recorded TV show on a client machine.

On the Server (with RO+HQ) the display is shown as 60.0Hz and "movie" shows as 59.940 - and the recorded TV show (.ts files) play fine.
 On Server with (RO STD) the EVR display shows 48.04 (flucuates a little but stays steady) - and playback is smooth.

On the Clients (RO STD) the EVR frame rate starts at 59 and quickly drops to 32.0 and fluctuates around 30 to 31.78 (starts stuttering after 2 seconds of playing).
On the client (RO+HQ) madVR statistics show dropped frames every couple of seconds, clock deviation -42.xx, no empty queues.

I am running ver .150, I dropped back to version .147 on the client (which I know worked fine) but I still have the same problem. And I know it was working fine under .147 (I don't recall if I played any recorded TV since version .147) so I don't know when this problem came up.

Any ideas? I'll change server back to .147 too and see if that does anything for the client playback.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Can't play .ts recordings on Clients but play okay on Server
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:46:47 pm »

Try this in order on one of the Client's giving you trouble:
1) Open Windows Explorer, go to where the file is stored on the server and just double click it so it plays in MC.  Still have issues?
2) Copy the file to the clients HDD and use Windows Explorer to play it in MC.  Still have issues?

JRiver CEO Elect

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 08:17:58 am »

Looks like problem was with network.
I could not play the .ts files through Explorer as you suggested. So I downloaded the .ts file to the client. It took 1 hr 12 minutes @1.1MB/sec (its a 4.04GB file). The tv episode is only 30 minutes long. So i started looking into network (tried rebooting of course). I didn't really find anything wrong, but now it is back up to speed. I'm getting a file transfer speed of 11MB/sec now (still takes 5 minutes to copy 3.8GB file across network). Its a 1GB network (but only 100MB/sec on this specific client).

What still seems sluggish is the amount of time it takes to expand/open the folder on the Server machine. I click on the network folder in Explorer and it takes 20 seconds for the folder to open. Maybe it is the Server drive spin up time or such, but I don't have a setting to adjust this and it wasn't this slow before.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 04:05:16 pm »

So it plays OK now?
JRiver CEO Elect

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 05:11:44 pm »

Yes. Plays fine now.
I was a little mislead when I tried playing a mkv (DVD) and it worked - so I thought that the network must be fine. MKV was smaller file size than the .ts file so it didn't choke when I played it. Still don't know why/what happened. Maybe the reboot of the router is what set things right again.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Ah well, it's IT and dodgy stuff happens all the time :)
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up