INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Opinion  (Read 4478 times)

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Remote Opinion
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:38:22 pm »

Probably should use bitremote until My River and JRemote get the bugs worked out.
They both have excellent products, but are both experiencing connect problems, etc.
BitRemote has been out longer and does work to select music by playlist or search and does it very well. 
You do not get lyrics, Bio, etc from BitRemote, but it works.
I have all three products and am very impressed with them, but also frustrated with My River and JRemote.
My Remote has everything I could ask for in a remote, including search results with song and artist for the song (JRemote says they cannot do it), but My Remote and JRemote continue to be plagued with connect issues.
Some of that could be me, but anyway that is my two cents.
Hope this helps.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
Remote Opinion
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:52:30 pm »

Probably should use bitremote until My River and JRemote get the bugs worked out.
They both have excellent products, but are both experiencing connect problems, etc.
BitRemote has been out longer and does work to select music by playlist or search and does it very well. 
You do not get lyrics, Bio, etc from BitRemote, but it works.
I have all three products and am very impressed with them, but also frustrated with My River and JRemote.
My Remote has everything I could ask for in a remote, including search results with song and artist for the song (JRemote says they cannot do it), but My Remote and JRemote continue to be plagued with connect issues.
Some of that could be me, but anyway that is my two cents.
Hope this helps.

I wouldn't recommend BitRemote, it's not being supported anymore.

http://www.digibit.es/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=139

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
Remote Opinion
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:33:47 am »

The latest version should be very stable, I and my beta testers do not experience the same problem,
even with heavy use over several hours MC doesn't freeze.

Please have a look at the wiki article called Stability,
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Stability
and/or check the Weird and wonderful (freak problems and their solutions) thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0
for a possible solution.

It is very hard for me to solve as I do not experience these problems.

Michael

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Remote Opinion
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:08:59 am »

I don't think txgary's advice is needed.  Neither My River nor JRemote have unusual problems.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:49:56 am »

Sorry TXgary but I have to disagree strongly, at least as far as JRemote is concerned.

I am using the app continually throughout the day. I had an issue once after an update (it would no longer start, quicly resolved by removing and reinstalling it) but other than that its been extremely stable. Even when adding more than 20,000 songs to playing now, its very fast updating including all coverart.

While it is true that every once in while someone mentions connection problems in the JRemote thread, they are usually quickly resolved and from what I gather are often not even the app's fault.

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:46:09 am »

I have my Soundgraph iMon Remote for over 3 Years now.Works great until now. Daily heavy used.
Buttons are responding like the first day.
I like the mouse function of the remote.Works also very good.
And you get a front display, too.Full Shutdown (Not only Standby) and Start (from Shutdown) HTPC with remote.
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 02:17:16 pm »

I don't think txgary's advice is needed.  Neither My River nor JRemote have unusual problems.

Agreed.  JRemote works wonderfully for me.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 04:33:29 pm »

Jim
Been with you guys all the way back to 7 or 8......
My point is that two fold:
1: I  have problems connecting to two of my 4 pc's running MC17.
One of them is connected remotely.
It appears that I can connect to only 2 at a time.  Strange, but still working on the issue.
2:  the biggest issue with JRemote is "searching"
example:  if I search for the song "crazy" how do I know if it is Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson, Seal, Aerosmith, Pat Benatar, Leann Rimes, Casey Donahew Band, or others?  JRemote does not give the artist?  Says the info is not available.
How do some of you search for songs.  Say someone has requested "crazy" by Leann Rimes, how would you search for it?
I love the product, but this is a show stopper. 
My Remote can do this, by the way.  Not sure where they are getting their "artist" info.

pcstockton

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 05:32:23 pm »

How do some of you search for songs.  Say someone has requested "crazy" by Leann Rimes, how would you search for it?
I love the product, but this is a show stopper. 

Not to be a smartass but I would go to Artist>Leann Rimes>album>track.  I rarely use search as I know where things are.  I searched for "Christmas" over the holidays and I agree it leaves a lot to be desired.  What do you use search for???

Thanks!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 06:09:51 pm »

So, Patrick, when looking for "crazy" by patsy cline, in JRemote I did the artist>P>find Patsy cline> now I have 15 albums, not knowing which contains "crazy".
Search gives me all "crazy", but does not tell me the artist. 
When using MyRiver, the search returns the song and the artist for the song.  Does not give album, but artist is good enough.
The only piece jremote is missing is the ability to quickly find a specific song and select it to play (next, end, replace)
It would be nice if you could search for patsy cline crazy and get only songs staring with crazy that are sung by patsy cline.
Unfortunately, that is not the case in JRemote.
Maybe I am asking for too much, but without a good search system, it is very difficult to find the song requested to play.
With BitRemote (I know, it is discontinued), you could go to search>"crazy">select from drop down (artist, album, search all, title)>next drop down (starts with, any word)>last drop down (show songs, show albums).  So, I select search>"crazy">title>starts with>show songs.  this gives me (in my case) 180 results with the first 49 being songs titled "crazy" only with the artist for each of those. not able to select the album for Crazy, but at least getting one of the songs for Patsy Cline "crazy".  and adding it to the que or to "next to play".
BitRemote lacked a lot of functionality, but it did have the better search argument.
I'm just saying JRemote is fast, sexy, but no really good search function making it hard to use as a jukebox type app. say for a party where you are selecting songs randomly to add to the "Playing now"
If someone out there has a good way to find a song for a particular artist in JRemote I would love to hear how you do it.
Thanks for your time
TxGary

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 06:38:44 pm »

So it seems you have a reasonable Search improvement request.  Why not post it to the JRemote thread.  It is pretty clear the author goes to *great* lengths and pains to make the software outstanding.  Judge the trend, not the current implementation.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

pcstockton

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 08:18:57 pm »

TXGary,

For now you can search for "Crazy" then scroll to Tracks and long press on it.  Add to playlist.  Then go to playlist and delete the Leann Rimes or Patsy Cline or whoever.  I have 6 different "Crazy" tracks FYI.

I am sure Les Paul will change it if he can.

-p

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 09:28:50 pm »

PCStockton
Thanks for the input.
Your solution will not work for a party where people are continuously asking for tracks to be played. 
How can we get LesPaul to review?
Thanks for your help.
Anyone else have suggestions?

pcstockton

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 09:38:31 pm »

So it seems you have a reasonable Search improvement request.  Why not post it to the JRemote thread.  It is pretty clear the author goes to *great* lengths and pains to make the software outstanding.  Judge the trend, not the current implementation.

Wadeh911

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 09:30:00 pm »

Mr my river creator,
Have uninstalled and redownloaded from itunes and reinstalled my river for iPad but it keeps locking up jriver. Using newest jriver version on the windows 7 PCM. My river will sometimes open with correct zone but when I try to choose an audio file it will just hang. When I go upstairs to jriver it shows windows program not responding. How do I find and forward my log to you hoping you can see what's going on?

I love this product capabilities so it must be me. My renderer is a micca ep600g2 on wired network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up