INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you (or a friend) buy a Mac version of JRiver Media Center if it were possible?

Yes
- 80 (40%)
Probably
- 13 (6.5%)
Maybe
- 14 (7%)
No
- 93 (46.5%)
I don't know
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 197

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Would you buy MC on OS X ?  (Read 39873 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
POLL: Would you buy MC on OS X ?
« on: June 19, 2012, 10:27:03 am »

[Edit -- We have now released a Mac version.  Please see the FAQ on the MAC board here.  Thanks.]

We've discussed porting MC to Mac in the past.  I'm interested in hearing your current thoughts on the subject.

It would be a very big project for JRiver.  We have about 1.5 million lines of code and changes would need to be made throughout.

[Edit -- We're asking the same question for Linux.]

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Re: POLL: Would you buy MC on OS X ?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:32:20 am »

I don't have, nor intend to own a Mac, so no for me.

However, I would pay extra for a Linux port that let me run the server on my unRAID server, even if all the clients still have to be windows.
pretend this is something funny

Vincent Kars

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:36:08 am »

I vote "no" because I believe the future is not Win, not OSX but Android.
A tablet connected to a DAC over USB pulling its data from a NAS is my preferred setup.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:51:01 am »

Interesting that the first two regulars who posted each want a different OS.

We have choices now.

Windows
OS X
Linux
Android

Note that porting to any of the last three should make it much easier to port to the others.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:54:21 am »

I voted no because I will most likely never have a Mac product and don't know anyone that has anything other than a iP.... device.

If it were solely my decision I would move toward a virtual device that can work with audio/video from any program and route it through
the MC A/V engine. With something like that I would think it would be easier to make it work across multiple platforms.
Sean

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 11:05:24 am »

I have voted with probably as Windows user in order to open the door for Mac users.  :)

But the question "MC17 for Macs" should better only replied by Mac users. Therefore should actual MC17 users show the functions, performance and usability of MC17 to Mac users to get a feedback about potential interest.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 11:09:16 am »

I would add Cloud and Windows RT to Jim's list of choices.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rlebrette

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 11:32:36 am »

Voted "No", I'm not an Apple User.
I tend to think that a Linux server engine could serve different renderers and would be an interesting option.

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 11:53:49 am »

LOL! Yes, of course I would.

A great deal of the stuff you guys are forced to do on a Windows platform will be redundant on MacOS, meaning the port might be easier than you think. One very great advantage would be that you don't have to worry about driver support.

The cost of development tools and support is quite literally, trivial, and it's an nice introduction to UNIX style programming for Windows programmers. (MacOS is Unix under the covers.)

Moreover, streaming directly to and from iOS devices is also possible, and for heavens sake, if you guys would stream DVDs (ripped or otherwise) to an Apple TV2 or Apple TV3, you would sell at least a few thousand copies based just solely on that alone.

There is not any reliable or good way to do that at this time. 

Talk about answering frustrated Apple users? People would run MC on Windows just to get that capability. (While all modern Macs run Windows just fine- the license cost for Windows is rather high. All Macs are licensed to run any version of MacOS they can run.)

Also, I think a lot of us "MacTribesman" (as I was just recently described :) would love the interface that MC has, and JRemote is very good indeed.

So yes, I would buy a new license or two on MacOS.

I would buy another license or three to get DVD streaming to an Apple TV today, even from Windows. :)

And yes, I know about jainbreaking ATVs, but even jailbroken ATV don't seem to work very well with say, VOB or MKV files.

-Paul

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 11:57:50 am »

To those who voted no.

Did you happen to notice the "or a friend" in the poll question?  I will likely never own a Mac but I know at least 10 people who would buy JRiver if they could run it on MacOS.

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 12:11:50 pm »

Yes.

Although I would rather see a Linux version. Debian would do nicely thanks :).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 01:41:53 pm »

Did you happen to notice the "or a friend" in the poll question?  I will likely never own a Mac but I know at least 10 people who would buy JRiver if they could run it on MacOS.

I voted yes, and I would buy it on day one.

I would also "sell" (for sure) at least 5 or 6 copies immediately to others I know.  Probably more in the end, but those are for sure.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 02:12:19 pm »

I probably won't buy a new Mac in the near future, although I have two at home. My htpc has reconverted me back to Win7!
I do know of at least 3 or 4 people that I could convince to buy it on osx though.

