INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound problem with USB DAC  (Read 3980 times)

Jesteban

Sound problem with USB DAC
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:05:13 pm »

I have tried with the old and new downloader and have encountered the same problems and frustrations that many as far as slow and incomplete downloads but I can live with that. what I have not been able to resolve is the fact that the sound is scrambled via DAC despite that the blue light is on indicating correct bits etc (24/96). However if I play in zone HT via pre-pro, I can hear the music perfectly, no scramble.
I have checked my settings for zone 1 (designed for DAC) many times and everything seems correct.

Any suggestions?. Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sound problem with USB DAC
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 12:12:56 pm »

Welcome.  Please try this topic:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings

Jesteban

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 01:49:08 pm »

Thanks very much for your prompt response. I have your recommended settings and I have also tried variations thereof (I think I have tried just about everything!!!) to no avail. I don't want to get so frustrated to abandon the entire thing but I feel I am getting there.
My DAC is a Classe P800, would that help you to figure out where the problem may be?

thanks again

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 02:23:34 pm »

Did you follow the step by step guide for JRiver that is provided by Classe? The guide states this at the beginning:

One of the best known Windows based media players is JRiver. This media player is capable of excellent performance and has an enviable reputation amongst audiophiles.

http://www.classeaudio.com/downloads/pdfs/CP-800-AppleWindowsGuide-final.pdf

Basically it says to set the bitdepth in Output Format to 24 bits and use WASAPI - Event Style output in Tools > Options > Audio.

Jesteban

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 03:24:32 pm »

Yes, indeed. That is my set up. But keep in mind that my only problem is the HD from HD Tranks. My ripped CC's, DVD, etc sound very well and I have no problem whatsoever with JRiver which, I agree with Classe, it is a wonderful media player.
The issue may not be JRiver but the support fron HD TRacks is essentially non-exitent. Classe has suggested to go back to the original firmware (V1.01) but that is the one that I have so that is not the issue.....
Of interest is that I can play those files if I route via the HT Pre-Pro connected to the Classe by HT bypass analogue. That could be OK with me if was not because the quality of the Pre-pro is far inferior to the Classe.
One of those misteries of the electronic world. Anyway, any other suggestions will be appreciated.

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:16:12 pm »

Many older USB dacs do not support 88k and most will not support 176k without driver download... [at least on Windows machines]
Many files on HDtracks are in those two as they were ripped from SACDs...

You have indicated that the DAC shows 24/96... so that may be a problem...
JRiver on Silent/Fanless STREACOM FC5 EVO -> DSD through Firewire on Mytek 192 DSD -> CODA 05r pre/CODA 10.5 amp -> Sonics Amerigo Speakers

Jesteban

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 12:38:38 am »

I wish that that was the case but Classe CP800 is fairly new. It has the drivers for 24/96 and I have followed their recommendations regarding the set up for JRiver. Unfortunately it does not work. I am lost as what else to try.
If any of you have a smilar set up (it seems that is related to HD Tracks and Classe more so than JRiver), please let me know your settings. I suspect that, after all, it is something simple that I am missing. Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up