INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with Audioquest Dragonfly DAC  (Read 14371 times)

San66

Issues with Audioquest Dragonfly DAC
« on: November 10, 2012, 07:44:25 am »

Hi
I suspect this is most likely an issue with the Dragonfly itself, but thought I would post my particular problem here in case someone can assist...

I am currently trialling an Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC.

I am using it on a Windows 7 PC, using J River Media Centre 18 configured to output to the dragonfly via "WASAPI - Event Style" - which is recommended on every forum I have reviewed.

1. When I play a 16 bit 41kHz flac file (2 channel), the dragonfly is green and I get sound to the headphones plugged in. Good.
2. When I play a 24 bit 48kHz flac file (6 channel downmixed to 2 channel by jriver), the dragonfly is blue and I get NO sound to the headphones plugged in. Bad
3. When I play a 24 bit 96kHz flac file (6 channel downmixed to 2 channel by jriver), the dragonfly is pink and I get NO sound to the headphones plugged in. Bad

It would appear that jriver is outputting the correct data to the dragonfly as it is changing colours depending on what kHz file is sent to it.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

Cheers

sirganty

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Issues with Audioquest Dragonfly DAC
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:59:23 pm »

I've not noticed anything like this with my dragonfly, but I haven't got any multichannel flacs to test for you.

All I know is 24/96 2 channels works no problem, and multichannel dts-hd is downmixing to 2-channel fine too.

Sorry that wasn't much help, but if you want me to try anything else (for comparison / to ensure it's not specific to your set up), I'm more than happy to give it a go.

TrackerJack

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 09:48:32 pm »

I suspect this is most likely an issue with the Dragonfly itself, but thought I would post my particular problem here in case someone can assist...

I am using it on a Windows 7 PC, using J River Media Centre 18 configured to output to the dragonfly via "WASAPI - Event Style" - which is recommended on every forum I have reviewed.

1. When I play a 16 bit 41kHz flac file (2 channel), the dragonfly is green and I get sound to the headphones plugged in. Good.
2. When I play a 24 bit 48kHz flac file (6 channel downmixed to 2 channel by jriver), the dragonfly is blue and I get NO sound to the headphones plugged in. Bad
3. When I play a 24 bit 96kHz flac file (6 channel downmixed to 2 channel by jriver), the dragonfly is pink and I get NO sound to the headphones plugged in. Bad

It would appear that jriver is outputting the correct data to the dragonfly as it is changing colours depending on what kHz file is sent to it.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

Just purchased a DragonFly and have it set up with JRiver 18 on a Windows 7 computer using ASIO4ALL as recommended in a recent The Absolute Sound follow up article on the DragonFly.  My issue is similar to San66.  I've done a little more testing and have the following to add.  I have tried 16/44.1kHz, 16/48kHz, 16/88.2kHz, 16/96kHz, 24/44.1kHz, 24/48kHz, 24/88.2kHz and 24/96kHz files to test the DragonFly / JRiver set up.

The DragonFly will light up correctly with each resolution fed to it.  It however will ONLY pass audio when 44.1kHz or 88.2kHz files are fed to it.  48kHz and 96kHz files will not come through at all.

When I change settings in JRiver Audio Options under DSP so any file that goes in as 48kHz is down converted to 44.1kHz and any 96kHz file is down converted to 88kHz, everything plays fine.

I've changed driver selections from ASIO4ALL to everything else in JRiver (always restarting the program and the DragonFly after changes have been made) and it makes no difference.  I've tested the DragonFly on two other computers with JRiver 18 and get the exact same result.  I've messaged Audioquest on Dec. 12, 2012 about this and have yet to hear back.

Not sure this is a JRiver issue or Audioquest issue.  Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 06:36:29 am »

ASIO4ALL is a wrapper for Kernel Streaming.  Audioquest should have good instructions for setup.

TrackerJack

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:06:14 pm »

Well, problem solved!  It was a defective DragonFly.  Exchanged the bad one for new and tested with JRiver 18 and ASIO4ALL and it worked perfectly on all resolutions.  There was also an intermittent crackling in the audio of the defective unit that some on this thread have posted about; thinking it was a connection problem.  This issue evidently was noticed by several users of early manufactured units.  The latest batch of DragonFly DACs do not seem to have this problem and the one I got today proved that.

So, check your DF thoroughly and exchange it right away if it doesn't perform as advertised.

Pages: [1]   Go Up