SBR

jhwalker

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 02:23:57 pm »

Absolutely.  Though I'm pretty entrenched in iTunes for managing ripping / cataloging, etc., I'd welcome the additional flexibility JRiver offers and would likely retag all 60k+ tracks to have that better organization.   

Make it capable of bypassing Core Audio and playing in direct / integer mode (as some of the 3rd party players now can), and it'd be a must-have.

pcstockton

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 02:24:40 pm »

Probably more in the end, but those are for sure.

Seeing there isn't any decent UPNP server (nor media player for that matter) for MacOS, JRiver would be huge for anyone trying to stream or do whole-house audio.  They are stuck with Sonos or Asset now.

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

locust

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 02:50:20 pm »

I voted no because I don't think I'll ever own an apple product and I don't have any friends who have an apple computer either apart from a few with iphones and ipads.

Another reason I voted no is that there is one thing that worries me a little, would we see a decrease in development of all the wonderful updates we get now? If yes, would it be most drastic during the porting process and then level out once there are multiple os versions? And roughly how long would it take to port the application to another os? I just hope it wouldn't dilute the updates or the community on the forum too much.

I do believe you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket in case windows goes belly up.

I've always been a windows user and feel I am unlikely to change any time soon although maybe one day..

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 04:41:07 pm »

I voted No for selfish reasons only.  As a non OS X user, I'd hate to see the resources of MC distracted.  Also the project is not just about porting MC but about what related code from 3rd parties would be needed (video decoders/renderers etc).
JRiver CEO Elect

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 04:58:44 pm »

I voted "no" because I don't have and will not have a mac.

I'm not sure what about my (few) Mac-friends. When I talked to them about MC the last time they explained iTunes does exactly what they need and works best with the iPhone. They don't see a reason to change. So I also expect that no friend of mine would buy MC for Mac.

Right now I'd vote with "no" for every other OS, because I only use windows right now and have no intention to change. Perhaps I'll take a look at Windows RT.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 05:15:27 pm »

I voted "No" because I don't have a Mac and since I build all the computer for friends and family, neither do they.  :)

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 05:21:23 pm »

I voted maybe.

I want a full client version on a tablet device, mainly for the ability to edit tag info. If a Mac port facilitated this via an iPad client I'd definitely buy a copy. 

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 06:37:24 pm »

A definite yes for me.

jgreen

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 08:03:02 pm »

If I was JRiver I would likely ask myself:  How many of the frothing-mouth Mac Faithful did I figure would leave iTunes to buy MC? 

If I was King of MC, I would look for more conectivity-enhancing thingies I could charge an arm and a leg for. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 08:14:22 pm »

If I was JRiver I would likely ask myself:  How many of the frothing-mouth Mac Faithful did I figure would leave iTunes to buy MC? 

If I was King of MC, I would look for more conectivity-enhancing thingies I could charge an arm and a leg for. 
Ah.  A price increase.  I'd never thought of that...

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 08:28:30 pm »

really, for me, the question isn't would i buy MC for OS X... it is would i get rid of windows if MC were on OS X, and the answer is yes.

Daydream

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 08:44:49 pm »

No because of the already mentioned reason of diverting dev resources.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 08:50:07 pm »

really, for me, the question isn't would i buy MC for OS X... it is would i get rid of windows if MC were on OS X, and the answer is yes.
I agree. When I inventory the applications keeping me on a Windows platform it is primarily MC. Most of the other apps are needed to keep Windows alive (e.g. backup, defrag, virus checking, ...) or are also available on Mac (e.g. Lightroom, Photoshop, ...).

Ekpen

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 10:11:55 pm »

I voted "NO" . I will never own a Mac.  Linux port Yes.
Bring it on Jim... Linux port. I am building a new server, every hardware is ready except a couple of hard drives.... X58A- 24 gig of memory etc.
Note- I do not mine paying more for the current MC and a Linux Port.

Ekpen.

Nilsi

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: AW: POLL: Would you buy MC on OS X ?
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 01:32:59 am »

No:
1. very unlikely, that  you will catch the "needed" critical amount of Apple users, for I think (unfotunatly) most of them are happy having a system giving them 70-80 % well working functions compared to windows world as 100%...and sometimes I envy them for their simple minds.
2. I would rather expect you guys to develop a  Unix NAS based (stable running) Server, for this really seems to be a very reasonable tendency in ourdays, not only for music.

