INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whole House Media System (using MC) - Thinking Big  (Read 6910 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Whole House Media System (using MC) - Thinking Big
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:41:24 am »

Has JR investigated teaming with a HW or Installer to use MC as the core of Whole House Media systems?  You have all the "bits" but I don't see any marketing approach to position this for installers to use MC for such complete systems like what Sonos for example...  You have the software:
- Server (MC on a PC)
- Wireless Clients (Gizmo)

...but to deploy such a package system you need a package of HW and SW.

We have all various home brewed systems but what about the majority of users that just want to buy a pack that includes say:
- Prebuilt Server with MC with various storage options
- Prebuilt Android Tablets or Wireless Speakers (with the ID) that you can deploy around the house

You have tinkered with some HW such as the ID and RC but it is pretty small scale so it may need a partner.  There would also need some software tweaks to make it "easy" and provide comparable feature sets such as:
- Server: Boot into MC so they can import and manage the library in a way that is as easy as possible... eg I'm not thinking Std View but a new GUI that lets users rip new content, add devices, manage connections, configure settings from a GUI
- Clients (Speakers):  Simple ID embed ed powered speakers that can be placed anywhere in the range of WiFi connection
- Clients (Tablets):  Tablets that boot straight into Gizmo customised just for pull playback
- Control Panel (Tablet): Tablet that boots into Gizmo customised as a while house RC that can see and manage all the devices connected to the whole environment.

There are a couple of big missing features but they should not be hard to add and they include:
- Radio:  You need the ability to stream FM, DAB, and Internet radio to each of the client devices
- Intercom:  (yup got this one in!) The ability to page from one device to another

....anyway some ideas!

Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Sandy B Ridge

Re: Whole House Media System (using MC) - Thinking Big
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:13:09 am »

This is a great idea.

A JRiver certified server as a head end and multiple Intel NUC clients on VESA mounts behind multiple TVs would be a great option.

SBR

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 05:13:04 am »

Wasn't there something aimed at classical music fans?

Some sort of an appliance running MC. Can't remember exactly what it was but I think Jim answered a question about it on the forums somewhere.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 06:48:50 am »

Digibit offered a pre-built server.  Several other companies have.

It's definitely where we're headed.  We just need another $10 million.  Or a great hardware partner.  But the partner needs to be world class.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:27:46 am »

We just need another $10 million.

I'll check my couch.  :P ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:57:19 pm »

A good source for appliance computers is logic supply. They supply computers to many digital signage companies. I've used them and the are rock solid as well as inexpensive. I'm sure they would be happy to dabble in the audio market as well.

There seem to be lots of cheap android tablets as well that could work as wall mount "controllers". They even have built in audio and microphone so if JRiver were to incorporate an intercom it would work slick as can be. Jmone might weep with happiness though so have some tissues handy.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 05:30:10 pm »

They even have built in audio and microphone so if JRiver were to incorporate an intercom it would work slick as can be. Jmone might weep with happiness though so have some tissues handy.

;D ;D ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:57:21 pm »

We just need another $10 million.  Or a great hardware partner.  But the partner needs to be world class.

I heard Dell is about to have an extra $24 Billion laying around soon, and needs to diversify.  Michael lives about 20 minutes from me, should I have him give you a call?
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:37:25 pm »

I heard Dell is about to have an extra $24 Billion laying around soon, and needs to diversify.  Michael lives about 20 minutes from me, should I have him give you a call?
Maybe you could throw a rock with a note tied around it onto his driveway, or hire his paperboy to deliver it.  Thanks for the thought.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 07:43:01 pm »

Maybe you could throw a rock with a note tied around it onto his driveway, or hire his paperboy to deliver it.  Thanks for the thought.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 07:57:33 pm »

Haha, that's funny!

Unfortunately, my arm isn't that strong...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=30.327194,-97.79458&spn=0.003931,0.008256&t=k&z=18
pretend this is something funny

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 09:30:28 am »

Computer Audiophile has a series of PC's that use JRiver - C.A.P.S.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/section/c-p-s-489/

:)
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 09:53:20 am »

Computer Audiophile as a series of PC's that use JRiver - C.A.P.S.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/section/c-p-s-489/

:)

They seem to like logic supply computers as well...

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 06:48:58 pm »

The streacom case suffers on the cooling part. They are in the process of changing it. I built a htpc with that case and it becomes very very hot with a low power i3 ivy. Also as general caveat if you have restricted horizontal space (tight hifi rack) don't trust the dimensions. It's larger by good 0.7cm so it won't fit...even if anyway you shouldn't place it there as it needs a lot of space to dissipate heat.
I am nevertheless very intrigued reading the C.A.P.S page as some things sound very "audiophile voodooish  8)" to me (like the add-in USB card, or the beefy external power supply)
Cannot help myself wanting to try this out but my rational brain (the other side of the "audiophile" branded brain which tells me "these guys must be true : with these 1000$ dollar LS cables my system would certainly sound sooooooo much better and clearer  ;D) tells me that this changes nothing.

ANYWAY BACK to this thread's topic. I don't think that going to a complete PC / Server product line based around MC would be a business case right now even with a substantial investment. Also complex home setup's are still in the hand of established automation company's and they are still a bit reluctant to implement PC based server/client hardware. for instance I use a RTI system for my home and I would love to have two way feedback from MC on it. webgizmo or jremote are powerful and really good but I cannot customize it nor can I include it in another solution.

