INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to get MC system working nicely with XBox - Remote control issues  (Read 5190 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Both the XBox and MC use the same remote commands.  Looking for a better way for both to play nicely together.  If I leave MC running when using the XBox to watch TV (CableCard MCE setup), then navigating/playing TV shows makes random things happen in MC.  Right now I have MC shut down when not in use, but I would really prefer to keep it running where it left off.

Is there anyway to do the following?:
Send a command to MC to have it ignore inputs from the remote until it gets that or another specific command?
Barring that, shut down MC with one command (currently takes sending Alt-F4 twice to exit completely from Theater View)?

If no way to do this out of the box, is there any third party software that can set to ignore IR inputs based on one IR command and then re-enable them based on another?

Any other suggestions for a good way to handle?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Move the IR receivers far enough apart that it's clear where you intend the commands to go.
or
Put the PC to sleep when you don't need it.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

Move the IR receivers far enough apart that it's clear where you intend the commands to go.
or
Put the PC to sleep when you don't need it.

Unfortunately, IR is too non-directional for that.  If I put the PC to sleep, there is no way to wake it up via IR.

Edit:
What about using the remote setup in MC to learn totally different IR commands for each action from a device not in that room.  Would that possibly work?

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..

Is your remote for the xbox a Windows Media center one or xbox. If xbox then go into settings on the xbox and you will find a remote option that tells the xbox if it will accept xbox remote only or mce commands. Not near my xbox so can't tell you exactly what screen its on but you will find it easily.

John

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

Is your remote for the xbox a Windows Media center one or xbox. If xbox then go into settings on the xbox and you will find a remote option that tells the xbox if it will accept xbox remote only or mce commands. Not near my xbox so can't tell you exactly what screen its on but you will find it easily.

John

I was looking at that.  Need to test out the 'xbox remote only' when using the xbox as a media extender.  May mean reprogramming my remote, but would be worth it if it solves the issue.

Edit:  Looks like this is just what I need.  Problem is that the downstairs remote is set up with the XBox as a media center.  Upstairs the XBox is setup on the remote as an XBox.  Upstairs does what I want (don't usually use a remote with the XBox on that system), downstairs just needs to have the remote reprogrammed so that HTPC = MCE remote and XBox = XBox remote.
Pages: [1]   Go Up