MrHaugen

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 01:39:27 am »

I'd use what ever platform MC was for. MC is the ONLY thing I run on my HTPC's. If I had a choice however, I would never go for Apple products. Simply because they have a very bad habit of treating their costumers badly and trying to deliberately hurt competition. I'd never ever go for a closed solution from Apple if there was any other way.

I pray that you'll not end up going this way! It will take LOTS of time porting the product, and we'll forever suffer of slower development time because you'll have to develop, test and fix problems for both platforms. It will seriously hurt the development for all the others that are JUST FINE with the windows platform as a basis. How many more users would you gain with a port? Those users that are on a Mac today? Probably not many of them. Most of them are iSheeps (my term for people who follow the new trends of shiny and easy to use products with limited options), and they will probably be terrified of leaving iTunes. And they'd STILL need iTunes because they probably have a iPhone or other iDevice that forces the users to keep iTunes.

What about those that use MC today but want to go to Mac only? What do you gain of pleasing those people? They do just fine by running Windows in the background for their HTPC today, and they will still do fine with it tomorrow. The development will probably be on halt for very long time, and you'll loose some customers because of the lack of updates and fixes. Not because others also lack progress for long periods, but because the MC users have come to expect continuous improvements and features in MC. Take that away for a long period, and you're bound to make some mad customers.

As others mention, a simple library sharing port for NAS' however. That might be a better goal than a full OSx port imo.

*EDIT* This is my personal opinions, as usual. I'm not a trend, software or OS researcher :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

NickF

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 02:03:05 am »

I have voted no for similar reasons already expressed, primarily dilution of resources preventing keeping the pace up on the Windows platform.  The market still seems strong for MC on Windows as Jim has told us.  I would be more enthusiastic about a NAS Linux server solution, as has already been mentioned.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 02:04:22 am »

I wouldn't purchase it on OSX because I refuse to purchase an Apple device.

If you guys are looking at opening up the biggest pond of prospective purchasers, I would have thought an Android (and therefore Linux (somewhat)) port would pose the biggest potential for return on investment...

Android has 50% of the smartphone market and a lot of NAS run Linux as standard...

MM_switcher

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 04:06:46 am »

I wouldn't purchase it on OSX because I refuse to purchase an Apple device.

If you guys are looking at opening up the biggest pond of prospective purchasers, I would have thought an Android (and therefore Linux (somewhat)) port would pose the biggest potential for return on investment...

Android has 50% of the smartphone market and a lot of NAS run Linux as standard...

+1 for Android

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 04:41:52 am »

My opinion on Macs is pretty clear, i just don't like the company and their ideas of a closed and fully controlled eco-system.
IMHO, it would be a serious waste of development effort, and most likely cause a development stall on new features for us that are happy with their Windows systems, unless you plan for plenty of new sales so that you would actually get more developers to avoid this.

Regarding Android.
I don't think Android needs a full blown MC17, it just does way too much for such a small device to handle.
If Gizmo would be improved a bit, extending it to also manage local media and some other general improvement, i would be set for my needs on my Phone/Tablet.

I will however agree to the Linux posts above, at least offering a Library Server that can run on Linux, because many people (including me) run their NAS servers on some kind of linux based system.
I realize this won't be easy, and the chances of it happening rather low, but one can dream. :) My VM with Windows just for MC17 on the NAS server is running strong, so i'm fine either way.

Considering that all video tasks are done using DirectShow, no other OS will be easy, because you'll have to setup a completely new video pipeline, and possibly end up with a discrepancy in your feature set because of it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Dan1970

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 05:50:54 am »

Yes without a doubt.

audioriver

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 06:17:28 am »

My opinion on Macs is pretty clear, i just don't like the company and their ideas of a closed and fully controlled eco-system.
IMHO, it would be a serious waste of development effort, and most likely cause a development stall on new features for us that are happy with their Windows systems, unless you plan for plenty of new sales so that you would actually get more developers to avoid this.

+1
Windows 10 Pro x64

)p(

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 06:40:53 am »

I voted probably.

In our household we now use iphones, ipads and a appletv. I plan to probably buy at least one mac to see how good it will ty all our devices together. If MC is available on the mac it will be the first app I will install on it.

