INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Editing Playlists On the Server While A Client Is Connected = Crazy?  (Read 9024 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I had some serious problems with my iTunes syncing Playlists over the weekend which took a while to sort out.

It related to the Play Doctor list obliteration I reported over here.  As I mentioned in that thread, I went through and fixed them all.  While I was at it, I fixed some other small issues with my playlists used to sync MC over to iTunes so that I can sync our iOS devices.

The next day, I tried to sync my wife's phone to iTunes.  I noticed immediately that one of those fancy Shuffles suddenly contained every track in my Library, rather than the 100 Play Doctor generated tracks it was supposed to contain.  I went and looked at my Playlists, and I noticed all sorts of craziness.  All of the lists that I fixed were there, but all the Playlist is all [Some List] references were blanked out (replaced with a broken Playlist expression thing).  And, my main "All Worthwhile Music" list (which contains all the music I want to sync over to iTunes, and which I'd tweaked) was still there, but there was also a new Smartlist (called New Playlist) next to it which had no filters at all, and so contained all the video, images, and audio in my Library.  Any Smartlist I had that referenced the All Worthwhile Music smartlist also had their Playlist is any X settings lost completely (which, in most cases, caused them to show all files in the Library).  Nothing actually referenced this New Playlist, but it was sitting there in my Playlists\iTunes Lists\Automatic Lists\ folder, and all the references I did have to things in that folder were broken.

Same goes for the Handheld Sync options.  In there, that New Playlist was checked, and my All Worthwhile Music list was unchecked.

I never manually created that list, and I certainly never checked it in the Handheld Sync options.

I deleted it, fixed my lists (again), and resynced.  Everything looked fine for a few minutes, but then while I was still sitting there tagging some other files, I saw this same New Playlist item reappear.  I quickly went in and checked my other Smartlists, and they were again all broken.  This same thing repeated a number of times.

After much experimentation, I discovered that this was because the HTPC upstairs was connected to the Server while I was making these changes (my wife was watching TV).  If I closed the client upstairs, and then fixed everything, then it "stuck".  But as soon as I opened up the client and left it running upstairs, any changes made to my Playlists downstairs turned all crazy.  It looks like, technically, that:

1. New playlists do get saved.
2. Playlists cannot be deleted reliably, nor can they be moved from one folder to another.
3. Playlist to Playlist references (Playlist is any X or Playlist is not X, for example) get broken if they're changed in any way, even the ways that normally "automatically fix themselves" (like moving a playlist from one folder to another, or renaming an existing one).
4. If a Playlist has a reference to another Playlist that is broken by #3, then MC will create this "blank" New Playlist to fill the void (but then doesn't actually link it, as the links are still broken).

To be clear, this all applies when making the changes on the server (not from the clients).  The Library Sync merging is getting all out of whack.

I remember something similar with MC17 in the early days.  I suspect this might have something to do with the Playing Now saving system, which has changed.  Not sure, but it is all broken currently.  Right now, the ONLY way to do Playlist management of any kind on MC is to do it with all Clients disconnected and shut down.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Long-distance bump...

This is still an issue, and it is pretty frustrating and makes me afraid to use Smartlists in some situations.

Other reports:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89402.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89307.msg613241#msg613241

Hendrik

• Administrator

This annoyed me as well quite a bit, but I didn't get a chance yet to see how the playlist sync works. Maybe I'll give it a look next week finally.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Mars

• World Citizen

1. New playlists do get saved.
2. Playlists cannot be deleted reliably, nor can they be moved from one folder to another.
3. Playlist to Playlist references (Playlist is any X or Playlist is not X, for example) get broken if they're changed in any way, even the ways that normally "automatically fix themselves" (like moving a playlist from one folder to another, or renaming an existing one).
4. If a Playlist has a reference to another Playlist that is broken by #3, then MC will create this "blank" New Playlist to fill the void (but then doesn't actually link it, as the links are still broken).

To be clear, this all applies when making the changes on the server (not from the clients).  The Library Sync merging is getting all out of whack.

I remember something similar with MC17 in the early days.  I suspect this might have something to do with the Playing Now saving system, which has changed.  Not sure, but it is all broken currently.  Right now, the ONLY way to do Playlist management of any kind on MC is to do it with all Clients disconnected and shut down.

I can confirm this. A workaround would be much appreciated.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

+1

This happens to all of my smartlists if I accidentally edit one while a library client is connected.

Annoying to say the least.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 08:26:42 am »

I have experienced this as well.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: Editing Playlists On the Server While A Client Is Connected = Crazy?
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 09:51:01 am »

Bump.

Still can't edit or create a smartlist that refers to playlists when a library client is connected.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 07:33:51 pm »

glynor

• MC Beta Team

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 07:40:22 pm »

Lovely...

Since I almost ALWAYS have a client connected, that is a serious issue.  The HTPC downstairs is permanently connected to MC - that is the only program that machine runs.  Guess I have to just never do maintenance during hours when the family is awake, which means it will almost never happen :(.

seantrow

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 06:55:25 pm »

+1, I have been having this problem for months without realizing what was going on.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 02:57:11 pm »

This is of renewed relevance with Doctor Who.  I had a Doctor Who playlist that I couldn't seem to delete no matter where I deleted it, and then I (re)found this thread, and ultimately got it removed, but had to shut down everything (Madagascar-style) to do it.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 11:44:13 pm »

I mentioned this back on the 1st of June, in the "original thread", but I think it got lost in the noise...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 09:16:24 am »

Bump for MC21.  ;)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 09:59:44 am »

Bump. This is the biggest bug in MC, IMO.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 10:28:38 am »

+1 Count me onboard with this request too.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 09:53:58 am »

So, what you are saying is, I should fix this?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 10:24:43 am »

So, what you are saying is, I should fix this?

That would be swell.  ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 03:11:47 pm »

Please note: Marko provided crucial information on how to work around this sync issue in another thread. See:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102410.msg710509#msg710509

Pages: [1]   Go Up