INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi channel Flac 96/24  (Read 4178 times)

davejberry

Multi channel Flac 96/24
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:16:06 pm »

Hi guys, just a quick question.

I currently use JRiver to play stereo hi res flac files without issue on a windows 7 machine using wasapi; Outputting flac 96/24 unchanged over co-axial into my sony receiver, the sony display shows LPCM 96. What I cannot seem to do is play hi res multi channel files the same way. I have a sample 96/24 file in 5.1 flac which gives me an error message from JRiver which offers to downmix to 2.0 which does work.

I have JRiver MC16 and my realtek sound ( AL888 ) set up to to pass data unchanged from source bit rate and number of channels, in fact MC16  bitstreams DD multi channel from DVDs without issue which shows up on my sony as DD3/2.1. Is it something to do with bandwidth over spdif coax??

If anyone can play 5.1 flacs from JRiver MC16 over spdif  coax, can you enlighten me please.

regards

Dave

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Multi channel Flac 96/24
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:47:02 pm »

Welcome.

S/PDIF can only do 2-channel PCM or 5.1 channel when encoded as Dolby Digital or DTS.

You'll either need to check the option in DSP Studio > Output Format to use Dolby Digital for surround sound, or you'll need to switch to HDMI or analog from S/PDIF.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

davejberry

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:54:07 pm »

Thanks Matt, I thought I read somewhere that the bitrate was too high for spdif. Looks like i need to upgrade to a mainboard with HDMI. The DAC in my Sony is way better than the on board realtek chip on my current Gigabyte board.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 10:27:14 am »

I am just a beginner but how do I set up to do multichannel FLAC 96/24 over ethernet.  All I get is stereo from JRiver but I can get mch with another DLNA server.

Kal
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 10:34:21 am »

Welcome.  If you're using MC's DLNA Server, you can set the conversion to "none".

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 04:54:42 pm »

Welcome.  If you're using MC's DLNA Server, you can set the conversion to "none".
Where/how do I do that?

Kal
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 10:45:20 am »

Tools->Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA servers-> Audio: conversion
Pages: [1]   Go Up