But the one thing I would even prefer is a rich ipad client that is optimized for easy tagging on the device. I know use photosmith and really prefer doing tagging and rating on the ipad instead of in lightroom. But it would be even better if I could do all my tagging directly in the jrmc datatbase with an easy to use yet powerful interface on the ipad.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 09:37:25 am »

Several people have mentioned that there is a risk of neglecting work on our Windows version if we do another OS.  I don't think it will now slow us down much.  Here's why:

The Source

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 10:38:20 am »

For me, it really depends on if the library server ever gets the ability to serve more than one library simultaneously. If I'm able to serve different libraries from the same source to different clients, I could see buying an OSX device in the future to marry with my current iOS devices.

Also, would this mean MC could sync with the iPad/iPhone?

sunfire7

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 11:48:43 am »

It's Obvious that people who don't have Macs are voting no... You should as someone mentioned earlier ask the ones who owns OSX.  There is no solution like JRiver in OSX, so JRiver should capture the market before someone else does.... I think you should port to all of those OS, but start with OSX.
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 12:07:22 pm »

It's Obvious that people who don't have Macs are voting no...

I think a lot of users are really happy with MC on Windows (either as a server, HTPC, or just a PC) and can't fathom dropping $1000+ for the sole benefit of using OS X. If you are a Mac-only type of person, you aren't on this forum.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 01:00:32 pm »

I think a lot of users are really happy with MC on Windows (either as a server, HTPC, or just a PC) and can't fathom dropping $1000+ for the sole benefit of using OS X. If you are a Mac-only type of person, you aren't on this forum.

And as I've said in the past, that is the whole trouble of this type of poll  :)
You're asking entirely the wrong usergroup- You should be asking your potential customers with Macs, not the established users who will already be running Windows. (Except in a few cases, and those don't count!)

Once again, I'll personally state that I'm prepared to pay on *either* Mac or Linux. (Prefer Linux, but getting off Windows is worth it's weight in gold)

-Leezer-

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 01:05:59 pm »

You're asking entirely the wrong usergroup- You should be asking your potential customers with Macs, not the established users who will already be running Windows.
How would you suggest doing that?  I could try posting on Apple's forums, but I doubt it would be allowed.

I did post at ComputerAudiophile and at AVSforum.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 01:59:51 pm »

As I do not own or plan to own a Mac (nor do I have HTPC friends using Macs) I did not vote so as not to skew the statistics.

However, my movie server is on Linux (Ubuntu) sharing ISO files to my HTPC computers throughout the house, using good old Samba.  Those Win machines are using MC with local libraries of remote files.  Music and pictures, being much smaller, are duplicated locally.

I would be delighted to have a Linux variant of the server part of MC !

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 02:23:26 pm »

How would you suggest doing that?  I could try posting on Apple's forums, but I doubt it would be allowed.

I did post at ComputerAudiophile and at AVSforum.

That's all well and good testing what is effectively vaporware and asking people to sign up just to vote for a possibility to get a *proper* idea of demand, IMHO you need to make promises:

* Preorder with a reasonable timeframe (Beta within 6 months say)
* Realistic promises, not just a 'version' but features
* A page allowing just names/ email addresses. (I appreciate this may be seen as open to abuse)
* A promise of support in the technical sense.

Basically, the only way to get this to work is to go to market with it.

--Leezer-

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2012, 02:33:51 pm »

Thanks.  At this point, I'm trying to measure interest.  It looks like about 30% of our community might buy a copy. 

If we poll a more general community of Mac owners, results will depend heavily on whether they know about JRiver.

pcstockton

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2012, 02:41:48 pm »

Thanks.  At this point, I'm trying to measure interest. 

Exactly....  everyone is getting a little too excited about this casual poll you posted. 

There is no decent (legit) media player for Mac OS.  They have basically zero options for a robust UPNP Server.

The market opportunity is HUGE.

Take a stroll around Naim, Linn, Boulder, and other hifi mfrs websites.  You will see a TON of threads about how to do what they want on MacOS.  They would droll over your product.

Good luck,
Patrick

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2012, 03:18:06 pm »

Is the type of user drawn to Apple also interested in the features and complexity of MC or are they just satisfied with itunes?  I'm also a bit surprised Jim posted this given his experience over the years with the now defunct support for ipods (which is a far bigger market).  I'd rather see dev work going back into ipod/ipad client support.
JRiver CEO Elect

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2012, 03:21:28 pm »

Go forth into the multi-platform universe with guns blazing, and don't look back!!!

Congrats on The Source, exciting work.

