INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MyMovies and MC17  (Read 9951 times)

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
MyMovies and MC17
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:51:23 pm »

We all know that the mymovies.xml file is now encrypted and a request has been made to Brian Binnerup to add support for JRiver MC17 especially since M$ will not be including the Windows Media Center in Windows 8 as default.

For Brian to think about this he needs feedback and requests from users and has hinted that it may require 500 points for him to do it as JRiver MC17 is a commercial product.

I for one would love to be able to import my MyMovies collection into MC17 as JRiverSidecar files.

If you can spare a minute and have a look at this thread and show your support. http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=30036

Thanks and fingers crossed that we can persuade him to add support for MC17.

John

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MyMovies and MC17
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 01:19:20 pm »

That is promising news. I have added my support to the thread.

TLS

_mulder

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:44:26 pm »

I also added my support for this feature to be implemented.

jreigner

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 03:22:22 pm »

I sure hope this doesn't happen. I came back to MC to get away from mymovies. It left little bs files all over my drives. I realize it is an option, but why not focus on skins or something else. The current movie support in MC is better than mymovies IMHO right now anyhow.

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 03:39:21 pm »

I thought this was already happening. On the latest My Movies preview, if you the points, you can unencrypt it. Only difference is the unencrypted file is 'movies.xml' instead of 'mymovies.xml'. Maybe My Movies hasn't finalized this yet though.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 03:51:58 pm »

I was running MC and MyMovies together for a while (a year probably), but there really isn't much need to anymore. With the last 20 or 30 MC updates things are working real nice. I agree that MyMovies has a nice TV show scraping service - but IMO not nice enough to warrant running/maintaining two programs.
I don't object to the flexibilty of having MYMovies play nicely with MC, and I will ask Brian to support MC, but I don't plan to go back to it.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 04:10:23 pm »

Having this as an option is a good idea. No one has to use it, but for those that want to,,,,well there it is. It's another feature for people to use, which in turn puts JRiver even further onto the HTPC map. JRiver doesn't have to support or maintain it, since this is not a JRiver app. So that leaves Matt and Jim in the clear. If anyone has any issues they can go to the MyMovies forum for answers.

Jimmy
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Re: Re: MyMovies and MC17
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 04:45:57 pm »

Another way this would help promote JRiver as a HTC is for the users who already use Windows Media Centre and have an existing MyMovies database. By having it create the JRiver sidecar files the importing of movies for new users would be a lot smoother and not a big jump.

filupmarley

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:21:59 pm »

This would be fantastic. I added my support as well.

JoeBlow42069

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 02:35:06 am »

Please support My Movies w/ MC.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 08:08:21 am »

Great news.

Brian has added it to the new version due shortly.

"We are not just considering.

This have been added to the next Pre Release.

We followed the limited specifications we could find, and there might be changes needed, however it have been added."

Link to original post http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=30036

JimH,Matt is there any further info available for Brian in the JRSidecar format.

John

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 11:25:36 am »

That is great news!!!

TLS

MrHaugen

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 11:31:42 am »

Yea. That's good news. I used to use MyMovies before. But after MC was able to do most of the Meta data it self, I dropped it.

How would MyMovies work together with auto import of MC17? MC can import it right away, but you could use MyMovies as a batch Meta Data update tool, and MC would update it through the sidecar files, right?
How is MyMovies actually handling new movies? Can it be done automatically, or with limited user interaction? This is the only gripe I had with this app before I think.

One advantage of using MyMovies as I see it, is that you can download much more meta data. Like Actor Biography, probably IMDB rating and so on. You can also access the MyMovie DB through web and android/apple devices. So, if this works well together, I think I'll brush the dust of my old license.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 04:12:57 pm »

New pre release out with JRiver support. http://www.mymovies.dk/download/collection-management.aspx

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 05:32:55 am »

WeeHappyPixie,

I see from the My Movies forum that you got this to work. I have installed the latest pre-release and My Movies and purchased 500 points, but I don't get any JRiver sidecar files saved next to my movies. I have the option enabled in My Movies settings.

Can you list the name of the file My Movies writes and that JRiver can read?

I did a clean up of the folder with the movie, so that only the movie was left and no other files. Only the encrypted My Movies XML file was in the folder after I did a save from My Movies. Could it be that you had old JRiver sidecar files stored in your movie folders and that was what MC picked up when you re-imported your movies?

TLS

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 12:49:23 pm »

Hi, don't have access to a pc at present however I selected JRiver in MyMovies then I used the option in MyMovies to rewrite the MyMovies meta data which created the JRiver sidecar xml files. Will take some screen grabs when I get back to my pc.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 01:40:00 pm »

Thanks! I appreciate it.

