INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Invitation to the Theater, for skinning  (Read 5135 times)

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
Invitation to the Theater, for skinning
« on: May 24, 2012, 05:34:39 am »

I would like to gather a group of three to four persons,
to design a skin for Theater View.

I think this could be nice way to do it, we would have a better
chance of hitting something more users would like,
and, very important, have a fun time making it.

We will start from scratch........NOW

So throw up some ideas, screenshots, etc. and/or join the group.

Looking forward to this hopefully hapen.

Thomas

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Invitation to the Theater, for skinning
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 01:48:35 am »

I've read your post, and I'm thinking about it...

I have so little time to call my own these days its getting a bit ridiculous.

After almost 24 hrs, 42 views, and no replies, I didn't want you to feel your post was a waste of time. It's a good idea, just not sure how much value I would bring as a team member... a yes or no from me tomorrow morning, OK?

-marko

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 02:56:09 am »

Thanks for replying Marko

Looking forward to your answer.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 07:21:51 am »

I am very interested in a collaboration just not sure how it is going to work.
Could you give some details on what you envision.
Sean

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:54:16 am »

Thanks Scolex for your interest in this projekt.

I have never done anything like this before,
so my first thought is that, we need a way to communicate,
by writing and showing images of ideas.

I don't think we should use the forum for this,
but maybe something like skype, messenger or something alike.

If Marko says yes to this aswell, we're allready three in the projekt, and more is wellcome.
So people come out, and we try to make this happen.

Thomas

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 11:25:48 am »

We could maybe create an IRC channel for chat and a google code page, free webhost page or something like that.
What do you think?

PS: Just changed to a new internet service provider and I think I get some web space with it that we could use. Will look into it and report back.
Sean

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 12:43:32 pm »

:-*

I don't think I would be of much help in terms of design and graphics and all that but if you folks need storage, FTP or even a website, I am willing to set you up on a subdomain of my domain, privatebits.net (hosted at hostmonster.com).

I don't know how it works but github.com is free too and is supposed to be a platform for coders. That might even be better because it supports checking files in and out with versioning and all that.

SkGe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 03:25:08 pm »

Xplain what type of collabaration you think off?
Because if you extend to more than a person on project you need to agree on what direction you want to go. (all of you), and each person have an directional idea with how to work on, let say make a skin for theater view.
I have some skills on create things for MC, i did some standard skins for it, maybe some of them like or not, so now my question is, what type of project you have in mind, what you expect from others to do, anyhow i don't see a problem the communication part to be, because internet is full of options.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 02:21:46 am »

xplain,
It's going to have to be a "no" from me. That's me just in from a 14 hour shift!

All the new work gives us a kind of "recession proof" feeling, but at the same time, it's a lot of new work and we're all kind of stretched to the max.

You already have a folder on the FTP server, you are more than welcome to use that if there's a need.

Maybe there will be a seat for me at the next project, by which time Real Life™ may have eased up on me a little :)

-marko

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 09:08:43 am »

We could maybe create an IRC channel for chat

Never tried it, but if it's easy, yes thats the way to go.

I don't think I would be of much help in terms of design and graphics and all that but if you folks need storage, FTP or even a website, I am willing to set you up on a subdomain of my domain, privatebits.net (hosted at hostmonster.com).

Yes, this would be nice, thanks a million.

Xplain what type of collabaration you think off?

So this is the hard part, to be honest I figured it would be something like, in the start throwing some darts
and see if anything stayes.
Lets say I or another have a good idea on the looks of the skin, we would then throw up a quick mockup
made in ex. Photoshop, some of the stuff we could then agree on and other things not.

When we decide and agree on the looks we then split out the work, (Coding, Photoshop-ing, button, theme)

It's going to have to be a "no" from me
:'( To bad.

InflatableMouse: Yes we would like You to set up an easy way to share our images, and skin ideas and what not, thanks.

Scolex: If You guide me in the way to IRC, this is the way we're going.

sirgeo: Are You in  ;D    P P P Please

SkGe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 10:23:35 pm »

I will try my best to be here and help with my skills, more dunno, i wait to see where the things start and i will move with you ahead.

JustinM

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 09:58:12 pm »

Hey Xplain,

I'm interested in learning about skinning for theatre view and possibly contributing..  Before I do I need to do some research on the subject .. If you have any  links , suggestions, info, advise  to help  speed the learning curve; I would deffinately appreciate it.

cheers   

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 02:09:59 pm »

Hi Xplain. It's a YES from me. Like I mentioned to you in our PM I have no experience in the programming side but I can surely help in the designing and features area. I've worked with many other members from many other sites - specifically Meedio/MeediOS. These guys actually wrote a brand new engine/software from scratch!!! And we're worried about writing a skin  ;D .

I think the easiest way to collaborate on this project would be for one individual (Xplain, for instance) to start a skin. He would set the direction for the particular theme. He could then e-mail a copy of the "work in progress" skin to certain participating people so that they can each add their own and "AGREED UPON" additions. This way the skin will begin to snowball as it gets passed around. We all must be on the same page here and resist the urge to just randomly add stuff without Xplain's approval because then the skin turns into a runaway train of sorts. There must be a single direction to where each theme is going. Every participating individual can add his own "department of work" - so to say - as it passes to him. Xplain can then do the final "check off" for each build. The theme will keep getting "builds" as it grows, and they will be stored in the repository continuously during the work in progress faze, and finally when done, and we all agree it's the theme we invisioned, we can submit it to JRiver.

We will also need a repository for the skins, the "works in progress", and anything else that comes into play. It has to be a storage area that anyone of us can access day or night. There are many cloud services - like Microsoft's SkyDrive, or Google, for instance, that can accomplish this. We can set up a JRiver skins repository there and grant limited access for us to download and upload the skins in progress. If this cannot be done due to SkyDrive's 5 gig account limit, then I can offer some of my cloud service accounts up for JRiver Skinning Project (JRSP) as a donation. I have 50 gigs (I think?) on my BOX cloud that I'm not using. I can donate this to the cause for free. This should help to significantly kick things off as we now have a direction, and more importantly, a place to safely store our works in progress.

Will this work?
I'll add more later.

Jimmy
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 03:33:13 am »

Jimmy

We do have place in the space, thanks to InflatableMouse.
I send you a pm.

Nice if You have tried to work like this before.

I like Your idea, how to work,
I think we should give this a go, and then things can start to develop,
and maybe we find our own way to do this.

Thomas
Pages: [1]   Go Up