INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last.fm is changing to a new protocol Dec 1. Will it break J River Media Center?  (Read 3799 times)

Supersnake

• World Citizen

We're writing you to let you know that there will soon be a change to Last.fm radio that may affect you. Our stats show that you've listened to radio through an application that uses our old streaming protocol. On 1 December we will deprecate this old protocol, so in some applications radio will no longer work.

If you would like to continue enjoying Last.fm Radio, consider upgrading to a new application or using http://www.last.fm/listen

Thanks,
The Last.fm Team

Have received the above email from Last.fm.
My only clients that use Last.fm are J River Media Center and Foobar.  

Hopefully Media Center will still be working with Last.fm on December lst?

Supersnake

• World Citizen

Update

Found this posted by a Last.fm staff member on the Last.fm forum.

================================================================

Staff
 9 Nov 2012, 03:11

Radio API update

In March 2009 we released a fully documented and supported radio API. At the time we said that we were going to turn off the old, undocumented and unsupported API within "weeks". For a number of reasons weeks turned into years but we have now seen the vast majority of our radio traffic move off the old API onto the new one. Due to the complexity and costs of supporting multiple versions of the API we have decided that the costs of maintaining the old API now outweigh the benefits of keeping it around for a minority of users and therefore we plan to turn if off on December 1 2012. This means that any old applications or libraries still using the previous API will no longer be able to stream radio from Last.fm unless they are updated to use the new API. Please note that only subscribers are allowed to stream radio via the API - we need the money to cover the associated royalty costs.

More information on the radio API is here:

http://www.last.fm/api/radio

We are trying to contact the developers of applications directly but many of these applications are also old and unsupported and don't properly identify themselves when calling our API so it's not easy to track them all down. If anyone has any questions or comments or needs more information, let us know.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

I think we're already on the new API. 

I'm going from memory (we did the switch at v15), but I remember thinking Last.fm had done a nice job of building and documenting their API.  And the API here seems to match what we used then: http://www.last.fm/api/radio

If you have problems after December 1, just post and we'll get it worked out.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Supersnake

• World Citizen

Thanks for the confidence building reply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up