SO....As more and more people become somewhat tech savy, I would rather go with a certified for JRiver product line done by a major hardware component manufacturer...much like the ROG -for gamers- line from ASUS. Asus which by the way are trying to enter the "audiophile" segment with their essence line-up.
Without considering licencing and other possible deal-breaker's the JR-line could focus on a special GPU or soundcard/DAC or NAS product line with drivers guaranteed to be perfectly tuned for htpc use and not gaming performance.  More importantly it would come with 100% MC compatibility.
They would feature for example low profile, ultraquiet cooling, compact, extreme exact clocks and refresh rates, hdmi audio support for DSD bitstreaming, all with first grade components.
Or let's be completely over the top : they could be designed from scratch for JRiver and even be based on something else than intel, nv or amd (don't even know if that's possible) and use pro grade video components (sigma, faroudja or other what-have-you top video/audio hardware rendering chips)....................and they would be known as the "mighty" JRiver HTPC pro cards 8)

Just my a little more than 5 cents ....    

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 12:07:16 pm »

I have Streacom case, but you have to use special CPU, for instance Athlon II 270u (2 core) had TPW of 25W!!! [it is oscillating between 19 - 30], or Athlon II 610e series [45W TPW], if only JRiver was less CPU taking,

Also, this is not trivial as ALL COMPONENTS SHOULD BE TESTED [lan, wireless, sound, video, TV tuners] -> that is lot of components to test and making sure all drivers are stable etc...

Another thing: Having all the options already selected as optimal would be great!

[After 3 months I am still working on proper DSD playback, how about true 1080p24 output? Audiophiles and Videophiles are very demanding...]

And BTW: Those special USB PCI-E cards do not work with many USB DACS -> like Mytek 192.... bummer...

Also Win7 is not all that stable,

Can we please have Linux version of JRiver, [I run Mythtv on Lubuntu machine...]

JRiver on Silent/Fanless STREACOM FC5 EVO -> DSD through Firewire on Mytek 192 DSD -> CODA 05r pre/CODA 10.5 amp -> Sonics Amerigo Speakers

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 05:12:56 am »

... how about true 1080p24 output? Audiophiles and Videophiles are very demanding...]

I get true 1080/24p playback by:
- Tools --> Options --> Video --> Display Settings --> [Check] Enable Austomatic Display Settings changing and set the 23.976 and 24fps option to 1920x1080x24
- Tools --> Options --> Video --> General Video Settings --> [Check] VideoClock

All good but you have to decode the Audio (eg don't bitstream)!
JRiver CEO Elect

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 03:13:41 pm »

I have an older core2 duo and Nividia GT 430. WAY on the side of low powered. I have no issues with ROHQ at full 1080p. That includes using full bluray source material. I don't think you need all that much power for some things.

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 03:52:43 am »

I am sorry but GT-430 is not on a low powered side -> recommended PSU for this is 300W, [although the card itself probably takes 50-70W],
Intel core2 is probably another 65W...

We are talking here small computers/small cases [appliances] with laptop style PSU so 90-120W for the whole system, [including CPU,motherboard,GPU,wireless cards, memory,disks]...
I wish I could use gt-430... that is why I suggested somewhere for support for Broadcom video-decoding cards (5W plugged directly into PCI-E mini) that enables Blu-ray playback,

Nobody will like to buy full size ATX with ATX supply to put it close to their TVs or living room.

My idea -> small appliance, [no fan or possibly one small chassis fan] running JRiver being able to "automatically" rip cds, dvds,... play music and dvds plus watch and record tv...
all <120W, GT-430 is a overkill...

also -> as far as I know no graphic card (AMD, NVIDIA) are able to output stable 24p [yes I know one can make selection but the card timing is not perfect]

I have GT-430 in Lununtu machine running MythTV with OTA... but it is 280W PSU...

JRiver on Silent/Fanless STREACOM FC5 EVO -> DSD through Firewire on Mytek 192 DSD -> CODA 05r pre/CODA 10.5 amp -> Sonics Amerigo Speakers

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 09:54:12 pm »

I suggest Intel NUC BOXDC3217BY [next unit of computing]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102001

or even http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

That would be awesome...

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 06:13:47 am »

Contact www.hfx.at as a possible partner?

PatrickC

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 08:59:48 pm »

I used to work across the street from a company with deep pockets that might be well positioned for this. Just add a MC developed NUC and guidance and VIOLA!
LOGITECH
Patrick
Assassin HTPC, Onkyo TX-NR929, Oppo BDP-83, Vortex Appliance NAS, Logitech SB Touch, GoldenEar Triton 7, GoldenEar SCX, 4 NHT Super Ones(Height & Surr.), Sunfire True Sub, WDTV Live Streaming, plus incomplete WHA.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 09:50:41 pm »

last I checked Apple had $137 billion in cash, try them  ;D

Shmoo17

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 12:47:37 am »

I will be paying attention to this thread, as I have plans for the HTPC to manage the media storage and feed the home network WIFI just as discussed.  Its such a strain on the laptop thats doing all the downloading and the social media.

Feeding WD Live TV boxes in other rooms plus feeding the main system is the plan.  So if a Media Servier built off of all your blood, sweat, and experienced tears saves me starting from scratch.... I'm all for it :)

HiFiTubes

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 12:08:45 pm »

I get true 1080/24p playback by:
- Tools --> Options --> Video --> Display Settings --> [Check] Enable Austomatic Display Settings changing and set the 23.976 and 24fps option to 1920x1080x24
- Tools --> Options --> Video --> General Video Settings --> [Check] VideoClock

All good but you have to decode the Audio (eg don't bitstream)!

Sidetrack - the only way I could achieve these settings was to make my LG 47" my primary display and save. Otherwise they aren't even options when my Samsung 27" is set as primary.

Pages: [1]   Go Up