P.S. At this point, most of my new hardware purchases revolve around MC compatibility. A better survey question is: "If JRiver released MC for OS X, would you buy a Mac?" :)

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2012, 04:24:24 pm »

Thanks.  At this point, I'm trying to measure interest.  It looks like about 30% of our community might buy a copy. 

If we poll a more general community of Mac owners, results will depend heavily on whether they know about JRiver.

Yes, but again I'll say the problem is that you're pushing what's effectively vapourware.
If you make concrete promises to this community of Mac owners, then you will get more interest than in the current situation where you're pushing maybes. IMHO the only way to get this truly moving is to put your money where your mouth is. Actually build something (Perhaps limit it to a MJ build- This way you don't need to consider nearly so much in terms of the video playback and Theatre View), and while it may be a little slow to get off the ground, it will get there in time.

As an alternative, have you considered doing something like starting a Kickstarter (or similar) project?
That gives a tangible promise and goal, while allowing a much more accurate gauge of interest :)

-Leezer-

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2012, 04:34:49 pm »

How would you suggest doing that?

Unfortunately, it would be very difficult.  Though, I agree.  We are probably the wrong people to ask in the long-run.

Short term, we're your primary evangelists, so it is good to know where we stand.  But long-term, we're a group of users who are (obviously) already interested in a Windows-exclusive software product.  A few of us are also Mac users, but we certainly aren't core Mac users.

Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence at all.  However, I'll still tell you this...

I've been trying for years with LOTS of my friends to evangelize MC.  Almost every time someone new comes over to my house, and I fire up Theater View to play some music or a movie or whatever, I get "oohs and ahhs" and questions about the software that drives it.  I always explain.

Of my Windows-using friends (probably something like a 50/50 split), I have one guy that has long been interested, but won't pay the $50 when "iTunes and VLC is good enough".  He totally agrees that MC is WAY better (and really wants JRemote now that it does streaming), but...  He's using a $600 laptop from two years ago.  He doesn't have a HTPC, and he just doesn't spend much money on software unless he absolutely has to to accomplish the goal.  This is typical.  People are interested, but they don't have decent hardware, and...  Everyone else drops their interest immediately when they find out the price.

Of my Mac-using friends, I've only once heard someone grumble about the price.  I've gotten a bunch of "that's all?" style responses, and "Man, I wish they had a Mac version, I'd buy that in a heartbeat."  I explain (and demo) that they can use it with Parallels and a Win7 VM, but that usually generates frowns.  That takes the price up to several hundred dollars, if you don't otherwise need the Windows license or VM software, and it is still a little fidgety in a few ways.  Plus, you need to run Windows, and most of them really, really don't want to for their own reasons.

Apple doesn't sell $450 netbooks.  The worst machine they sell right now (the low-end Mac Mini) still has a 2.3GHz Core i5 Sandy Bridge, and almost all of my friends who have Macs have $1k+ laptops (and nice home theater setups at home now that they already use with their laptops).  It is a different market, and they're less price-conscious by default, or else they wouldn't have chosen an Apple.

And, I think, they're trained by all the other Mac developers out there that software costs money.  When you're a graphic designer trying to figure out how to scrape together $1500 for the latest version of Adobe Creative Suite, or even $200 for Lightroom, the price for MC and the functionality it provides "feels" like a bargain.

Plus, almost every single one of them I've ever talked to loathes iTunes, and really wishes for an integrated solution that handles audio and video, just like what I have, to use with their home theater systems and HDTVs at home, and on their laptops when they travel.

But, to be clear, when I said I would "sell" a few extra copies to friends, I'm not even counting these people.  For that, I'm talking about copies we'd buy here at the office.  We'd buy those in a heartbeat.

There is this though...

Also, would this mean MC could sync with the iPad/iPhone?

I know you can't (easily) make MC sync directly with iOS devices.  But it would need a better sync solution for these devices, because I can't think of a single one of the people I described above that don't also carry an iPhone.  I think using iTunes as a handheld, similar to Prod's plugin, but less clunky and integrated is the best choice.

It can be a "we're working on it" thing, and it doesn't need to be perfect at first, but something that allows them to add iTunes as a "handheld" and then just sync to it like they would sync to any other handheld in MC directly would be key.

But, I also think this would appeal to people like Joshua Topolsky, who use a Mac and an Android device, of course.  I've heard him, in particular, complain incessantly on the Verge podcast about the crappy sync solutions available for Android phones.  That'd be some real exposure there.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up