INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video playback stutters for optical and VOB material  (Read 4796 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Video playback stutters for optical and VOB material
« on: June 03, 2012, 03:47:16 am »

I usually play ripped dvds and bds (mkv), and it works great using ROHQ. JRiver Benchmark is above 4000 (i7 with 16GB RAM, nVidia 560Ti video card). I have never been able to play DVDs or BluRay discs directly frommy optical drive. It stutters and freezes constantly, even with RO standard. I attributed this to the drive being too slow, but it may also be connected to Convolution.

I have now ripped a DVD with its structure to .IFO/.VOB on my harddisk, and I am still not able to playback this without severe stutter. Same result with RO and ROHQ. I use convolution. With 15 paths, the convolution runs at ~11x real time. Disabling convolution seems to give smooth video playback. But should not a 11x convolution speed be more than fast enough?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Video playback stutters for optical and VOB material
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 07:44:32 am »

Perhaps a virus checker is causing problems?

Trumpetguy

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 10:12:42 am »

Turning off Microsoft Security Essentials real time check did not make any difference.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 08:45:18 am »

I'll try to rephrase the question, since it seems the problem may be related to Convolution:

Are there anyone that are successfully playing either optical discs, images or harddisk rips (VOBs) using multichannel convolution?

If yes, I would be really grateful to receive any suggestions to why my computer is not able to...

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 08:55:55 am »

I would think if anything the 11x is causing the stuttering because it is too high and the stutters are happening during the temporary high load.
I don't use convolution but the above just makes sense to me, this assumes the convolution speed uses a symmetric pattern in that at 11x it only
processes data 9% of the time and the rest of them time it is filling a buffer.
Maybe it doesn't work that way don't know.
Sean

Trumpetguy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 10:47:17 am »

I would think if anything the 11x is causing the stuttering because it is too high and the stutters are happening during the temporary high load.
I don't use convolution but the above just makes sense to me, this assumes the convolution speed uses a symmetric pattern in that at 11x it only
processes data 9% of the time and the rest of them time it is filling a buffer.
Maybe it doesn't work that way don't know.

You may have a point. Only problem is - why is this not a problem when playing the same material in an mkv container (except audio is then pre-decoded and stored as FLAC)?

Trumpetguy

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 08:56:57 am »

I try again - The only video format I can successfully play now is rips stored in MKV container (and of course less demanding material like home videos from my own camera and such).

Are there anyone else that have stuttering problems playing optical disks (dvd or bd) or rips to harddisk?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 09:28:11 am »

You won't be able to play a DVD with high-latency audio convolution.

This is because the DVD navigator (Microsoft's part for reading DVDs) won't expose audio more than a little ahead.  This means the convolution can't get enough data ahead of the video being displayed to maintain lip-sync.

We have a system to play DVDs without the navigator, but it's not currently possible to use it for regular playback.  Maybe someday.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Trumpetguy

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 11:24:02 am »

You won't be able to play a DVD with high-latency audio convolution.

This is because the DVD navigator (Microsoft's part for reading DVDs) won't expose audio more than a little ahead.  This means the convolution can't get enough data ahead of the video being displayed to maintain lip-sync.

We have a system to play DVDs without the navigator, but it's not currently possible to use it for regular playback.  Maybe someday.

Oups, I remember now. This topic was discussed before sometime late v16 or early v17. Am I right to assume ripped DVD material stored as VOBs have the same problem, whereas MPEG2 material stored in MKV should always be fine? And what about optical blurays?

Ok, so I will look forward to "someday".

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 11:34:06 am »

Am I right to assume ripped DVD material stored as VOBs have the same problem, whereas MPEG2 material stored in MKV should always be fine?

Yes.

And what about optical blurays?

I would expect them to work fine with a high audio latency.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Trumpetguy

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 01:08:59 pm »

I would expect them to work fine with a high audio latency.

Blyray disc works fine. Funny, this is the first time since JRiver was installed that I actually tried to play an optical disk without ripping it first...

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 02:14:19 pm »

Besides reducing the filter length, can there be done something else to fix this problem until a more permanent solution is found? Does there exist alternatives to Microsoft DVD Navigator?

Best regards,
Mikkel
Pages: [1]   Go Up