INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving a library from Windows to Mac  (Read 8304 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Moving a library from Windows to Mac
« on: February 21, 2013, 01:05:28 pm »

We don't have enough information yet to be able to describe how to move a library from a Windows PC to a Mac.

It may not be possible, so you're better off to just import the files.

If you want to try, here's a little information.

1.  If you use File/Library/Backup on Windows, you can save a snapshot of the library and settings.

2.  If you then restore this backup on a Mac, you may get much of what you need.

3.  The path to your audio will be different.  For example, the paths might be:

C:\Music on Windows

/users/leroy/music on OSX

4.  You can try using MC's Library Tool called "Move, Copy, Rename".  Use the Rename tool in Find & Replace mode.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Moving a library from Windows to Mac
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 02:37:52 pm »

4.  You can try using MC's Library Tool called "Move, Copy, Rename".  Use the Rename tool in Find & Replace mode.

Hm. These two fields are greyed-out so I can't access them.

Micah

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 03:14:04 pm »

Yup, confirmed.  The entire dialog is not functional yet.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:18:03 pm »

Yup, confirmed.  The entire dialog is not functional yet.

Good to know.

erviv

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 06:22:58 am »

Is there a simple way to import the library to external drive?  I would like everything to be not using the storage of my MBP but my wireless drive?  These are my current settings:
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 07:24:56 am »

Tools/Import/Auto import, then add or edit.

erviv

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 09:39:32 am »

Sorry Jim I did not make myself clear.  I can readily import files to the default settings, as shown in the posting two above. That works very well. However what do I need to change to make the default setting say in an external drive Z:\?  What naming convention is also recommended.  ie should I create a folder Z:\JRiver\Media Centre 18\.  Also do I need to set each of the temporary folders, art cover folders also?
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

mikebarney

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 05:01:52 am »

Jim-
Any idea when the Mac version will have the ability to Restore a library backed up in the Windows version?
I bought the Mac license when first announced, but haven't started using it yet because of no easy way to restore my library.
Thanks,
Mike

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 10:46:42 am »

Jim-
Any idea when the Mac version will have the ability to Restore a library backed up in the Windows version?
I bought the Mac license when first announced, but haven't started using it yet because of no easy way to restore my library.
Thanks,
Mike

+1

(That's why I haven't bought a Mac license, yet.)

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
  • These are not the Druids you are looking for.
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 11:46:53 am »

I'm going to test converting a MC 18 Windows backup. Most of my library is Mac-oriented but on a side note have needed to do some name place changes to iTunes playlists using Find/Replace in the Mac's Dashcode XML program. This situation does sound similar. I will report on my experiment, and hopefully will not encounter any gray-out issues as described in various posts.

-- Tom
Windows PC (2023)
- Media Center Playback Host (DNLA), primary library source - Windows 11 Pro - Intel 12th Gen Core i7-12700KF@3.60 GHz - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB (16x2) RAM DDR4 3200 - EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3, 10 GB VRAM - WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X SSD - Mac Mini M1 (2020) - MSI GE Series GE66 Raider Laptop

JimH

• Administrator

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
  • These are not the Druids you are looking for.
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 02:14:34 am »

From my tests, and no scripting (I'm really new at that), but with post-Restore directory name changes, I was able to construct a reasonable copy of the PC library onto MC 18 Mac. I can go through the process again to take screen shots. The findings:

--The process involved a local hard drive location (attached to Mac).

--The data for the most part only needs the directory location to change except for a small problem with entries that begin with a certain characters such as a period (like .38 Special) (see below).

--MC 18 PC can translate iTunes XML playlists without any modifications. However, exporting playlists from MC 18 PC to MC 18 Mac does not work. Therefore, if you wish to use iTunes PC Playlists in MC 18 Mac, make sure they're imported into MC 18 PC before backing up the MC 18 PC library.

--The Restore appears to wipe out the previous data in the library.

--Except for the odd character issue, the directory change can be done using Rename, Move, and Copy Files from the Library Tools menu selection (right clicking on a song or batch of songs).

--The path must match the source of the file on the drive connected to the Mac.

The character issue I encountered was during my initial testing that included a couple songs by .38 Special. For some reason, the conversion rule of [Album]\[Artist] caused the underscore character ( _ ) to change to a period. I had to apply an extra Find and Replace to maintain the integrity of the path. Curiously enough, the problem did not happen on the Album or Song part of these files, nor on the other test songs, and several had underscores that stood for various characters such as ( " ) and ( ! ).

Therefore, apart from that one issue, I was able to change the PC file address to the one on the Mac drive, updated the Tag (from file) info, and was done.

Example: D:\Music to /Users/name/Music/ . An external drive may need additional info to target the correct drive (Ex: /Volumes/Media Library/...).

I haven't tested any Concert music pieces with extended filenames and special characters as of yet.

A thought: I wondered if MC 18 Mac might incorporate Applescript into the system besides the JRiver script language? Just wondering....not wanting to set up a separate thread for that right now, just something for the wish list.

I'm sprucing up my music files for the big move to come later this year (it's a large library). Keep up the good work!

-- Tom
Windows PC (2023)
- Media Center Playback Host (DNLA), primary library source - Windows 11 Pro - Intel 12th Gen Core i7-12700KF@3.60 GHz - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB (16x2) RAM DDR4 3200 - EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3, 10 GB VRAM - WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X SSD - Mac Mini M1 (2020) - MSI GE Series GE66 Raider Laptop
Pages: [1]   Go Up