INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think should be done about the Watched function/caption? Read below for more info

I don't care. I just love to vote
- 1 (6.3%)
Change the trigger threshold to 90% for Partially Watched to Fully Watched, instead of 50%
- 2 (12.5%)
Change the trigger threshold to 90% for Partially Watched to Fully Watched, instead of 50%. AND add a character to indicate the Partially Watched state
- 13 (81.3%)
It's perfect as it is. I like that videos are marked as watched after 50% duration
- 0 (0%)
Just add a character to indicate the Partially Watched state (only active under 50%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View caption - Watched/Partially Watched indicator behaviour  (Read 1605 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe

Matt asked me to check if there could be some common agreement of how the Watched function should work. It might help us work out some changes if people agree. So, why not check it out with a poll?

A few months ago, the standard caption for TV Shows and Movies was changed for Theater View. It now includes the function Watched(). This function has 3 different modes.
Watched(0) which gives you the percentage watched, and when it was last watched. This is used in some of the Small Info Panes.
Watched(1) which gives you the output of 0, 1 or 2 depending on the watched state (not watched, partially watched and fully watched).
Watched(2) which are used in the default TV Show and Movie caption. This should give you a blank output for Not Watched, an indication if the video is partially watched (missing today) and a check mark if the movie is fully watched.

The last two modes have a couple of problems.
1. The Partially watched state are not giving any output in the Watched(2) mode. The check mark for fully watched are there, but there's not any character to identify partially watched movies. Sure, this can be added by the user, but who really knows how?
2. The trigger between Partially watched and Fully watched are set to 50%, or Number Plays increase (which are also triggered above 50%).

This is why I've been suggesting changing this values, so no person find him/her self missing out on the last part of their TV Shows or movies because it's marked as watched. I'm also suggesting adding an exclamation mark to indicate those partially watched videos. I've added some options to a poll, and see if others agree.

So, what do you think should be done? Please pick the most fitting answer from the poll.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: Theater View caption - Watched/Partially Watched indicator behaviour
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 04:19:23 am »

The trigger for fully watched should be 90%, not 95%. I'm not sure how to interpret 90-95%.

I've seen movies with enough credits where 95% wouldn't cut it if you'd stop it there.

Thanks.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 04:28:12 am »

I just put 90%-95% there, because there's been some discussions on what's the right value. I agree that 90% is better than 95%. Long credits on movies is a problem. The same with credits or long endings on TV Show episodes. Especially the shorter duration ones. I'll change it, if it's a chance it'll confuse people. It's just a illustration value anyway. It does not mean this HAVE to be the correct number.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 02:00:53 am »

A gentle bump to get some more votes...

Jong

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 02:42:20 am »

I voted (unknowingly!) with the Herd.

Just to add (maybe unhelpfully and OT) I hate that tick symbol. I think it looks really unpolished. I am sure this was discussed at length elsewhere, but I really think small icons should be used for both of these states instead of random characters from some font. If they really have to be characters (can't see why in this day and age) I'd put them in their own column  and maybe in another colour, rather than just adding to the name string as at present.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 03:14:12 am »

I agree. An icon, and in another column would be ideal. Alignment would be great to have with captions. But this is what we have today. However, it's very easy to change the output of the caption your self. Even though the watched check mark is there today, and perhaps we'll get the exclamation mark for Partially watch, it will be possible to change the expression to output other items as well. You're not locked to anything that's suggested here.

I just did it this way to get something that would work for 90% of us. The rest can add their own ideas by customizing the caption or expressions, or hope for some more changes ;)

Z0001

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 05:37:14 pm »

I prefer a filtered view where i only see what I have either Watched, Not Watched, or am Watching. Not keen on the little ticks or having to read or scan each file. I prefer a screen of what's not watched for example. But it's a very personal choice. I don't think the current default view should include the MC Watched function.

I made my own scheme so can share that when I get home.

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 02:33:04 am »

I have that too. It's a must have in some cases imo. This is just to improve current defaults. Remember that the watched function can also be used to exclude watched items. So this is also for those that only want such views, and no caption. It would be a much more elegant solution than using a complex expression based on bookmarks, percentages or simply the excluding items based on number plays stats.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 05:38:26 pm »

Just to add (maybe unhelpfully and OT) I hate that tick symbol. I think it looks really unpolished. I am sure this was discussed at length elsewhere, but I really think small icons should be used for both of these states instead of random characters from some font. If they really have to be characters (can't see why in this day and age) I'd put them in their own column  and maybe in another colour, rather than just adding to the name string as at present.

I agree with this sentiment.  When that character first showed up, I thought I had some bogus character in my movie names.  I didn't even realize it was a check mark for a few months.  I thought it actually was a square root, and thought how the heck did that get there and kept looking at the metadata trying to figure out why it was showing.  I'd rather not see anything, but I can understand wanting to know what's partially watched and what's new.  Just not a character from wingdings...
Pages: [1]   Go Up