INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Incorrect Metadata and Image for Some Shows  (Read 6095 times)

ghoti

• Recent member
Incorrect Metadata and Image for Some Shows
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:15:01 am »

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.  I have searched for quite a while but couldn't find anything.

At least two of the shows I have in my list show incorrect data and images.  The show Boss with Kelsey Grammer is one of them.  In thetvdb.com, it shows the name as "Boss (2011)" (TVDB ID 249361) and that's what I named my folder.  However, the show that appears in the image and in the descriptions for the shows inside is "Boss" (TVDB ID 97221).

How do I fix it?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Incorrect Metadata and Image for Some Shows
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:45:31 am »

Right click on the file and choose "Get Movie or TV Info".

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:04 am »

Do I have to do that for every file or will it remember that I want "Boss (2011)" in the future when new episodes show up?  If it doesn't remember, is there a way to get it to select the right show as new ones arrive in the folder?  Also, I would assume this doesn't matter, but the file resides on a Linux (Ubuntu Server) server on my network.

The filename is "//ubuntu/tv-new/TV/000Temp/Boss (2011)/Season 02/Boss (2011) - S02E01 - Louder Than Words.mkv".

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 12:31:25 pm »

One more question to add to the those above.

I did as JimH suggested, so the metadata for the file is correct, but the folder in Theater View still shows the wrong show.  How do I fix that one too?

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 04:51:53 am »

Restart client to update the image. If that does not work, go to the cover art directory and change the image manually. You find this location in options.
For example C:\Cover Art\TV Show

Changing the file with the TV Show name, and restarting the client would update the image. Remember to do this on the server if you are using a library server.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:50:20 am »

Restart client to update the image. If that does not work, go to the cover art directory and change the image manually. You find this location in options.
For example C:\Cover Art\TV Show

Changing the file with the TV Show name, and restarting the client would update the image. Remember to do this on the server if you are using a library server.
Okay, thanks, I'll give that a try.

What about new episodes?  Will they all get tagged to the wrong show requiring me to change them or will they get tagged correctly?  If not, then how do I tell JRiver to use the correct show "Boss (2011)" and not "Boss"?

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 01:10:38 pm »

When you correct the show one time manually, MC uses a TVDB id tag to identify the correct show on further lookups. Or something along those lines.
So, no. It should not be necessary to do more manual corrections.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 03:32:35 pm »

MC uses a TVDB id tag to identify the correct show on further lookups. Or something along those lines.

That's exactly what it does. [TVDb ID] is a series-related field, so any new episode added is automatically assigned the same value. If no search will find the desired series (as seems to be the case with The Boss), the problem can only be resolved by getting the ID manually from the website and saving it in [TVDb ID].

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 11:06:03 pm »

That's exactly what it does. [TVDb ID] is a series-related field, so any new episode added is automatically assigned the same value. If no search will find the desired series (as seems to be the case with The Boss), the problem can only be resolved by getting the ID manually from the website and saving it in [TVDb ID].
I would note that had JRiver searched for "Boss (2011)", which is what the directory is named, it would have gotten the correct show.  At least if you enter it in the search field on their website that way, it works.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 12:34:14 am »

I would note that had JRiver searched for "Boss (2011)", which is what the directory is named, it would have gotten the correct show.  At least if you enter it in the search field on their website that way, it works.

The Get Movie and TV Info tool didn't work using 'Boss (2011)' either. I had to provide the ID for it to work. I'm not sure why the result would be different, but the program accesses a database via API, not the website.

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 01:12:54 am »

That's weird, you'd think that the API would work the same...  Maybe there's some trick to get it to recognize the parens.

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 06:09:12 pm »

So, S02E02 of Boss got added to the folder on my hard drive and it got the wrong metadata again (for the old Boss show).  Also, the icon in theater view for the series still shows the older series too.

Can you provide any other suggestions on what I can try?

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 11:01:07 pm »

Did you add the ID to S02E01, and did the file still exist (i.e., you didn't watch and delete) when S02E02 was added? If not, it would no longer have the ID—and fail as it did before.

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 12:59:46 am »

Did you add the ID to S02E01, and did the file still exist (i.e., you didn't watch and delete) when S02E02 was added? If not, it would no longer have the ID—and fail as it did before.
Yeah, it was already watched and deleted.  I guess I misunderstood.  I was not aware that I'd have to leave it around to get future ones identified correctly.

So there's no way for me to tell JRiver what the ID is for "Boss (2011)" and have it remember that without having to keep watched files around?  Assuming that's the case, where do I suggest a new feature to add that?  It seems to me that it's named exactly the same as what tvdb has, so it should be getting identified correctly.  I have like 4-5 shows that this is happening with, and it's something I'd like to see addressed.

NOTE:  I did some digging around on the Internet, and if you go to http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?language=en&seriesname=Boss%20(2011), that returns the correct show information.

rick.ca

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 01:18:04 pm »

So there's no way for me to tell JRiver what the ID is for "Boss (2011)" and have it remember that without having to keep watched files around?

Sorry, I can't fathom why such a system is designed to hide what what it's doing and offer no obvious means for users to handle simple exceptions. And I'm persona non grata for my criticism of such things, so I can't recommend anyone else complain about it. Based on what the developers have said about these issues, I believe every such exception is to be reported as a bug—so the 'black box' can be tweaked to eliminate it. In other words, don't question why it doesn't work or suggest how you think it should. Just report the specific circumstances where it doesn't.

