INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray  (Read 3692 times)

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
Blu-ray
« on: June 13, 2012, 12:17:33 pm »

I own the latest v16 of MC now and had a couple of questions about blu ray ripping and tagging.  I know v17 supports blu ray ripping with AnyDVD HD installed (which I do have) but my understanding is that it will only rip the entire disc as a .ISO file.  Does v17 have the ability to let the user only select the main title and HD soundtrack only for .ISO ripping to save space?  If yes, can v17 look up tag data and cover art for this reduced size rip?  If no, I could use MakeMKV externally to accomplish this but if I store .MKV blu rays within v17 I have the same question about tagging and cover art.  Can v17 retrieve it for .MKV blu ray files that only contain the main movie and HD soundtrack?  If no I know how do to this manually with another program but the process is somewhat cumbersome.

I ask these questions because v17, as it stands today does not offer enough for me to upgrade from v16 but if it could do what I asked about previously that alone would be worth the upgrade cost.

Thanks.

Eric

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:42:42 pm »

It doesn't do ISO's.  It takes all the files and moves them to a folder.  So you could remove any you don't want.  MC will get the metadata.

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
Blu-ray
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:29:22 pm »

Thanks for the quick response Jim.

Interesting...  A few follow up questions if I could: Is it possible to determine what you want to copy prior to doing so, or do have to copy the entire blu ray first first then remove files?  On a related note, is it clear (more or less) which files are the main movie and HD soundtrack before or after copying the file?  The only experience I have is with MakeMKV and with no prior experience I was able to accurately deduce most of the time which files I needed.  Final question:  If I want to copy from a client on my network to the Server running JRiver, do I have to have AnyDVD running on it as well as the server, or just the server (which is where it's installed now)?

Final question:  Is there a thread that discusses bluray ripping with v17.x?

I may have to give v17 a try...

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Blu-ray
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:39:05 pm »

You would need to copy first.

I don't know the answer to your server question.

Discussion is scattered throughout the forum.  It's a sensitive subject.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:34:01 pm »

Let me try to answer a few Q:s.

1) Ripping:  AnyDVD HD presents the BD to the OS in an unencrypted form.  The means MC can play and rip this encrypted content just fine.  Also once ripped it is no longer encrypted and will play just fine without AnyDVD HD and the directory can be copied to other PC if you want.  If you use AnyDVD HD's rip to protected ISO then to play it back in MC, you will need to first mount the ISO, and like a physical disc, AnyDVD HD needs to do it's magic before MC can play it.

2) Streams:  Most of the Video/Audio streams are actually muxed inside the m2ts files itself.  So with a prog like makeMKV shows you these streams and gives you the option to create a NEW BD with only the streams you want.  If you like, these are Remuxing (Re authoring Tools) and is (currently) outside the scope of what MC or AnyDVD HD does.  MC will let you choose which of these streams that should be used during playback.  Alternatively some discs also keep content in separate m2ts files (eg extras, etc).  If you don't what these ones you can delete them but they tend to be small and if you don't know what you are doing you could break you playback of the Main item.
JRiver CEO Elect

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 01:09:10 pm »

There is also the option to use the free program tsMuxerGUI. It can copy the main video stream, Audio stream and subtitle file to any destination you want. MC is really good at identifying the playlist of the Blu-ray disk, so I use this way to finding the correct playlist. Then I load this into tsMuxerGUI and select all the tracks I want to copy. This also requires AnyDVD HD to be loaded first.

TLS

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 04:10:54 pm »

If you are after a good free front end muxer for BD, I'd suggest ClownBD.
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 04:46:24 pm »

If no, I could use MakeMKV externally to accomplish this but if I store .MKV blu rays within v17 I have the same question about tagging and cover art. Can v17 retrieve it for .MKV blu ray files that only contain the main movie and HD soundtrack?
I don't think anyone answered this yet. Yes, v17 can easily tag and get cover art for your MKV. It is very easy.

I have anyDVD and usually just rip the whole movie since it is so easy with JRiver. However, if I don't want everything on the disc then I use MakeMKV. I hope it stays free forever because it sure is easy to use.

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 06:00:21 pm »

Thank you for this explanation.  It helped with my decision for ripping.  :)

Let me try to answer a few Q:s.

1) Ripping:  AnyDVD HD presents the BD to the OS in an unencrypted form.  The means MC can play and rip this encrypted content just fine.  Also once ripped it is no longer encrypted and will play just fine without AnyDVD HD and the directory can be copied to other PC if you want.  If you use AnyDVD HD's rip to protected ISO then to play it back in MC, you will need to first mount the ISO, and like a physical disc, AnyDVD HD needs to do it's magic before MC can play it.

2) Streams:  Most of the Video/Audio streams are actually muxed inside the m2ts files itself.  So with a prog like makeMKV shows you these streams and gives you the option to create a NEW BD with only the streams you want.  If you like, these are Remuxing (Re authoring Tools) and is (currently) outside the scope of what MC or AnyDVD HD does.  MC will let you choose which of these streams that should be used during playback.  Alternatively some discs also keep content in separate m2ts files (eg extras, etc).  If you don't what these ones you can delete them but they tend to be small and if you don't know what you are doing you could break you playback of the Main item.

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 06:05:07 pm »

That's a clever approach for getting selecting the proper streams for ripping.

There is also the option to use the free program tsMuxerGUI. It can copy the main video stream, Audio stream and subtitle file to any destination you want. MC is really good at identifying the playlist of the Blu-ray disk, so I use this way to finding the correct playlist. Then I load this into tsMuxerGUI and select all the tracks I want to copy. This also requires AnyDVD HD to be loaded first.

TLS

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 06:18:04 pm »

You make a good point here.  I tried the combo and AnyDVD-HD and ClownBD and MakeMKV about a year ago when I briefly dabbled with bluray ripping for the first time.  Both programs ultimately accomplished the same thing but I recall slightly preferring MakeMKV.

If you are after a good free front end muxer for BD, I'd suggest ClownBD.

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 09:12:59 pm »

You read my mind, and I was preparing to ask this question again:  Most impressive  ;D.  This is a big deal to me and will likely push me to upgrade to v17.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume if I name my .mkv movie files properly-like the literal name of the movie-that Carnac will be able to grab reasonably accurate metadata based on this?

Though I have a reasonable amount of space available for bluray (10TB), it is not infinite and cannot be expanded with the PC case I am using for the foreseeable future.  Thus, I have a bias toward ripping only the main movie title plus HD soundtrack.  Given this I think MakeMKV will serve me well as I can live happily without extras.  The last time I tried MakeMKV I used My Movie's collector management system to grab metadata. It worked but was tedious and time consuming.  Again, correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect MC17 will be able to inspect a library folder with all my .mkv files in it and based on filename (and perhaps other attributes I'm not aware of presently) will be able to automatically grab and apply cover art and metadata for said files?

I don't think anyone answered this yet. Yes, v17 can easily tag and get cover art for your MKV. It is very easy.

I have anyDVD and usually just rip the whole movie since it is so easy with JRiver. However, if I don't want everything on the disc then I use MakeMKV. I hope it stays free forever because it sure is easy to use.

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 09:08:53 am »

Does it have to be AnydvdHD for blu-ray? I would like to have lossless audio and am not sure you get that? This software promises lossless audio http://www.aunsoft.com/convert-truehd-dtshd-audio-rip-blu-ray-to-lossless-audio/  . Can you use it?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 09:35:36 am »

AnyDVD HD just reads the disc.  MC can then play whatever is on the disc.  The audio source you get from the disc will be the same no matter what you use to read the disc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up