INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center v18 Development Update  (Read 9240 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center v18 Development Update
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:05:08 am »

We are working hard to get Media Center 18 ready for public beta. We're still a little bit away, but we thought you might like an update about how it's going.

For anyone not familiar with our development model, we spend about one year building each version.  v17 is our stable, state-of-the-art player and will remain the recommended download for many months.  During that time, we will be working on v18.  We are now 40 builds into v18 (by comparison, there have been 185 builds of v17).

Remember that if you purchase or upgrade to v17 now, you receive a free license to v18.  And thanks to everyone that has already taken advantage of this offer!  More on upgrading here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73515.0

Some of the early work on v18 was The Source.  This was work to get ready for the Mac release coming later this year.  The hard part of this work is behind us, and the result is a framework that's faster on all platforms.

Noteworthy improvements already coded into v18 include:
  • Car Radio, a simple way to save and play your favorite music.
  • Improved video playback on Android using Gizmo (MP4 format, selectable quality, lower bandwidth requirements, no Flash required).
  • Native AIFF encoding.  ALAC coming next.
  • Improved on screen display (OSD) used to select languages, subtitles, and more during playback.
  • Playback of live television on clients.
  • Better video playback on DLNA devices that support time-based seeking (PS3, Sony TVs, etc.).
  • Core performance improvements, including smoother scrolling lists, faster text drawing, and faster user interface rendering in general.
  • Improved audio loopback playback that supports more hardware and any DSP, including convolution.
  • Improvements to online metadata, including better TheMovieDB support, World Weather Online, and more.
  • Adaptive volume for video playback (for nighttime listening, or getting more volume from laptop speakers).

Some of the improvements that will be coming soon:
  • The ability to save and load DSP and other playback settings, and apply them based on what you play.
  • Theater View will optionally fade away some text to prevent plasma burn-in.
  • Media Center will be able to automatically change your desktop background periodically using images of your choosing.

And many more feature requests for things that should come next are here (your feedback welcome):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73519.0

Thanks everyone for all your continued support.

Now to get back to work on v18!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Media Center v18 Development Update
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:38:37 am »

In another thread, the user jack wallstreet did a nice job explaining how we do development here.  It's similar to the post above, but still worth reading if you're new here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73965.msg503733#msg503733

Thanks to Jack for the post.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 01:11:48 pm »

• The ability to save and load DSP and other playback settings, and apply them based on what you play.
All the improvements are great and I look forward to the first beta release.

This particular point, will it be playlist-based or song-based? Can you tell anything on how it will work?

Thanks Matt!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 01:14:38 pm »

This particular point, will it be playlist-based or song-based? Can you tell anything on how it will work?

Since it's in the 'coming soon' column, I don't know exactly what it will look like.

But the basic idea is that it will be rule based and evaluated each song.  So you'll be able to say something like "Load these settings if the genre is classical, and load these settings if it's a movie." 

The settings could be something as simple as an equalizer curve, or something as complicated as the output device, bitstreaming setting, aspect ratio handling, and everything else that's zone specific.

vulture_g7

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:47:54 am »

@Matt

just an idea I have about implementing the DSP profiles: Maybe a new tag could be created called DSP and, depending on its value, the relevant profile would be loaded eg if a song has a tag of "Classical music" , the profile "classical music.dsp" would be loaded or if the tag had the value "Dio - We rock" then the "dio - we rock.dsp" file would be loaded. If left blank, obviously, no dsp profile would be active - the same if the tag doesn't match an existing dsp file. Apparently, that means that a global directory containing all the .dsp files should be present. Also, whatever implementation method you choose, I believe it's crucial that a global "DSP profiles enable/disable" switch should be present in options. Just my 2 cents :)

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
  • I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 02:56:11 pm »

Hey Matt, please bring back that cute dog avatar.  I feel bad for your shoes, but I liked the dog.

Martin166

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 05:43:27 pm »

I want DSP-presets (youŽll find this feature in a professional DAW like Samplitude or Cubase) that contain:

1. the FX-chain or in other words the FX-routing (for MC-effects and VST-plugins)!

2. the specific settings for each of the MC-effects and VST-plugins!!!

3. the ability to save this preset file!

If MC brings on this feature IŽll immediately buy it, because this feature makes the player become a really serious tool for watching concert videos! :-*

Frederic Vandeputte

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 07:19:40 am »

I want DSP-presets (youŽll find this feature in a professional DAW like Samplitude or Cubase) that contain:

1. the FX-chain or in other words the FX-routing (for MC-effects and VST-plugins)!

If MC brings on this feature IŽll immediately buy it, because this feature makes the player become a really serious tool for watching concert videos! :-*

+1 What he said :D

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 10:39:41 pm »

I have a library of blu-ray concert videos saved as mkv. The audio is lossless multichannel but the mix quality is extremely variable. A preset keyed to the video or a particle (chapter) of it would be great.

Martin166

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 05:36:44 am »

Hello everybody at JRiver MC,
what about my request? Is it implemented by now??

Martin166

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 04:36:33 pm »

Does no answer mean the answer "no"?  :(

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 04:54:19 pm »

This isn't the most appropriate place to ask.  Try starting a new thread with a descriptive subject line.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up