Dirhael

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 11:38:22 am »

There is a way to work around all of this though, and ensure that your imported episodes gets the correct ID no matter what the "Get Movie & TV Info" tool says. I have done this for a few shows, and it works great (even if it's a tiny bit cumbersome to set up initially):

Step 1:
Open Options -> Library & Folders -> Configure auto-import. Mark the entry for your folder containing TV shows and hit Edit. You'll be presented with the usual window for this action, and you'll want to hit Add -> Custom

Step 2:
In the Tag dialogue that pops up, select TheTVDB Series ID...

...and enter the following code*:

If(IsEqual(FileFolder([Filename,0],1),NameOfFolder),123456,[TheTVDB Series ID])

* Change this number to how deep down in the folder hierarchy you have to dig, to find the folder name identifying the show, relative to the episode file. In my example show, the episodes are stored as "Z:\Media\TV Shows\Castle (2009)\Season 1\Castle (2009).S01E01.Flowers For Your Grave.mkv" so for me, the correct number is 1 (0 would be the folder named "Season 1", and 2 would be "TV Shows" etc.).

* This is the name you want matched. In my example image, this would be "Castle (2009)" (note: remember, escape any parenthesis with forward slash. This means typing something like "Castle (2009)" as "Castle /(2009/)").

* The correct TheTVDB series id.

As you can [in this screenshot], all my Castle episodes are now scraped correctly.

The same method can be applied if you want to name the series "correctly" as well (e.g. "Castle (2009)" instead of just "Castle"). If you have more than one show you need to correct the id for this way, just use the IfElse function instead.

EDIT: Fixed image links. This forum software automatically changes "j​rmc" to MC, for some annoying reason.
:: My J​RMC history :: 13>14>15> 16>17>18>19>20>21>23>24>25>26>27>28>29>30>31

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 01:33:15 pm »

There is a way to work around all of this though, and ensure that your imported episodes gets the correct ID no matter what the "Get Movie & TV Info" tool says. I have done this for a few shows, and it works great (even if it's a tiny bit cumbersome to set up initially): ...
Thanks!  Yeah, that does seem kind of cumbersome to do, but if it's the only way to ensure that the shows get tagged correctly, I guess I can manage that.

One question though.  You reference using IfElse.  Would the format for that be as follows?

If(...stuff you included above...)
IfElse(...data associated with a new show...)
IfElse(...yet another show...)

... and so on?

Dirhael

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 02:32:58 pm »

Thanks!  Yeah, that does seem kind of cumbersome to do, but if it's the only way to ensure that the shows get tagged correctly, I guess I can manage that.

One question though.  You reference using IfElse.  Would the format for that be as follows?

If(...stuff you included above...)
IfElse(...data associated with a new show...)
IfElse(...yet another show...)

... and so on?

Not quite. To help you along, here's what I'm using to correct show names, neatly formatted and sorted in my text editor to help you understand how to add your own. Just copy & paste and you're ready to go, unless to have shows to add to the list:
Code: [Select]
IfElse(
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), Castle /(2009/) ), Castle /(2009/),
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), Doctor Who /(2005/) ), Doctor Who /(2005/),
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), Once Upon a Time /(2011/) ), Once Upon a Time /(2011/),
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), The Killing /(2011/) ), The Killing /(2011/),
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), The Office /(UK/) ), The Office /(UK/),
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), Touch /(2012/) ), Touch /(2012/),
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), Upstairs/, Downstairs /(2010/) ), Upstairs/, Downstairs /(2010/),
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), V /(2009/) ), V /(2009/),
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), Wilfred /(US/) ), Wilfred /(US/),
1, [Series]
)

If you have more shows that you wish to add, just keep adding lines (above "1, [Series]") using the same syntax. The following will take care of the theTVDB series id ('though, MC will take care of the correct id by itself after you've corrected it manually once, as long as the show name is correct...but it's nice to be 100% safe anyway):
Code: [Select]
IfElse(
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), Castle /(2009/) ), 83462,
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), Doctor Who /(2005/) ), 78804,
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), Once Upon a Time /(2011/) ), 248835,
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), The Killing /(2011/) ), 210171,
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), The Office /(UK/) ), 78107,
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), Touch /(2012/) ), 248935,
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), Upstairs/, Downstairs /(2010/) ), 214921,
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), V /(2009/) ), 94971,
IsEqual( FileFolder( [Filename,0],1 ), Wilfred /(US/) ), 239761,
1, [TheTVDB Series ID]
)

Same as for the names, just keep adding lines. Hope this takes care of things for you! :)
:: My J​RMC history :: 13>14>15> 16>17>18>19>20>21>23>24>25>26>27>28>29>30>31

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 05:40:53 pm »

Not quite. To help you along, here's what I'm using to correct show names, neatly formatted and sorted in my text editor to help you understand how to add your own. Just copy & paste and you're ready to go, unless to have shows to add to the list: ...
Thanks!  BTW, you and I have pretty similar tastes in shows... :)

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 04:00:23 pm »

Not quite. To help you along, here's what I'm using to correct show names, neatly formatted and sorted in my text editor to help you understand how to add your own. Just copy & paste and you're ready to go, unless to have shows to add to the list...
I made the changes, but it didn't seem to change things for any of my shows.  Boss still shows the old show instead of Boss (2011).  Do I need to "rescan" or something?  If so, how do I do that?

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 03:33:06 pm »

I made the changes, but it didn't seem to change things for any of my shows.  Boss still shows the old show instead of Boss (2011).  Do I need to "rescan" or something?  If so, how do I do that?
This stupid wrong picture for the Boss (2011) series (folder icon for series) is still there, even after clearing my library out completely and re-importing everything.  So what am I missing?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 03:49:59 pm »

This stupid wrong picture for the Boss (2011) series (folder icon for series) is still there, even after clearing my library out completely and re-importing everything.  So what am I missing?

Make sure the correct image, with the same name as the series, is in:
[JRiver Cover Art Folder]\Series

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up