INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Install problem [Solved]  (Read 1812 times)

Sped2

Install problem [Solved]
« on: February 06, 2013, 04:49:32 pm »

MC 18 won't install.  Paid for upgrade yesterday and ran mjr file.  Says upgrade successfully installed, but still is running MC 17 version.  No upgrade happened.  Tried running the mjr file after turning off Norton 360 and still no upgrade took place.  I tried running the mjr file on another computer and the same thing happened.  I believe the install key is defective.  Also tried running from the restore page and the same thing happened.  Please address this, since I have paid for an upgrade and it isn't installing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Install problem
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:03:27 pm »

It sounds like you may not have MC18 installed.  Download again from our download page and install MC18. 

This thread explains how to license it:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

Sped2

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:48:15 am »

This is the third restore I have used and I get the same result.  I still  have MC 17.  It does not upgrade to MC 18, even though it says it is successfully installed.  Since I only have 10 restores available for the year, I am quickly running out of restores.  The screen goes black and it says MC 18 is successfully installed, but it doesn't install.  I think the mjr file is faulty.  It is not upgrading to MC 18, which I paid for.  This has been going on for several days and I keep getting directed to the same restore page and the same mjr file by Jim and it just is not working.  It did not work on my other computer either, which has MC 17 on it currently as well.  Please assist.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:55:33 am »

We have never had a "faulty" mjr file. 

Is MC18 installed?  Where did you download it and what is the full version number?

Look for MC18 in the Start menu and run it if you find it.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
Re: Re: Install problem
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:35:16 am »

Mc does not update like most apps. Both versions will be installed.

So make sure you are starting the right one. Shortcuts that you made may be pointing to the old version.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Re: Install problem
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 12:01:21 pm »

Mc does not update like most apps. Both versions will be installed.

Right.  When you "upgrade" from MC17 to MC18, your computer will have BOTH installed (and your Pinned shortcuts will still all point to the old version).  My server at home right now has MC15, 16, 17, and 18 all installed (not that I ever use the old ones, I'm just too lazy to remove them).

That sounds like it is what is happening here.
Either that, or maybe you think the MJR actually does the installation?  The MJR is only for registering a copy of MC that is already installed and working.  To install it, you have to run the installer.

Also, don't worry about the restores.  The JRiver folks can reset the count for you if you ever run out.  That's in there to keep everyone honest, but they aren't "sticklers" about it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Sped2

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 01:18:21 pm »

Oh, thank you for making that clear!!  :-* Your Interact page, and I quote, says the following: 
"If you already own MC, you can purchase an MC18 upgrade license now by using this webpage (installation of MC18 not required)." 

Apparently you have to manually install MC18 first.  I thought the mjr file did the upgrade automatically for you.   All is well.  I would suggest removing the words about installation of MC18 not being required from that page.  Thanks for helping me out.  I was getting very frustrated.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 01:19:08 pm »

Oh, thank you for making that clear!!  :-* Your Interact page, and I quote, says the following: 
"If you already own MC, you can purchase an MC18 upgrade license now by using this webpage (installation of MC18 not required)." 

Apparently you have to manually install MC18 first.  I thought the mjr file did the upgrade automatically for you.   All is well.  I would suggest removing the words about installation of MC18 not being required from that page.  Thanks for helping me out.  I was getting very frustrated.

Yeah, I've seen other people get confused with that verbage too.  Jim, you might want to look at cleaning that up a bit to make the process more clear.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up