TLS

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 06:45:07 pm »

I am a previous user of MM and have 2500 points (I believe). Have not been using it since MC has integrated metadata collection. But since the MM data is so good I was happy to hear that it would become integrated with MC.

Now that I'm thinking of trying it with MC I think I see a glitch. If I recall correctly all movies must be in separate folders for MM to function. MC no longer uses a folder structure. So will I have to create separate folders for every movie and move the various files into the appropriate folder? We have about 700 movies and most are not in folders so this task would be too big for the benefits of using MM.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks,
Rod

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 10:03:14 pm »

If your metadata is correct it would take only a few moments to use the move/rename tool within MC to have it move all selected files to an appropriately named directory.

Craig

NickF

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 08:15:32 am »

New pre release out with JRiver support. http://www.mymovies.dk/download/collection-management.aspx

Thanks to John and all involved in making this happen.

I have updated the MyMovies section in the wiki with some simple instructions for setting this up.  Let me know if I they need changing.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 08:34:28 am »

If your metadata is correct it would take only a few moments to use the move/rename tool within MC to have it move all selected files to an appropriately named directory.

Craig

Thanks for the suggestion. But wont I still have to manually create the individual directories for each movie?

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 08:37:25 am »

The tool can create directories.  Try a few before you do very many.

NickF

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 08:48:38 am »

Craig

Can someone give us some instructions for this and I'll add them to the wiki.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 08:56:54 am »

Can someone give us some instructions for this and I'll add them to the wiki.

Nick.

Thanks Jim & Nick. I just went to the 'Rename, Move & Copy Files' tool and could not figure out a way to do this. Also checked the WIKI and couldn't find anything on the tool. Must admit that in the past when I have wanted to use the tool for various things I gave up in confusion. Always ended up doing things from Drives & Devices.

Will look forward to some help in the WIKI and or here.

Thanks,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 10:03:26 am »

You have to check the directories option there and then set the two variables:

Base Path:  C:\Video, for example

Rule:  [Year]\[Genre], for example

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 10:07:56 am »

You have to check the directories option there and then set the two variables:

Base Path:  C:\Video, for example

Rule:  [Year]\[Genre], for example

Thanks, Jim.

This would create a separate directory for every movie in the C:\Video folder? And move the movies to their new individual folders?

Rod

NickF

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 10:20:29 am »

Thanks Jim.  I've had a go with some success.  Here's what I did:

Assume all movies are in one folder named C:\Movies with unique name for each movie.  What we want is a new folder with folder name = movie name, e.g. Iron Man.

Select the movie.
Right click and select Library Tools > Rename, Move and Copy Files.
Top left - select "Rename (moves files if directory changes)"
Check Directories
Set Base path to C:\Movies
Set Rule to [Name]
Click OK.

The movie file will be moved to C:\Movies\Iron Man\Iron Man.mkv

You can apply this change to multiple files by selecting multiple files and applying the change.

Nick.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 10:47:11 am »

Thanks Jim.  I've had a go with some success.  Here's what I did:

Assume all movies are in one folder named C:\Movies with unique name for each movie.  What we want is a new folder with folder name = movie name, e.g. Iron Man.

Select the movie.
Right click and select Library Tools > Rename, Move and Copy Files.
Top left - select "Rename (moves files if directory changes)"
Check Directories
Set Base path to C:\Movies
Set Rule to [Name]
Click OK.

The movie file will be moved to C:\Movies\Iron Man\Iron Man.mkv

You can apply this change to multiple files by selecting multiple files and applying the change.

Nick.

Thanks a lot Nick. It sounds as if ALL movies are selected that it would do exactly what we need for MM ie, create separate folders for each movie, and move all related files to those folders.

When I get some time later I'm going to try it out. On a few at first!

Rod

NickF

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 10:52:43 am »

Rod, note that I only checked this with a movie file.  I haven't checked with any related files, e.g. JRSidecar.xml files and cover art.  Let us know how it goes and how you handle these.

Nick.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 12:30:47 pm »

I've been away a long time, and seeing this happening in the My Movies release notes was enough to prompt me to come back and take the MC upgrade offer (I was only on MC16 so not that long!). I've read the wiki instructions and I've no issues with getting the data into MC, but I'm intrigued to see what has been happening in MC over the last year or so that might make the My Movies data more usable in MC.

I'm strictly a Theater View user, and would be interested in how people are displaying TV series in Theater View. Has anyone got close to, or bettered the My Movies interface. I've seen how the standard Theater View structure has been set up but I'm interested to understand how people might have tweaked / replaced that to get a better overall experience, perhaps even similar to the My Movies approach.

It's nice to be back!
Pages: [1]   Go Up