INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ROHQ DVD menu problems - discussion thread  (Read 5432 times)

Jong

• Citizen of the Universe
ROHQ DVD menu problems - discussion thread
« on: January 21, 2013, 04:40:39 am »

This problem was already reported in the .112 build thread:

Some DVD Menus broken (inc. in subsequent betas) using ROHQ. Eg. On Young Adult (R2) there is a Paramount menu, after the initial Paramount logo vid, where you need to chose between English and Dutch. Instead of the menu a blank screen is shown until the left or right arrow key is pressed then, together with the selection changing from, presumably, English to Dutch the menu appears. It can then be used normally. Same with Ted (R2), but this time the menu is vertical and does not appear until the up/down arrow is pressed.

Just tested this with MPC-HC and latest LAV and MadVR (same as in ROHQ) and the menu works. Looks like the problem is some interaction of LAV and MC.

Jong

Re: ROHQ DVD menu problems - discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 05:15:18 am »

Interestingly, if I add LAV Video Decoder and only that as a custom filter based on ROHQ the menu works. If I switch back to pure ROHQ the menu does not appear until the menu is forcibly refreshed by changing the selected button with the arrow key.

Maybe it's something different in the LAV settings using ROHQ but since there is no way to see what those are ( ;)) it is hard to say!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 05:19:06 am »

RO doesnt do all that many settings to LAV, it basically only enables aggressive deinterlacing and sets an appropriate HW Accel (if any). Everything else is LAV defaults.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Jong

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:33:51 am »

I tried changing the h/w decoding setting in custom mode between software and DXVA2 copyback and both worked.

Anything else I can try?

Jong

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 06:15:32 am »

Aggressive deinterlace mode is the cause. Enabling it and disabling it toggles the problem.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 06:57:16 am »

Assuming you don't have YADIF active, it sounds like your renderer (or in combination with your GPU) doesn't like deinterlacing one single frame, but needs at least two to do its job, which is why it starts working when you change the selection (sends a new frame)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Jong

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:50:57 am »

No YADIF. MadVR (of course) with an AMD7750 (13.1 driver). Auto deinterlacing is fine, just not aggressive.

Jong

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 10:21:22 am »

I can recreate the same problem in MPC-HC using MadVR + LAV with aggressive deinterlacing. But problem also occurs with EVR, so it is not specific to MadVR.

Why does ROHQ aggressively deinterlace?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 11:31:28 am »

On a lot of DVB recordings, aggressive deinterlacing is required to process improperly flagged content, and its usually safe to use.
That your GPU fails at producing an output image given only one input frame for deinterlacing is another matter.

It can probably be turned off pretty safely for DVDs in RO.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Jong

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 11:48:39 am »

Thanks nev. But "auto" seems to be the default for LAV Video Decoder, why different for ROHQ? Was it a JRiver decision, or due to user feedback or...?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 12:00:28 pm »

Didn't i just explain why its enabled by default in RO?

But RO is smart, it can have different settings depending on what you're playing, so it would be easy to simply change the option for DVD and leave it on for everything else.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 12:08:47 pm »

This is when it was added:
17.0.141 (4/30/2012)
Changed: LAV video is set to "aggressively" de-interlace mpeg-2 video in Red October mode.  This should fix broken TV streams that have some interlaced frames marked as progressive.

But we'll make sure MPEG-2 on a DVD doesn't qualify in the next build.  Like nevcairiel said, this is exactly the sort of problem Red October is designed to handle automatically.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jong

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 12:20:45 pm »

I was just wondering, nev, why, if its such a good idea, it isn't the LAV default  ;) . But great, sounds like RO can work it's wonders and give us the best of both worlds :).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 12:27:09 pm »

Next build:
Changed: LAV's aggressive deinterlacing for MPEG-2 content is disabled for DVD ( http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77533.0 ).

Thanks to both of you for the help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jong

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 12:35:44 pm »

And thank you, Matt, for the speedy change  :)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 01:32:58 pm »

I was just wondering, nev, why, if its such a good idea, it isn't the LAV default  ;) . But great, sounds like RO can work it's wonders and give us the best of both worlds :).

LAV defaults are what i think are good defaults, for the things i do with it, and i don't watch live tv or untouched dvb recordings, only post-processed and re-encoded stuff, or sourced from optical discs or streaming services.
However, aggressive deinterlacing on is usually not a bad thing. DVD support is a relatively new thing for LAV, afterall.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Jong

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 02:14:05 pm »

I was trying to understand why MC did what it did and whether it was necessary and out of that has come a solution that works for everyone.  :)

Thanks for helping me understand what settings MC was using so I could work out which was causing us problems (I do still think "video path" info would be very helpful for these kind of problems).
Pages: [1]   Go Up