INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't play 24-bit / 96 kHz / 6 ch flac [Solved] - Revisited [Solved!]  (Read 15007 times)

GaryWW

• World Citizen

It was probably inevitable but the problem is back.  :'(

Ref. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73905.0

After getting the kinks worked out, I decided to install an SSD into the media center computer. After reading recommendations to perform a fresh Windows 7 installation, rather than cloning the platter drive, that's what I did. And why not, it appeared that the GT430 video card and the latest Nvidia drivers fixed the original problem. Guess again.

Windows 7 updates are all up-to-date, the latest Nvidia drivers are installed. I don't know where to look/what to look at. Any suggestions? BTW, I have swapped the drives and the audio does work as desired with the platter drive installed (so I wasn't dreaming - proof is attached :) ).

If I really have to, I will clone the platter drive to the SSD but I'd really like to know what's going on here/what I am missing.

Thanks,
Gary

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't play 24-bit / 96 kHz / 6 ch flac [Solved] - Revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:53:53 am »

As always with such problems:
- Install the latest drivers, directly from nvidia.com, NOT from Windows Update
- Use WASAPI - Event Style
- Check the "Present 24-bit in a 32-bit package" checkbox in the WASAPI output settings (wording of the option may vary, citing from memory)

This should be all thats required to get 24-bit to properly output on an NVIDIA GPU.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

GaryWW

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:02:15 am »

As always with such problems:
- Install the latest drivers, directly from nvidia.com, NOT from Windows Update
- Use WASAPI - Event Style
- Check the "Present 24-bit in a 32-bit package" checkbox in the WASAPI output settings (wording of the option may vary, citing from memory)

This should be all thats required to get 24-bit to properly output on an NVIDIA GPU.

- Confirmed
- Confirmed
- Confirmed

And 6ch still won't play. See attachments.

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:15:52 am »

Sounds frustrating >:(
Do you know if you have the exact same driver versions as when it was working?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

GaryWW

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 10:39:11 am »

Well that's the thing, all of the Sound, video and game controllers drivers are the same (and the latest) so it must be something else. But what? For example, the system that works doesn't have CloneDriver installed but the other system does (did) so I uninstalled it but it didn't have any effect. I swap drives and it works with one but not the other - so I assume it's not BIOS related.

The installed drivers don't seem to be the issue so maybe something is, or isn't, installed/the same between the two systems - which there are probably lots since one system was newly created and will not have, for example, some older Windows updates that the older system will have.

BTW, I cloned the platter drive (which has the functioning audio) to another SSD and although I haven't tested it much, it seems to have been successful. So I do have a functioning system but I would still like to try and understand what's going on with the system with the non-functioning audio.

GaryWW

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 08:37:00 pm »

Something interesting happened today.

I am using the SSD that I cloned from the platter drive from which MC was able to play 24-bit / 96 kHz / 6 ch flac. No problems with MC on the SSD. The original problem I had was on another computer (Dell) and that's why I tried another computer (and then upgraded the hard drive). I had customized MC (Theater View and added a few tags), on the Dell, and I didn't want to have to reapply the customization so I restored the Library from the Dell. Guess what, the problem returned! When I restored the Library from a prior backup, the problem disappeared. I'm thinking the problem is MC related rather than with drivers or some other software.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 11:07:09 pm »

I would check all the audio settings and DSP parameters in both librarys and see if they match exactly...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

GaryWW

• World Citizen
Re: Can't play 24-bit / 96 kHz / 6 ch flac [Solved] - Revisited [Solved!]
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 08:09:55 am »

So there were some differences (obviously). I compared them and started changing the Dell's MC settings to match the DIY's MC settings. After each change, I retested the audio. Eventually, Success!  ;D The culprit was the WASAPI Setting: Buffering value. 250 milliseconds  :(, 100 milliseconds  :).

kensn

• MC Beta Team
Re: Can't play 24-bit / 96 kHz / 6 ch flac [Solved] - Revisited [Solved!]
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 09:10:34 am »

Excellent.. nice find..

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)
Pages: [1]   Go Up